Pbem109 - Do you hear the people sing?!

Post here to record and share your greatest victories and worst defeats with other players.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

terje439

Pbem109 - Do you hear the people sing?!

Post by terje439 »

Yes, yes, I stole that line from some musical I know.

Anyway, a new pbem, a new AAR.
I will link the other players AARs as we will try to get quite a few of them together.
This AAR is also posted at civfanatics.

[/b]Game settings[/b]: 1792 All-generals mod by Russian Guard ([&o]), 23 years, highest glory, bonaparte march attrition,
advanced economy.

Players/AARs:
Anthropoid/Russia
Aprezto/Preussia
Mus/Britain
Matto/Austria
IronWarrior/Spain
06 Maestro/Turkey
AndrewKurtz/Sweden
Terje439(yup, that's me)/France (after all I've been refered to as the source of all evil in "another pbem", so why not play the part?)

All you guys in pbem109, you may read this far, but that is it!

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
terje439

RE: Do you hear the people sing?!

Post by terje439 »

Turn 1

I will start the game allready at war with Austria and Preussia. Fortunately none of those nations has any military units close to my borders, but I am certain they will be arriving shortly.
This means that I will need to gather my units, and form army units, attach generals to said armies and place depots for my armies so the men do not starve.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (173.05 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 1 continued

I mentioned allready that Preussia and Austria does not have any military units close to my border, if we look at the map of Europe we understand why.

Attachments
CoGEE.jpg
CoGEE.jpg (156.26 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Still Turn 1

Well, the Napoleonic era also saw extensive use of diplomats, so who am I to judge them wrong? Guess I better make use of my diplomatic corps as well.

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (260.02 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 1 last check

And since I am at war, I better look at the replacements that are sent out to my troops, do I have enough men? Are they good enough? After all, a division without any men cannot fight.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (209.38 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Short time goals
The red circle I hope to capture in the first war (the one I am allready in).
Blue circles I hope to gain by diplomacy and economic grants.
Yellow circles, I might attack or try to gain by diplomacy.

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 2

Thankfully no enemy army has appeared in sight of my borders yet. This gives me more time to gather my forces and prepare. The Austrians and Preussians will arrive. The question is when, where and how. Will they use private messages (on the games main forum) to plan a coordinated attack, or will they attack piecemeal?
All France can do at the moment is to wait and prepare. If they attack piecemeal, I should be able to field better troops than the Austrians, but the Preussian army is modern, well led and well equipped.

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (246.35 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 2 continued

This turn also revealed some diplomacy effort. I have sent an offer to Spain were I guarantee not to attack Spain for 5 years if they guarantee the same for 3 years. To keep some secrecy I decided to keep this treaty secret to all but me and Spain. This should allow me time to rebuild my armies after the war with Austria/Preussia.
At the same time the Preussian King is eager to send his daughter to England to form royal ties with the British. My guess is that Preussia is hoping for British cash in return.
The Russians and Turkish try to make eachother not to form treaties with Spain. Now that is a move I can only understand if Turkey has serious ambitions in North Africa.
Under all circumstances the frontiers are being drawn.

Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (142.53 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 3

Nothing much happens this month. All proposed diplomatic actions were declined. Seems Spain wants to have the option of attacking us at a time chosen by her.

We need to produce more Glory if we want to win the game, this should be doable by gaining some target provinces and by winning battles.

The only good thing this month was that our people continued to feel happy. A happy population means you will not be knocked out of the war too easy.

Spain also seemed to have sent her diplomats to Italy as the southern parts of Italy is now shown as a part of Spain. This is not good, we need those provinces to generate glory as well. We must rethink the Spanish problem after the war with Austria and Preussia.

Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 4

Still no sight of enemy armies. This is good as our total forces still only number some 90.000 troops. The longer they wait, the better.
However our national income of labour is a little too low, so no new military units have been ordered so far, however now all provinces have been given production-orders, and been given the resources needed for those orders. The next ammount of labour that is produces will be going towards the construction of a new infantery division.

