A few questions about the rules

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Caquineur

A few questions about the rules

Post by Caquineur »

Hello everyone,

Could you help [&:] to become [:)] by answering those questions ?

11.16.3 HQ support (option 13)
Support
After all land attacks are declared, the inactive side announces HQ support for target hexes. You can only allocate 1 face-up HQ to support each hex. It must be in, or adjacent to, the target hex. It can’t provide support to a unit it does not co-operate with, to an adjacent hex if it is separated from it by an impassable hexside, or if its own hex is also being attacked.
  • How could a HQ provide support to a unit in the same hex it is in ("in ... the target hex") without having its own hex being attacked ?

11.16.5 Resolving attacks
AsA/MiF/PoliF option 2: Divisions count as 1/2 a unit (rounding up).
  • Does it mean that 1 division = 2 divisions = 1 corps or army = 1 unit ?

14.4 CV units
A carrier plane can fly a mission to any hex in range. Measure the range from any hex-dot in the CV’s sea area (it’s usually best to pick the hex-dot closest to your target). A carrier plane can fly, and return from, a port attack mission that is out of range, if the port is adjacent to any hexdot in the sea area.
  • How could a carrier plane be out of range if the port is adjacent to any hexdot in the sea area ?

Thanks for your help, gentlemen - of course, should there be a member of the gentler gender here, do not hesitate to speak [:D]

Alain
Joseignacio

RE: A few questions about the rules

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

Hello everyone,

Could you help [&:] to become [:)] by answering those questions ?

11.16.3 HQ support (option 13)
Support
After all land attacks are declared, the inactive side announces HQ support for target hexes. You can only allocate 1 face-up HQ to support each hex. It must be in, or adjacent to, the target hex. It can’t provide support to a unit it does not co-operate with, to an adjacent hex if it is separated from it by an impassable hexside, or if its own hex is also being attacked.
  • How could a HQ provide support to a unit in the same hex it is in ("in ... the target hex") without having its own hex being attacked ?

11.16.5 Resolving attacks
AsA/MiF/PoliF option 2: Divisions count as 1/2 a unit (rounding up).
  • Does it mean that 1 division = 2 divisions = 1 corps or army = 1 unit ?

14.4 CV units
A carrier plane can fly a mission to any hex in range. Measure the range from any hex-dot in the CV’s sea area (it’s usually best to pick the hex-dot closest to your target). A carrier plane can fly, and return from, a port attack mission that is out of range, if the port is adjacent to any hexdot in the sea area.
  • How could a carrier plane be out of range if the port is adjacent to any hexdot in the sea area ?

Thanks for your help, gentlemen - of course, should there be a member of the gentler gender here, do not hesitate to speak [:D]

Alain

Alain, my interpretation:

1- An HQ can give HQ support to the hex where it is or any adjacent hex. Exception: If the HQ hex is being attacked at the same time, then it cannot give HQ support to the adjacent ( I think it could give to it`s own hex however).

2- A division counts like 1/2 corps. It means:

2 corps = 2 units.
2 corps + 1 div = 2,5 units=3 units.
2 corps + 2 div = 3 units.

3- I think we are speaking of planes that fly from their ship in a certain sea to a hexdot adjacent to a port. I cannot have a wif map now but I think that could be the case of sending a plane from a carrier in (to be continued)

Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

A HQ can give HQ support to the hex where it is or any adjacent hex. Exception: If the HQ hex is being attacked at the same time, then it cannot give HQ support to the adjacent ( I think it could give to it`s own hex however).

Muchas gracias, José Ignacio.

Now that I've read your answer, it seems quite obvious. I really should stop seeing problems where there aren't any... [:(]

2 corps = 2 units.

OK, so I guess the formula "1 division = 2 divisions = 1 corps or army = 1 unit" is OK.

Alain
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

A HQ can give HQ support to the hex where it is or any adjacent hex. Exception: If the HQ hex is being attacked at the same time, then it cannot give HQ support to the adjacent ( I think it could give to it`s own hex however).

