THE THREAD

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

pasternakski

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, if you're in a wheelchair, it's probably kinda hard to play on ice. Unless you put the chair on skates as well... Hmm, did I just invent a new sport?[:D]

I'd pay to watch that [:D]
Ya know? I could see a game that resembles a combination of curling, dwarf-tossing and horseshoes. See, ya get points for shoving your wheelchair-bound guy down the ice closest to the stake, but the other side gets a chance to shove their guy down there, too, so that he can push the other one away from the stake. Can you imagine the fistfights?

Oops. Sorry. I was afraid I was gonna do that...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
bobogoboom

Post by bobogoboom »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Got the official word.  They screwed up the evaluation process, and my son should have been the first or second of 4 goalies picked, but the list the coaches used to pick from was wrong.  Too late to do anything about it.  Sorry.  Keep at it.  Look forward to seeing him at next year's tryouts.  Blah, blah, blah. 

The good news is that my son has perked up a great deal since finding out he was actually evaluated as the top 11 year old goalie in the region, even if they screwed up and left him off all the teams.  He'll likely be ready to play in a house league in the fall.  [:)]
what's a house league?
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc
bobogoboom

Post by bobogoboom »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
ORIGINAL: bobogoboom
umm what is adapted floor hockey[&:]
I don't dare start, bobo, or I'm likely to wander off into one of my comedy routines that nobody thinks is funny and offends everybody. In Minnesota, it's a way to let the "physically and emotionally challenged" play a version of hockey, only they don't use skates and whack away with sticks that are about as stiff as soft-drink straws at a puck that is approximately the same hardness as a Hostess Twinkie fresh out of the wrapper. And they play it indoors, so that the little darlings don't have to get their challenged tootsies cold.

They go whole hog for this kind of thing up there (I consider it one of the consequences of living someplace where half your brain cells are frozen, and you drink the other half to death). They have leagues, and even a state tournament. Here's a team pic of one of the recent champs:

down here we just let them play normal baseball.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

I saw some playing T-ball once. The kid at bat hauled off and took a mighty swing that missed the ball, but hit the tee, which went skittering across the dirt out toward the little girl who was playing the pitcher defense position. The ball just dropped straight down on the plate, and the kid started running toward first. Nobody told the little girl what to do in these circumstances, so she ran over, picked up the tee, ran over to the kid and whacked him right over the head with it. Knocked him flat.

She stood there for a second, not knowing what to do next. Then, she looked up at the ump (a fat, middle-aged lesbian type who was waddling confusedly up the baseline with an aghast look on her face that said, "Oh, no, how do we turn this into warm fuzzies"), and asked, "Well? Was he safe or out?"
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

umm what is adapted floor hockey[&:]
I don't dare start, bobo, or I'm likely to wander off into one of my comedy routines that nobody thinks is funny and offends everybody. In Minnesota, it's a way to let the "physically and emotionally challenged" play a version of hockey, only they don't use skates and whack away with sticks that are about as stiff as soft-drink straws at a puck that is approximately the same hardness as a Hostess Twinkie fresh out of the wrapper. And they play it indoors, so that the little darlings don't have to get their challenged tootsies cold.

They go whole hog for this kind of thing up there (I consider it one of the consequences of living someplace where half your brain cells are frozen, and you drink the other half to death). They have leagues, and even a state tournament. Here's a team pic of one of the recent champs:

That's because if you watch Texas teams, you won't know the difference![:D] Why do you think they call a short pop fly a "Texas leaguer"? [:D]

For the benefit of our Euro-friends and non-baseball payers out there , A Texas leaguer is a term for a pop-fly ball that is so pathetic and anemic that it doesn't get out of the infield (that's the diamond that has the four bases). It's such a short , wimpy hit that the players have to run in for it, and they can seldom catch it. Due to a vaguarity in statistics keeping , it's treated the same as a "line-drive", a good , solid respectable hit. The phrase is also used to mean looks good on paper, not in real life. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Early day tithe...[:)]
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Bob walked into a sports bar and sat down next to an attractive blonde at the bar and stared up at the 10 p.m. news on TV. They were covering the story of a man on a ledge threatening to jump.
The blonde said, "Do you think he'll jump?"