For the time being we will not move out and try to take Luxembourg or Flanders, we will wait a little while to allow our troops to gain even more strength before we push on. The fact that the Austrian/Preussian armies are nowhere to be seen also means that we need to guard Paris by not moving our armies too far away.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 5

Still no sight of enemy armies. This pause is a blessing. It gives us time to build up our forces. But we will try to use this break to take the fortress of Luxembourg from the Austrians. Since Luxembourg is a protectorate, it means that if we capture the province it automatically becomes French territory without any peace talks. If we capture a normal Austrian province we will have to hand it over when peace is declared.
We also issue the orders to raise a new infantry division in Paris. We chose to do so in Paris because this is the city with the highest level of baracks, which again improves the quality of the units created there.

Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (236.13 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 6

The Austrians have decided to go to war with Poland. That is great news! They will need to keep atleast some of their armies in the east to capture Polish provinces before the Russians do so as the Russians too have issued a DoW on Poland.
France is in Polands dept for this.

France on the other hand, being a peace loving people decides to use their diplomatic powers in the hope that some of the minors will ask France to protect them from harm.
There are two ways to use diplomats to gain control over minor nations.

a) I could try to make a coup, this makes the minor a part of France in every way, allowing us to use their provinces to produce anything we need.
b) By becoming friendly enough the minor might ask us to protect them (form a protectorate). This transfers their fleet/armies to us, but they regain some freedom in that we do not get to run their provinces. They will however pay some cash and deliver some goods every turn. The provinces of these nations will not count towards the limit for waste, which is a really good thing to avoid.

Of the nations we currently engage in diplomacy with, we hope for option a) on all three. This is most important with The Netherlands as we want their fleet, espesially since Britain formed a protectorate with Denmark, seizing the Danish fleet.

Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (269.42 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 7

We start our siege at Luxembourg and cause aprox 1000 casualties and take the same ourself. At this rate we will need 6 months before the fortress is taken.
The Inf we started building in Paris was completed and the division was ordered into one of our two almost empty armies. Another Inf division was ordered in Paris.

Poitou finishes its construction and we have to order something new built here. When looking at the city it becomes clear that we only really have two options (well four really but...)
(To build a dock or barrack would increase the training points we get for reasearch, but the time is not right. We need to build our economy first.)
We either build a bank or a farm. Since we currently have enough food, and we have a goal of expanding our military money is a better bet here.

Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (229.74 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 8 - part 1

An eventful turn. We will start with the events were we are directly involved.

Our siege in Luxembourg only killed a mere 108 Austrians (there should be some 6000 left in the fortress), so another army with 22.000 men were ordered to leave Paris and aid the siege at Luxembourg.
Once more our valiant diplomats and not so valiant bribes increased our understanding with Genoa, Switzerland and The Netherlands.
Alot of our provinces finished their constructions, and we ordered the following to be built - 3 farms, 1 bank, 2 barracks, 1 court. Had we had more national labour we would have ordered 2 more farms, but that will have to wait untill next month.

Sweden and Britian made a deal, and taking a wild guess, they will soon include Preussia as well (as soon as Preussia and I are at peace, which should be in five months as there then has been no hostility for a year).

Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (163.4 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 8 - Part 2

Not only were the Austrians attacking Poland with their army, it seems they did their best to form a coup as well, infortunately, this turn their diplomats succeeded. This is bad news for us. The European map is completely redrawn, and Austria is now so big that she will experience alot of wast, which is good for us.

Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (146.97 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 9

It seems the Austrians were too well aware that waste might be an issue. They are offering alot of provinces to Preussia and Russia in exchange for enforced peace and/or closer alliances.
This severely upsets the power balance in Europe if this comes into being. All France can do to counter this is to awaken Sweden and Turkey and let them know that this means Russia is free to deal with them as she pleases, and in the event of Turkey, maybe even with Austrian aid.

Not all news are bad however, our diplomats continue their good tradition of improving relationships with minor nations, and our armies finally conquered Luxembourg. We ordered our armies to move to Flanders to take that province as well. This is a badly needed province, as it is one of the best textile and wool producers in Europe.

Several of our provinces finished their constructions, and we order two farms, two banks and three courts to be improved. This leaves four provinces without any construction for the time being, but our labour simply does not allow it. Espesially since our main labour producing province (Paris) is suffering snow.

