aztez (allies) vs grunt6971 (japan)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

aztez

aztez (allies) vs grunt6971 (japan)

Post by aztez »

Hi!

It has been longtime since I posted on this sub forum. Well, time to get back....

This is stock scenario 15 with 2 day turns.

We have very few houserules since common sense serves as an guide here.

I wohn't be revealing any future operations or plans. Also I don't reveal the overall strategy

Instead this is just an short summary of things that have already happened.

grunt6971 is more than welcome here to participate.

Current game date is mid January 1942.This is short summary of the battles. It has been bloody as ever.

India & South East Asia command

* Japanese struck againts Singapore on turn one.
* Force Z managed to escape the initial onslaught.
* Japanese are about to enter Singapore now.
* Mandalay is under Japanese ground assault.

Philippines

* There has been NO Japanese landings in the Philippines. Instead grunt opted to bypass it completely.
* Manila harbour was hit hard on turn 1.

China

* There has been land battles raging at Yenen and Canton.

ABDA

* This was the target for the main assault. Allies still hold Batavia, Soerebaja and about an dozen other bases in the region. Timor is also seized by Japanese.
* A lot of surface combats in this region.Force Z along with ABDA surface fleet intercepted and engaged several transport and surface combat TF.
* ABDA airforce has been very active and sunken several enemy transport ships.
* BC Repulse and BB Kongo were sunk in action.

Australia & South Pacific

* Japanese troops have seized Noumea and surrounding bases. Allied surface caused enemy some harm and sunk few vessels.
* Rabaul, Suva and few other bases are under enemy assault.
* Mini KB is near Northern coast of Australia.

US, North and Central Pacific

* Japanese have seized Midway, Johnston Island, Palmyra, Canton and 2 other minor bases just outside of Pearl Harbour.
* At Midway US Carriers engaged the KB. The result was that CV Enteprise and CV Lexington went down. Two Japanese carriers were hit.
* Allied surface fleet caused damage to Midway invasion force along with the coastal batteries. Midway was an costly and brave affair.
* GM Nell bombers have hit Pearl Harbour from Johnston Island.
* KB struck againts Pearl Harbour on January 15th. Allied LBA fighters and AA units caused +100 planes to be shot down. Counterstrike with LBA bombers hit 2 enemy carriers if combat reports are to be believed.

Overall

This has been very aggressive beginning for both sides. Allied have lost already +150 ships and Japanese have lost + 130 vessels in just 1 month.

There seems to be a lot of things in motion for both sides but as said I'am going to talking about future operations nor strategies. This is just an short summary of that have happened.

I will post few screenshots from the losses so far later on.
6971grunt

RE: aztez (allies) vs grunt6971 (japan)

Post by 6971grunt »

Bloody indeed, picture of the CV Enterprise after the "Midway Ambush"

Attachments
CarrierBurning.jpg
CarrierBurning.jpg (160.17 KiB) Viewed 451 times
"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"
aztez

Post by aztez »

Yeah, that is an sad picture indeed!

I can promise though that you will see IJN carriers burning like an torch sooner than later.

Random thoughts

I must admit that I need to thank my previous PBEM opponets for enjoyable moments and lessons learned.

Nemo (What can I say... he one hell of an opponent. Actually I'am using his strategy guidelines on this PBEM.)
Erstad (Very skilled and tough opponent. A lot of painful lessons learned on this game)
ctangus (This was my only Japanese game and thought me how organized and determined allied can be)
Vorsteher/FDR (The 1st PBEM I played. A lot of mistakes and very learnful and enjoyable game)

As for this PBEM. It has been totally diffrent from those above. I'am still building up player "profile" on grunt6971. All I can say that he seems very determined on his plans/operations. Time will tell whether he will prevail. As said earlier the Nemo's gaming philisophy is used here on my part.