Bob said, "I bet he'll jump."

“I bet he won't."

Bob said, "You're on!"

Just as the blonde placed her money on the bar, the guy on the ledge did a swan dive.

The blonde handed her $20 to Bob, saying, "Fair's fair. Here's your money." Bob replied, "I can't take your money. I saw this earlier on the 5 pm news, and so I knew he would jump."

The blonde replied, "I did too, but I didn't think he'd do it again."

Bob took the money...

Blind Bob walked into a bar (with his guide dog) and sat down at the bar. When his beer arrived he says to the bartender "Do you want to hear a good joke about blondes?"

The bartender replies "Listen buddy, I'm blonde, you're sat next to the women's Olympic Judo champion who's also blonde. The doorstaff are both blonde, and the women's wrestling champion is sat behind you, she's blonde as well. Are you sure you want to carry on with that joke."

Bob answers back "No, not if I have to explain it five times"

[:'(]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: JWE

He'll likely be ready to play in a house league in the fall.  [:)]
At least a victory of sorts for the young guy. And congrats to the long-suffering-in-silence dad, as well.

Next time you treat the budding superstar goalie for his hard work, let him know that there's at least one of the raving lunatics you communicate with out here who's pulling for him and wishing him every success.
More than just one. What Pas said. J

Thanks, Pas, JWE, and all. [:)]

The budding superstar goalie has actually met 3 of the raving lunatics from THE THREAD!!! in person. Two were on hockey trips last year. [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Got the official word.  They screwed up the evaluation process, and my son should have been the first or second of 4 goalies picked, but the list the coaches used to pick from was wrong.  Too late to do anything about it.  Sorry.  Keep at it.  Look forward to seeing him at next year's tryouts.  Blah, blah, blah. 

The good news is that my son has perked up a great deal since finding out he was actually evaluated as the top 11 year old goalie in the region, even if they screwed up and left him off all the teams.  He'll likely be ready to play in a house league in the fall.  [:)]
what's a house league?

"House league" is the hockey equivalent to your local baseball little league. You play the other teams in the league from your neighborhood or in hockey, your rink (house). My son has been playing on a travel team for the last 2 seasons, similar to American Legion baseball. They travel to other cities to play the top teams from those areas, for better competition.

Playing in a house league is still hockey, but it wouldn't be the same competition level, or coaching level. We would do it for the fun and time on the ice. Combined with some private lessons, we can probably keep him up to speed at a competitive level for next year's travel team tryouts. [:)]
Mike

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: JWE

At least a victory of sorts for the young guy. And congrats to the long-suffering-in-silence dad, as well.

Next time you treat the budding superstar goalie for his hard work, let him know that there's at least one of the raving lunatics you communicate with out here who's pulling for him and wishing him every success.
More than just one. What Pas said. J

Thanks, Pas, JWE, and all. [:)]

The budding superstar goalie has actually met 3 of the raving lunatics from THE THREAD!!! in person. Two were on hockey trips last year. [:D]

Mike, I hope that you are not letting it rest there? I find it very hard to believe that there is nothing that they can do, but I find it very easy to believe that there is something that they can do THAT WILL TAKE SOME EFFORT. Why not push the up button? This strikes me as a major mistake, and it may well not be their 1st. Alex may not be the 1st kid that got screwed by them. OK, so they made a mistake. Does that mean that it shouldn't be reported to their superiors? And if no one else is interested, how about the team sponsors? These folks are usually stand guy, small business, and community minded entrepreneurs.They usually have a well developed sense of right and wrong , and screwing an innocent kid because some "official" is too lazy to correct his mistake is always wrong. [:@]
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Steve, sadly, in this case, the wrong kid was offered a spot on the team, has accepted it, and has paid their $800+ deposit.  At this point, to make room for Alex on a team, they would have to go back and tell that kid that he's now "kicked off" the team.  Screwing another kid is not the way to fix our problem.  This has been discussed and decided from the very top of the organization, including the liason from the Carolina Hurricanes, who are the primary sponsor for all of the "Junior Hurricanes" teams. 

