Book on Yugoslavia/Greece in WW2?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rodwell

Book on Yugoslavia/Greece in WW2?

Post by Rodwell »

Could anyone recommend a book on the military operations in these two countries during WW2?

Not partisan warfare, more on combat operations and not just about UK/Commonwealth forces. Italian/Greek war in Albania would be of interest as well.

Thanks
D.Ilse

RE: Book on Yugoslavia/Greece in WW2?

Post by D.Ilse »

Concord's new book on Invasion of Yugoslavia in 1941 is a good referance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0043683313

this is the book I am talking about.
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

The four books on this subject that I have collected are:
1.Australia at war; Greece, Crete and Syria, By Gavin Long.
2.New Zealand Official History; To Greece, By WG. Mcclymont.
3.Greek Entanglement, By Brigadier ECW. Myers.
4.Inside Hitler's Greece, By Mark Mazower.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
sapper_astro

Post by sapper_astro »

Antony Beevor's book Crete - The battle and the resistance, has the Greek and Crete campaigns in it. It does go over to the resistance later on though.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

This book has a very detailed tactical description of the Germans fighting the British in Greece.  It is good to read cause it explains why the British were kicked out of such good defensive terrain so easily.  After reading this book and knowing how hard it was to fight in Greece, I think Churchill was not so wrong in trying to defend it with troops from Africa cause there was a decent chance the British could have held their ground.  The Germans did some really risky moves to dislodge the British.

http://www.amazon.com/Grenadiers-Genera ... 0811731979
Llyranor

Post by Llyranor »

I currently own 4 books on Greece/Crete. I haven't had the time to really dwell much into them yet, though.

1) Greece and Crete 1941, by Christopher Buckley. Only read a few chapters, but it was been an interesting read. Short-ish, global overview of the war on Greece/Crete against the Germans from the British perspective (not much on the Italians). Picked it up based on the recommendation of one of the Conquest of the Aegean research guys.

2) Crete: the Battle and the Resistance, by Anthony Beevor. Apparently the best book on Crete. I've never read Beevor before, so don't know what to expect.

3) Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete 1940-1941, by Christopher Shores. Apparently covers the entire air campaign for Yugoslave/Greece/Crete in good detail. You could probably only find this used. I had to pay a nifty amount to import it new from Japan, of all places.

4) An Abridged History of the Greek-Italian and Greek-German War 1940-1941. This is the official publication of the Army History Directorate of the Hellenic Army General Staff. English abridged version of a series of 7 books (which is in Greek only). I haven't read it yet, but this seems like the DEFINITIVE version if you're interested in the Greek side of things, because there are lots (not sure on the exact number from memory) of large, detailed fold-out maps throughout the book, which really impressed me. This book can mostly only be found used, and even then can be found sold for over 100$ (youch!). If you're keen on getting it, though, this is the one place I've managed to find it at that doesn't try to completely rip you out (they import it from Greece), 40$ new http://caratzas.com/index.cfm?fuseactio ... uct_ID=359

Hollow Legions by Mario Cervi is one book that focuses mainly on the Greek-Italian war from the Italian perspective, but I can't find it new and don't even know if it's actually good (can't even find any reviews).
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Here is a sticky from the Conquest of the Aegean forum. The suggested titles are primarily about the 1940-1941 campaigns, but there may some additional info included.
tm.asp?m=713069

Of course, if you wanted some down and dirty info on many corps and division size battles, you could just buy CotA[;)]
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Discussion”