I will post screenies when we hit end of January. There will also be an summary of ships sunk so far in the game.
6971grunt

Post by 6971grunt »

Hopefully, Jap carrier burning will occur later than sooner......has anyone seen this man?

Attachments
Halsey.jpg
Halsey.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 451 times
"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"
aztez

Post by aztez »

Oh, that "guy"! He was somewhat angry and sleepy to be awaken by those damn air raid sirens last turn.

However it kind of brought smile to his face when he started counting up those IJN aircraft wrecks on his backyard.

No need to worry though he is just fine and happy! [;)]

You really are pushing hard aren't you? [:D]
6971grunt

Post by 6971grunt »

Could be too hard.............Hero of Japan.....RAdm. Tanaka...

Attachments
RAdmTanaka.jpg
RAdmTanaka.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 451 times
aztez

Bloody days continue around the Pacific...

Post by aztez »

We have reached 23rd January 1942.

India & South East Asia

* No new major developments here.

Philippines

* The invasion of Luzon has begun 22rd January. Japanese landings at San Marcelino, Aparri and Vigan.

China

* Japanese have conquered 2 cities at North. The main battle at the moment is being fought at Yenen.

ABDA

* Japanese have landed reinforcements into Java. Allied still hold on at Batavia, Soerebaja and few other bases.

* Nothing major to report.

Central Pacific

* KB is near Hawaijian islands. CV Saratoga engaged the enemy last turn.
* Allied LBA fighters and bombers have fought bravely againts KB and IJA aircraft in this region. Combat reports indicated 2-3 futher enemy carriers hit in past few days.
* Johnston Island and Midway are the main 2 bases for IJN.

Overall

Summary of ships lost so far. These ships are confirmed sunk. A lot more are hit and damaged around the map.

Japanese:

1 x CS, 1 x BB, 1 x CA, 18 x DD, 2 x APD, 19 x MSW, 17 x PC, 11 x PG, 4 x SS, 52 x AP and 16 x AK.

Allied:

2 x CV, 1 x BC, 45 x DD, 6 x CA, 7 x CL, 20 x AK, 6 x AP, 2 x AS, 1 x AV, 2 x AVD, 6 x DM, 10 x DMS, 2 x ML, 14 x MSW, 2 x PC, 1 x PG, 1 x TK, 20 x SS and 15 x PT.

Both players sticking to their gameplan and strategy. Intresing days ahead.
aztez

RE: Bloody days continue around the Pacific...

Post by aztez »

Allied capital ships confirmed sunk......

Attachments
allied.jpg
allied.jpg (116.45 KiB) Viewed 451 times
aztez

RE: Bloody days continue around the Pacific...

Post by aztez »

...and same for the Japanese side.

Attachments
japan.jpg
japan.jpg (169.39 KiB) Viewed 451 times
6971grunt

Post by 6971grunt »

It's been a heavy weight fight......IJN believes USS Saratoga recently took four [4] torps.....

Attachments
DODphoto..Saratoga.jpg
DODphoto..Saratoga.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 451 times
aztez

Post by aztez »

.... Witp Tracker screen1...

Attachments
witp1.jpg
witp1.jpg (56.68 KiB) Viewed 452 times
aztez

Post by aztez »

...Witp Tracker screen2...

Attachments
witp2.jpg
witp2.jpg (132.98 KiB) Viewed 452 times
aztez

Post by aztez »

Allied pilot kills....

Attachments
ace.jpg
ace.jpg (157.53 KiB) Viewed 452 times
aztez

Post by aztez »

We have reached the end January 1942.

India & South East Asia

* At least 2 enemy divisions have entered Mandalay. We expect the battle of Burma to begin.

Philippines

* The maint thrust of 2 divisions have entered San Marcelino. The initial assault was repulsed.
* Some enemy transports were hit near Luzon including a torpedo hit on enemy CA.

China

* This theatre is quite peaceful. The siege of Yenen continues and some air to air combats are reported.

