Now this title might be successful

World War II: General Commander is an introductory war strategy game which brings a unique mix of scale, combat dynamics, and force management. An intuitive combination of rules and controls will give beginning wargamers and real time strategy fans the opportunity to simulate Germany’s famous last Blitzkrieg from either side.
Blond_Knight

Now this title might be successful

Post by Blond_Knight »

Im sure many of you like me had read the debate about this title and its limited activation BS. And like me maybe you thought 'looks interesting but with that DRM I'll keep my money.'
Matrix if you use your usual serial key for installation I'll definately buy this...and maybe you could think about selling Stormfront's Jutland too?
Hertston

RE: Now this title might be successful

Post by Hertston »

I'm another who took one look at the DRM and said 'no thanks' (and looking at their forums the DRM choice was a catastrophic own goal - 150 posts in six months?!). Not a definite buy, but I might well take the plunge in the continuing absence of BftB if the price is right.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Good point. IF Bftb is released first all bets are off.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I thought the demo was promising. Didn't really get a feel for the AI, but I always envisioned a game with the zoom-able features of this one.
Weavos

Post by Weavos »

So, is this game like Total War in WWII time?
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

It had more of a Combat Mission feel to it, on a batallion level.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Just went to their website, as I had never heard of this company, and clicked on "The Games" link, where only two games are listed. World War II: General Commander is listed as "Coming Soon!! Spring 2008!!"
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I'm another who took one look at the DRM and said 'no thanks' (and looking at their forums the DRM choice was a catastrophic own goal - 150 posts in six months?!).

Yep, they scored an own goal.
You guys might remember the discussion in the BFTB forum, where one of the french devs of WWII:GeneralCommander then stepped in, confirming rumors about the DRM and the limited number of activations (5).
I did some research for several hours - back then, but could not get any info (besides the few infos on their webby) - let alone a review, then I came across some comment in a 3rd party forum, where a customer expressed his disappointemt - as he found out about the DRM only during the installation of the game, or right after, with the guy emphasizing the fact that their website did not mention it anywhere.

So, the rather bad reception might be the reason for them doing a 2nd attempt now, giving it a go at Matrix.

After I had I forwarded the info (that installs are limited) in the thread and after wondering about the fact why their website would not provide important infos, the dev said, after confirming the limit, that the game was "designed, mainly, for multiplayer mode". The dev also posted a copy of a dev's posting on wargamer, stating the current number of activations, and asking readers to trust the new company and the devs.

EDIT: In post #13 he even corrects himself and states that the game can be installed 3 times only. !

tm.asp?m=1962335

Well, according to ppl who checked out the game, the AI was (still is?) average or below, and the focus was on multiplayer. I wonder if a "Matrix Edition" would be different and if there'd still be a DRM. Well, at least their information policy will improve now, since Matrix is going to publish it. If Matrix would just publish it "as is", with the game having the focus on MP, while still advertizing a decent AI/SP, that'd be pretty disappointing, though.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
sarjen

Post by sarjen »

I hope that this game will not be a dead horse. It looks promising but the comments on the net and the forums are not very nice. Medium AI, strict DRM plus the fact that it doesnt run on high resolutions (at least not the demo at 1650x1080) surly should bring matrixgames to release a better edition.
GIveloper

Post by GIveloper »

Hi Crimguy/Weavos,

No really any of those games, TT is a perfect game for its historical focus (Rome/Medieval/Empire) but the two level of game Tactical/Stratageic is not appropiate for WWII. The key WWII is the battle size, they are huge!! So WWII: GC is focus to solve that; how to simulate those huge scenarios in PC game context. Perhaps reading the developer note an play the Demo will provide you a better understanding of what we try to do.

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2725/wo ... -commander
WWII: GC Designer
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Is this the one that Battlefield.com was going to publish but backed down on? If my memory serves me right. I am not sure if it is the same game.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
GIveloper

Post by GIveloper »

Hi Titanwarrior89,
&nbsp;
Battlefield is not publishing WWII:GC, I will check what game could be......
WWII: GC Designer
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I was just wondering. Someone mention the game seemed close to combat mission at battalion level. Battlefield was publishing something like or seemed like this but it went down the tubes. So I thought maybe it might be the same game.
ORIGINAL: GIveloper

Hi Titanwarrior89,

Battlefield is not publishing WWII:GC, I will check what game could be......
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

That was me. It really has very little in common with CM. It felt a bit like Close Combat, but far away ;-D

Return to “World War II: General Commander”