Muchas gracias, José Ignacio.

Now that I've read your answer, it seems quite obvious. I really should stop seeing problems where there aren't any... [:(]

Alain

De rien

It happens to me all the time, not only not undertanding, but what is worse, sometimes "understanding them wrong"... [:D]

As for the thid one, I have been trying to see a map online but I guess it is about one fleet, for example close to the notrh pole that sends a plane from a carrier to a hexdot adjacent to a port like Arkhangelsk (I cannot see the map so I don't know if thi is possible), the bomber would not need to be able to reach arkhangelsk, but only the hexdot adjacent. It needs only to reach the hexdot to be able to attack any of the ports that are adjacent to it.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

2 corps = 2 units.

OK, so I guess the formula "1 division = 2 divisions = 1 corps or army = 1 unit" is OK.

Alain
[/quote]

It depends. Is ok as far as there are no more divisions involved. If any, then you need to sum them all as 0,5 corps and the round the result up.

1 division= 2 divisions= 1 corps
2divisions= 1 corps
3 divisions= 4 divisions= 2 corps

Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

As for the thid one, I have been trying to see a map online but I guess it is about one fleet, for example close to the notrh pole that sends a plane from a carrier to a hexdot adjacent to a port like Arkhangelsk (I cannot see the map so I don't know if thi is possible), the bomber would not need to be able to reach arkhangelsk, but only the hexdot adjacent. It needs only to reach the hexdot to be able to attack any of the ports that are adjacent to it.

As, according to the rules, one can "measure the range from any hex-dot in the CV’s sea area", I don't understand how a unit could be out of range of any adjacent hex-dot ?

Thank you very much for your time, it's great to get answers so fast
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

Alain

It depends. Is ok as far as there are no more divisions involved. If any, then you need to sum them all as 0,5 corps and the round the result up.

1 division= 2 divisions= 1 corps
2divisions= 1 corps
3 divisions= 4 divisions= 2 corps

Yes, you're right, that's what I meant, but it's clearer as you worded it.

[:)]
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

No problem, I have few work by now. [:'(]

I think the rule means that the plane would be out of range to reach the port but not to reach the hexdot .

However, if I am not wrong, the planes can only reach the hexes within their range as a general rule, it's not like the ground units that can reach always the adjacent hex.

It means a plane with a range of less than 6 cannot reach a hex-dot from a sea. But if it can (range 6 or more) it can bomb any port adjacent to that hex-dot even if it's range would not let it reach (theoretically) that port.
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

I think the rule means that the plane would be out of range to reach the port

That is the part I do not understand (and believe me, I'm trying [:D]) : as one can "measure the range from any hex-dot in the CV’s sea area", I really don't understand how a carrier plane could be out of range of a port, if this port is adjacent to at least one hexdot in the sea area ?
Unless some carrier planes have '0' range ? [&:]

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

For a CvP to be out of range is fairly easy, some old CvP have very small ranges, and a hexagone in the outside Box is 4 hex away in range (IIRC), Pacific/Asia map is 2 hex, so the CvP could be out of range of the adjacent hexes without the rule clarification.
Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

For a CvP to be out of range is fairly easy, some old CvP have very small ranges, and a hexagone in the outside Box is 4 hex away in range (IIRC), Pacific/Asia map is 2 hex, so the CvP could be out of range of the adjacent hexes without the rule clarification.

OK thanks, I think I understand now : the range is reduced as specified in "11.3 Naval air missions" : "...Reduce its range by the same number it would have cost to enter the section it came from (i.e. 10 from the 4 section, 6 from the 3 section, and so on)".

I had completely forgotten that.

Thank you both for your help !
lavisj

Post by lavisj »

OK thanks, I think I understand now : the range is reduced as specified in "11.3 Naval air missions" : "...Reduce its range by the same number it would have cost to enter the section it came from (i.e. 10 from the 4 section, 6 from the 3 section, and so on)".

I had completely forgotten that.

