Alpha Company: Iraq Diary

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

KG Erwin

Alpha Company: Iraq Diary

Post by KG Erwin »

This is an interesting TV documentary series on a Marine Recon Company involved in the Iraq War. The focus is on the mission, NOT the politics. It is being shown on the Military Channel. These guys know their jobs and are thoroughly professional. Sure, the cultural differences are obvious, but deep down these are the same US Marines that have fought in any other war of the previous century. I recommend that you try to catch an episode.
Jeffrey H.

RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I've tried to find that one on DVD but I can't seem to get it.

I did get the Generation Kill series and that was pretty good.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Jeffrey H, remember this: Generation Kill is a fictional series. Alpha Company is about real life Marines. See this page: http://military.discovery.com/tuneins/a ... mpany.html
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Well, it's not a real fiction in the normal sense. It wasn't a pure documentary either. It was more of a representation of the book, which was an embedded reporters story, first person.

Ron Swanson
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

But you ARE able to tell the difference, aren't you? Alpha Company is real. Generation Kill isn't.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Well, it's not a real fiction in the normal sense. It wasn't a pure documentary either. It was more of a representation of the book, which was an embedded reporters story, first person.
And that reporter was in the serie too. Generation Kill was aired around here just recently and I watched every episode of it. I know it's still made with actors, but hey, how close it comes the reality?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

But you ARE able to tell the difference, aren't you? Alpha Company is real. Generation Kill isn't.

Oh sure, I get what you mean. actors vs. soldiers, sets vs. real time, scripts vs. uncripted scenes etc.. That part is obvious. If you're trying to imply that GK the series misrepresents the reporters first person perspective, I'd disagree.

But Alpha co is harder to get on DVD. I need to check on Netflix again.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

And that reporter was in the serie too. Generation Kill was aired around here just recently and I watched every episode of it. I know it's still made with actors, but hey, how close it comes the reality?

I think the series was faithful to the book. I want to believe the book was faithful to the events witnessed by the author.

Ron Swanson
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I think the series was faithful to the book. I want to believe the book was faithful to the events witnessed by the author.
Few things don't seem to match: when platoon was ambushed by Zeus AAMG and one man is in the road directing helicopter attack on it without any cover... Wouldn't it been better to get done from cover of the vehicle, like behind of front tire & engine cowling? If I can think that while watching it, certainly well trained marine should too.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

The 1st suicide battalion has said otherwise , I’ll take their word for it.......[;)]

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

The... WHAT?

MekWars
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

The 1st suicide battalion has said otherwise , I’ll take their word for it.......[;)]

They have said otherwise to what ?

Ron Swanson
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Wright’s description of the events and his use of creativity has been respectively disagreed with by personal that shared the experience , it’s a story told to you by a Rolling Stone beat writer, don‘t read it as if it was a official AAR.

If I use your example ,Audie Murphy played himself in To Hell And Back so it must be faithful view of his experience………….

It’s a fantastic series enjoy it for what it is....[;)]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I read that the series was given acclaim by the members of the unit? Go figure.

Note, I'm not suggesting ALL members of the unit thought it was a faithful representation.
Alba gu' brath
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Wright’s description of the events and his use of creativity has been respectively disagreed with by personal that shared the experience , it’s a story told to you by a Rolling Stone beat writer, don‘t read it as if it was a official AAR.

If I use your example ,Audie Murphy played himself in To Hell And Back so it must be faithful view of his experience………….

It’s a fantastic series enjoy it for what it is....[;)]

Well as with all first person recollections, they are highly subjective. But there is no intent to mislead anyone about the nature of the source.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I read that the series was given acclaim by the members of the unit? Go figure.

Note, I'm not suggesting ALL members of the unit thought it was a faithful representation.

Before the series was released, there was a pre-screening at camp pendelton for the marines. A radio station interviewed marines as they came out of the theater after watching the pre-screening. Their comments were supportive and positive.

There is some internet controversy about the portrait of some of the officers but you'd have to expect that because there are always multiple sides to the story.

Ron Swanson

Return to “General Discussion”