Trust me, I want to take Alex's case to the US Supreme Court.  What I don't want is for him to be black balled next year, or in the future, because he has the crazy family.  [:D]  Both the head coach of the team and the goalie coach were very reasonable, up front, and humble when I talked to them.  They admitted that the rankings got screwed up and that they made the mistake.  Alex feels much better knowing that his great play, hard work, and effort were not judged to be 5th or 6th rate.  Sure he wishes it had worked out like it should have, but at this point, our family is much better off moving on and not being the "unreasonable" party. 

Sounds like a lost cause, huh, Steve-O?  Right up your alley.  [:'(][:D]
Mike

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

New page.  [8D]
Mike

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

.... and a "Parole - Tithe"  [&o]
Mike

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Bob walked into a sports bar and sat down next to an attractive blonde at the bar and stared up at the 10 p.m. news on TV. They were covering the story of a man on a ledge threatening to jump.
The blonde said, "Do you think he'll jump?"

Bob said, "I bet he'll jump."

“I bet he won't."

Bob said, "You're on!"

Just as the blonde placed her money on the bar, the guy on the ledge did a swan dive.

The blonde handed her $20 to Bob, saying, "Fair's fair. Here's your money." Bob replied, "I can't take your money. I saw this earlier on the 5 pm news, and so I knew he would jump."

The blonde replied, "I did too, but I didn't think he'd do it again."

Bob took the money...

Blind Bob walked into a bar (with his guide dog) and sat down at the bar. When his beer arrived he says to the bartender "Do you want to hear a good joke about blondes?"

The bartender replies "Listen buddy, I'm blonde, you're sat next to the women's Olympic Judo champion who's also blonde. The doorstaff are both blonde, and the women's wrestling champion is sat behind you, she's blonde as well. Are you sure you want to carry on with that joke."

Bob answers back "No, not if I have to explain it five times"

[:'(]
[:D] [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Steve, sadly, in this case, the wrong kid was offered a spot on the team, has accepted it, and has paid their $800+ deposit.  At this point, to make room for Alex on a team, they would have to go back and tell that kid that he's now "kicked off" the team.  Screwing another kid is not the way to fix our problem.  This has been discussed and decided from the very top of the organization, including the liason from the Carolina Hurricanes, who are the primary sponsor for all of the "Junior Hurricanes" teams. 

Trust me, I want to take Alex's case to the US Supreme Court.  What I don't want is for him to be black balled next year, or in the future, because he has the crazy family.  [:D]  Both the head coach of the team and the goalie coach were very reasonable, up front, and humble when I talked to them.  They admitted that the rankings got screwed up and that they made the mistake.  Alex feels much better knowing that his great play, hard work, and effort were not judged to be 5th or 6th rate.  Sure he wishes it had worked out like it should have, but at this point, our family is much better off moving on and not being the "unreasonable" party. 

Sounds like a lost cause, huh, Steve-O?  Right up your alley.  [:'(][:D]
Not all "lost causes " are truly lost my friend. The question is always "is it worth the fight". Obviously , in this case you and Alex have made the judgement (and it certainly sounds like the right one) that it's not. (How about a few of us Threadsters come to one of the games and you can point out the kid who took Alex's spot? Accidents happen Ya-know!"). Obviously kidding , I'd never hurt a kid. Point out the guy who screwed up however......[:D][:D][:D]

So this means no Hockey trips to DC? Too bad, I'm probably only going to be here another year.....[:(]
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

Sounds like a really reasonable response Mike as long as the reason they can't make a change is that its against policy.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I hope that they tell the kid that "your only here because we screwed up and a better player was shafted!". Otherwise this kids going to go thru the season thinking he's the greatest! Right up till he catched that slap shot in the side of the head! [:D]
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Well . . . that's one 'hockey dad kills coach' news story that never came to pass.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

"And in a bizzarre incident in NC a hockey coach was killed today when he was run over by a stolen Zamboni!"[:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Not yet, least ways...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “The War Room”