ABDA

* The enemy have landed reinforcements into Java.
* RAF Vilderbeest hit enemy BB Kongo covering these landings. The report indicates 3 torpedo hits.
* Batavia and Soerebaja are still on allied control.

* IJN has landed reinforcements onto Rabaul and Pago Pago. Allied troops have so far repulsed the assaults.

US & Central Pacific

* KB has withdrawn towards Johnston Island. Whether this is permanent retreat remains to be seen. At least those CV's need to replenish their aigroups.
* No enemy Carriers are reported sunk as of yet. The damage done to 3-4 carriers is uncertain.
* B17 bombers hit Johnston Island airfield. IJN Zero's and Claude's are providing CAP.
* ASW efforts have been harsh on both sides. Several Submarines are reported hit and few sunk.

Overall

* The past few turns have been a bit less bloody affaris. This is definately no suprise due to the slaughter suffered so far.
* There are many question marks regarding the situation. I can only assume that initial plans for the enemy have been ruined by brave allied fightback.
aztez

Post by aztez »

As promised here is an summary how the casualties have mounted so far in terms on Victory Points...

Attachments
vp.jpg
vp.jpg (102.15 KiB) Viewed 452 times
6971grunt

Post by 6971grunt »

No one told him about flamethrowers....

Attachments
bataanjap..ethrower.jpg
bataanjap..ethrower.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 452 times
aztez

Post by aztez »

Oh.. didn't they teach in Japan NOT to PLAY with fire!!! [:D]

That picture kind of reminds this PBEM. It has been pure fire for the first few weeks and I do not see things changing in the near future!

The lesson learned so far could be... "be prepared for the unexpected". I did not expect this kind of an opening so flexibility remains the key here.

It has been very enjoyable beginning of PBEM with very few "quiet" moments.
6971grunt

Post by 6971grunt »

Just before we landed paratroopers in Lihue, Hawai'i

Attachments
Japparatr..rsLihue.jpg
Japparatr..rsLihue.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Japan

Post by Japan »

nice
AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
aztez

Post by aztez »

An update regarding actions around the Pacific on early February 1942

India & South East Asia

* Mandalay is the main area of operations in Burma. IJA has entered the battlefield with 2 divisions.
* Singapore holds with british and commonwealth troops trenched there.

Philippines

* Japanese invasion has stalled at San Marcelino. Two enemy divisions are on the beach trying to push towards Clark Field.
* Allied bombers have hit around 10 enemy transports in the region.

China

* IJA forces are assaulting Yenen. The fortifications are down to 0 but so far enemy have been unable to conquer the city.
* Allied bombers hit 2 IJN CA's docked at Hong Kong. None of these are sunk.
* Chinese ground forces push the enemy out of Kungchang. The city is liberated.
* The Chinese ground offensive continues at Nanning. Forfications are reduced to 1.

ABDA

* The damaged IJN BB Haruna is confirmed sunk at Palempang harbour.
* Soerebaja and Batavia are still held by the allies.
* RAF Vilderbeest damage couple of enemy transport AK's and AP's.

* IJN surface combat TF visits Cooktown and slaughters several allied AK's. Allied HQ is unable to stop this from happening.
* Allied bombers damage few enemy transports near Lae.
* Japanese have landed reinforcements into Rabaul. The brave allied troops still control the base.

US & Central Pacific

* Heavy ASW efforts continue around the Hawajian Islands.
* Recon indicates heavy presence of IJA/IJN units around the Pearl Harbour area.
* The 1st allied amphibitous invasion was launched. Lihu is conquered and the enemy troops wiped out.

Overall

Definately was good to see BB Haruna confirmed sunk. She put up an brave fight but those 3 torpedo hits were too much for the IJN crew. This is the 2nd enemy BB sunk in ABDA region.

Otherwise the situation is very tense. I can only imagine the same feeling is shared on the Japanese side.

Return to “After Action Reports”