Surrender counts

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: The Longest Day brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Longest Day remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign that covers all the airborne and beach landings, expanded map sizes, new hand-drawn historical maps, illumination during night battles and much more!
FeurerKrieg

Surrender counts

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Not sure if already suggested, but the campaign details screen only show wounded and killed soldiers. Shouldn't it also show surrendered?
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
RD Oddball

RE: Surrender counts

Post by RD Oddball »

I see your point. I'll have to check Feurer Krieg but I think the surrendered count does not effect the outcome since they're neither dead nor theoretically unable to return to service. This is not something we had reason to alter in the process of creating the rebuild so never considered it for changing. Within the current exe design it's possible that surrendered forces are considered part of the wounded count when figuring the outcome for friendly forces since in the context of the game they'll be unuseable for the duration of the campaign. I'd have to check with the programmer on that one.

It's a good point and something we'll consider for future rebuilds. I would imagine it'd be relatively easy to incorporate since all the information is there already.
panzerlehr62

Post by panzerlehr62 »

RD,

If they get killed, IE by being stupid a second time...(had 1 run into my line of fire and he got nailed), what catagory would that go under? It was kinda funny, that duffas was running all over the place and sure enuff he ran right thru a area that was under fire.

Gz...
Senior Drill

Post by Senior Drill »

Killed POW's go under the Atrocities and War Crimes hidden column that is used in the game engine calculations that effect 1/3rd deployment and removal of mortar teams. [:D]

Actually, they go under KIA. You can notice this when a surrendered crew showing three white heads wanders into a barrage and one is wounded, one killed and the other exits the map. When the battle ends, only the one will be listed as POW. When the soldier details are viewed, that team will show the one as surrendered and the others as either KIA or WIA.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

ORIGINAL: RD_Oddball

I see your point. I'll have to check Feurer Krieg but I think the surrendered count does not effect the outcome since they're neither dead nor theoretically unable to return to service.

I didn't know the wounded and killed counts had an effect on the outcome either, other than if all your troops get killed it makes it hard to hold maps. And as far as victory calculations go, it seems like the campaign is decided by who holds the most maps, and the maps are decided by who holds most VLs. Is there somewhere that the wounded/killed counts are affecting the game? If so, then I think that the surrendered troops should count towards that effect for sure.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

Now that you mention it I might be wrong. LMAO[:D]  Does wonders for my credibility.[8|]  I guess I've always assumed it does because it's being tracked.  Otherwise what's the point of keeping track?  I'd imagine it's factored in in some way but I'm not certain and would have to check to see exactly how.  Will post back when Steve replies.

Return to “Close Combat: The Longest Day”