We also finished the construction of our infantery division, another will be ordered next turn, being more needed than constructions.

Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (208.65 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 9.5

This being a pbem game, alot takes place between turns as we(the rulers) discuss the politics in private messages at the Matrixgames forum. Whenever I post a .5 turn, it is to indicate that this has taken place outside the game itself.

We recieved a message from King Mus of Britain, it read;

Great Britain notes with alarm that Austria has nearly doubled in size in one turn and is looking for ways to counter balance this potentially destabilizing force.

Because of this alarming occurence Great Britain is forced to reevaluate our previous desire to stand apart in Continental matters, save for moves intended to safeguard the security of the British Isles by maintaining Naval Supremacy (in the matter of Denmark, etc.).

A potential source of contention between France and Great Britain being Holland, I propose a one year enforced peace between our countries, during which Great Britain and France will simultaneously DOW Holland and Great Britain eliminates its naval fleets, while France takes its lands. That source of contention removed Great Britain would find it acceptable for France to assume more natural borders along the Rhine (Holland, Kleves, Palitinate, etc.) and in Savoy/Piedmont.

While still wishing to remain uninvolved in Continental matters this would provide a counterweight to potential further Austrian aggression.

Let me know your thoughts on these matters at the earliest convenience. Prussia and Russia not having our experience in the Realpolitik of PBEM we expect them to naively go along with Austrias purchase of a free hand in Central Europe.

Have not had discussions with Turkey but expect they will be very alarmed by this development

To this our reply was as follows;

Hmm, I see your point of view, but once more it seems you are offering a very one sided deal I am afraid. You know VERY well that Holland now is beyond your grasp, Holland is actually not a debate, Holland is now mine in all ways.

However I can offer a gentlemans treaty to disband the Dutch fleet after Holland turns French. The main problem with your proposal is that France does not desiree to have Holland as occupied territory, we prefer them as protectorates.

And the borders WILL be redrawn quite soon, too many tiny nations that just awaits to be swallowed by Preussia and Austria has to be removed for the protection of France.

I agree that the Austrian offer on the table these days might seem very tempting to Preussia and Russia, but I hope they contemplate what this does about the powerbalance in Europe, as well as how this ONLY benefits Austria.

All this being said, France has no issues with Great Britain, and we are more than willing to sign a deal of enforced peace. 1 year vs 1 year, 2 years vs 3 years, 3 years vs 4 years or even 4 years vs 5 years
(where we will guarantee our peaceful intentions for the longest period).

Ruler L'Terje of France

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 9.5 part 2

Another message from King Mus. This one is not so friendly intonated.

You are misunderstanding me regarding Holland.

It is not a question of who controls Holland. Its a question of whether or not we end up at war over Holland when I decide to sink the Dutch Navy.

Start mentally calculating how many countries you want to be at war with and if you stop before you get to three get back to me.

The one year enforced peace between France and Great Britain is to prevent Holland from becoming a protectorate of anyone so you can own it outright while I destroy its navy.

Our reply was a short one;

That is the point, France has NO desire of owning Holland outright, they prefer it as a protectorate. However our gentlemans offer of scuttling the Dutch fleet once Holland seeks French protection still stands.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 9.5 part 3

And then Britain starts with a threathening tone...

I believe you are confused with liberating provinces and some of the glory bugs from the previous game where people were getting hit for failing to liberate provinces they didnt possess that were part of the same political entity. Not creating protectorates. Dont think you suffer a glory penalty for creating a protectorate. I created one or two in the original PBEM game as Turkey without suffering penalty IIRC.

Even if you did suffer a penalty it would be a wash, made up for by the points you get for capturing capitals and what not (glory for capturing capitals and provinces are substantial, load a previous turn in which you know you did this and check your glory report).

Plus Holland is a political target for France and becomes a source of "glory income" from there forward.

Beyond that, I find the claim that my offer is "one sided" laughable.

There are several advantages to the offer, which you could think of, if you spent a little time on the subject.

Maybe look at a map, start counting rifles, start doing a little math on where your money is coming from for starters. Look at the diplomatic overview and start paying attention to the rumor panel when it comes to secret agreements.