Thank you both for your help !

This does not apply to CVP, but to planes moving from a Sea Box back to land during naval air missions.
CVP start at the hex dot, and do not have to count from their sea box. (14.4).

You were correct previsouly in the fact that a CVP will always be in range of a hex bordered by a hex dot in the sea zone the CVP is in.

Jerome
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

ORIGINAL: lavisj

This does not apply to CVP, but to planes moving from a Sea Box back to land during naval air missions.

You were correct previsouly in the fact that a CVP will always be in range of a hex bordered by a hex dot in the sea zone the CVP is in.

Jerome

Thanks, Jerome !

So, if I understand you correctly, the sentence "A carrier plane can fly, and return from, a port attack mission that is out of range, if the port is adjacent to any hexdot in the sea area." is useless, and could be left out in RAW future editions and RAC ?
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

It is NOT useless in WiF, it is useless in MWiF wich have a one size all hexagone.

In boardgame WiF certain hexes on certain map count for more than one hex of range...
Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

It is NOT useless in WiF, it is useless in MWiF wich have a one size all hexagone.

In boardgame WiF certain hexes on certain map count for more than one hex of range...

OK, thanks for the precision, I misunderstood "outside Box" in your previous post.

Alain
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

No.

First of all, for an air unit at sea to fly an air mission to a land hex (e.g., ground strike) it must be either: (1) an organized carrier air unit on-board a carrier or (2) an organized carrier when you are playing without the optional rule Carrier Air Units. In the latter case, MWIF generates a 'temporary' carrier air unit to fly the mission. What we are talking about here are carrier air units at sea flying missions to land hexes.

The sea box section the carrier is in has no effect on determining the range of the air unit.

Some land hexes are considered 'adjacent' to a sea area even though the land hex is not adjacent to an all sea hex dot. For example, London, Hamburg, ... If you count the number of hexes from the closest all sea hex dot to the target hex it can be 2, 3, 4 or more(?). In those situations, even air units without sufficient range (counting from the closest all sea hex dot) are permitted to fly the air mission (to and from) if the target hex is 'adjacent'.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

While MWIF uses a global map where all hexes are treated equally, what you say here is not why the text in RAW is needed. See my other post for a fuller explanation.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I thought only Port Strikes were allowed when the target hex is too far from a sea hex-dot, and not other air missions?
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I have a beginner's question, I know how we have been playing until now but I would like to know wether it's correct or not:

A fleet is blocked in a port where all his exits to sea/s are blocked by enemy ships, outside his home country. Thus, it's unsupplied. A new ship of the same nationality of that fleet appears from another port and gets in one of these seas. Now the fleet in prot is supplied.

Could the fleet inside the port move normally? We have been playing like it can, however, I think maybe it's not correct since all the naval movements need to be done in the naval phase, and so they would be simultaneous. If they are simultaneous, the new ship cannot supply the fleet before they move.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: lavisj

Jerome

Thanks, Jerome !

So, if I understand you correctly, the sentence "A carrier plane can fly, and return from, a port attack mission that is out of range, if the port is adjacent to any hexdot in the sea area." is useless, and could be left out in RAW future editions and RAC ?

I think my answer was directed to what the RAW call “large” hex-dots, hence my interpretation of the off-map boxes.
Unlike other wargames, the hexes stop at the coastlines. Hexes at sea are replaced by hex-dots - each hex-dot is at the centre of what would otherwise be a hex. When moving an aircraft unit across hex-dots, or when counting hexes, just imagine you are moving from hex to hex.
Example:

The use of hex-dots is partly aesthetic but also serves to show that the presence of land units is not permitted.

Some hex-dots are “large” hex-dots. Only large hex-dots are adjacent to off-map hexes. So, you can only move between a hex-dot and an off-map hex if the hex-dot is large. Large hex-dots can also be adjacent to normal hexes or normal hex-dots.

After thinking again, and reading the text again, I think Greywolf explanation is the only one I can think of, too.

Return to “World in Flames”