I could go into specifics but wont for fear of tipping my hand this early in the game.

My reply were thus;

Hmm seems you are correct, no penalty for forming a protectorate, my bad.

Well the deal might not be one side per ce, but certainly heavy in favor of Britain.

And again, we are bargaining, and Britain immediately goes on threathening, what is that all about?

Secret treaties...Well, I've known from the start that I would have to fight on several fronts, and if you are talking about Spain...We'll see what happens there.
And you yourself might be in for a surprise or two here, do not forget that not every secret treaty shows up on the rumor report, nor are every rumor true.

But here is my counter offer:
-3 year enforced peace both ways
-gentleman understanding (will be named and shamed on the forum) of payment of 1000$ (in game) if one nation does not honor his deal to DoW Holland.
-removal of ALL British diplomats from French soil
-French privateers are NOT to be hunted down anymore, nor are British ones.
-every Mediterranian Island is to be debated about before being captured by either power
-France is given free hands towards European minors, as are Britain
-Both parts will NOT make ANY diplomatic deals with Austria.

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 8.5 part 4

Another message from Britain, this time somewhat toned down. A concenus should be reached soon.

I have to be able to use my diplomats where ever I see fit.I will put a gentlemens agreement not to do "aggressive" missions with them such as insurrection, etc. for the duration of the enforced peace.

Any privateer thats in the business of sitting on British trade routes will be sunk on sight. British privateers have been kept in port so as not to interfere with the free flow of goods. When Great Britain goes to war our privateers will move into position to interfere with the trade of enemies. We will not engage in piracy and terrorism as some parties wish.

The entire point of opening these negotiations is to get a power bloc together capable of opposing Austrian hegemony if they keep going down their apparent path. Check the rumor tabs for secret agreements. When things start to happen this game will get real interesting real fast. This proposal is a trust former for better future relations between our countries. Provided my major trading partners, Sweden, Spain and Turkey will be left alone, unless they become aggressive, I have no reason to be aggressive towards France. The fact of the matter is that possessing too many ships makes you a "half threat" that, combined with the navy of another power, could be capable of defeating the Royal Navy. It would therefore be safer, if we cant get a deal, for me to remove the half threat immediately (especially considering the Dutch Navy sails all over British dominated oceans without a care in the world) instead of letting it fester.

So my counter counter proposal is as follows:

1. 3 year enforced peace. To include no aggressive diplomatic missions (insurrections, resistance, pressure peace, propaganda, malign, etc etc.) for the duration.
2. Mutual DOW Holland the turn the agreement is signed. Could either be gentlemens agreement or I believe we could even put this as a clause if Im not mistaken. I will craft the treaty and PM you before I send it if these points are agreeable.
3. Privateer operations undertaken at own risk.
4. France to be allowed a free hand in Holland, Savoy/Piedmont and in German territory west of the Rhine. England to be allowed a free hand in the Med. All other expansion negotiable, possibly contingent on further agreements or alliance.
5. No deals with Austria
6. British trading partners to be left alone unless they become aggressive towards France or French interests. Expect to be allowed time to talk them down in the case of the latter.

Let me know.

Our reply was as follows;

About you clauses;
1. 3 year enforced peace. To include no aggressive diplomatic missions (insurrections, resistance, pressure peace, propaganda, malign, etc etc.) for the duration.
2. Mutual DOW Holland the turn the agreement is signed. Could either be gentlemens agreement or I believe we could even put this as a clause if Im not mistaken. I will craft the treaty and PM you before I send it if these points are agreeable.
3. Privateer operations undertaken at own risk.
4. France to be allowed a free hand in Holland, Savoy/Piedmont and in German territory west of the Rhine. England to be allowed a free hand in the Med. All other expansion negotiable, possibly contingent on further agreements or alliance.
5. No deals with Austria
6. British trading partners to be left alone unless they become aggressive towards France or French interests. Expect to be allowed time to talk them down in the case of the latter.

These are acceptable with a few modifications.
#4 add Baden and Switzerland to the French sphere of Influence
And you are correct that I demanded too much in the Med, I ment Corsica and Sardinia which I do not believe interests Britain alot anyway.

Return to “After Action Reports”