Civilien Ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Japan

Civilien Ships

Post by Japan »

One thing im missing from WITP, is the "Situation 7th December" in Asia...

The "Normal Peacetime Day" situation is not present 7th December 41. I imagine there should be US Ships in or arround Japanese ports, and British Ships arround china and at sea arround Hong Kong and maby Dutch Tankers or Allied Tankers docked in Brunei or on way to / from Balikapapan with Resourses ect ect ect... all this Trade Ships that should be arround in Asia a normal peace day are lacking the 7th Dec 41. (And indeed im sure some of those was exposed to Jap air power) However they semes to not be there... The ships im refering to are typical Composit Split Freighters ect enroute between Trade Ports in Asia... and im sure Evan going to and from Japanese - British ports ect.
Some trade there must have been in Asia a peacefull day like 6th December 41 ??

Is the AE handeling this any different way ??

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
Don Bowen

RE: Civilien Ships

Post by Don Bowen »

Historical representation of merchant ships at sea as of the start of the war did not make in into the AE OOB for a couple of reasons.

First, placing allied merchants deep in Japanese controlled waters on the first day causes the game to target them, using assets that are needed elsewhere.

Second, most of those ships outside Japanese controlled waters proceeded uneventfully to their destinations. Adding them in was a lot of detail to little purpose.

Two ships that were sunk, Cynthia Olson and Vincent, were considered but not added. Some initial tests showed that historical interception of these two ships was hard to accomplish.

We did put in a goodie for modders who choose to add such TFs (including me). Single ship cargo or tanker TFs that begin the war at sea will be given a random cargo - freighters will get random amounts of supply/resource, tankers random amounts of fuel/oil. Modders beware, you need to consider this "free" cargo in balancing initial supply levels. In fact, on our original list of want-a-do's was adding initial cargo as four fields on the ship data in the editor. That got cut very fast. Lots of overhead, screens already full, very little benefit. The random cargo was used instead.

Japan

Post by Japan »

@Don Bowen, Ok I understand fully now, thank you very much for your replay sir.

-
AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Japan

One thing im missing from WITP, is the "Situation 7th December" in Asia...

The "Normal Peacetime Day" situation is not present 7th December 41. I imagine there should be US Ships in or arround Japanese ports, and British Ships arround china and at sea arround Hong Kong and maby Dutch Tankers or Allied Tankers docked in Brunei or on way to / from Balikapapan with Resourses ect ect ect... all this Trade Ships that should be arround in Asia a normal peace day are lacking the 7th Dec 41. (And indeed im sure some of those was exposed to Jap air power) However they semes to not be there... The ships im refering to are typical Composit Split Freighters ect enroute between Trade Ports in Asia... and im sure Evan going to and from Japanese - British ports ect.
Some trade there must have been in Asia a peacefull day like 6th December 41 ??

Is the AE handeling this any different way ??

Japan had all its merchants home for the outbreak of war.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Historical representation of merchant ships at sea as of the start of the war did not make in into the AE OOB for a couple of reasons.

First, placing allied merchants deep in Japanese controlled waters on the first day causes the game to target them, using assets that are needed elsewhere.

Second, most of those ships outside Japanese controlled waters proceeded uneventfully to their destinations. Adding them in was a lot of detail to little purpose.

Two ships that were sunk, Cynthia Olson and Vincent, were considered but not added. Some initial tests showed that historical interception of these two ships was hard to accomplish.

We did put in a goodie for modders who choose to add such TFs (including me). Single ship cargo or tanker TFs that begin the war at sea will be given a random cargo - freighters will get random amounts of supply/resource, tankers random amounts of fuel/oil. Modders beware, you need to consider this "free" cargo in balancing initial supply levels. In fact, on our original list of want-a-do's was adding initial cargo as four fields on the ship data in the editor. That got cut very fast. Lots of overhead, screens already full, very little benefit. The random cargo was used instead.

Hello Don Bowen. I ask here because Jwe will not post anymore. Is this too what Jwe thinks? I ask because I think he knows more of this than he says. logistics is very important.

MO
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Lots of us are busy - and do not visit the forums all that often.

And, sometimes, we just get tired of the same old arguments over and over.

JWE knows plenty, but it's up to him to express his opinions.
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: herwin

That should have been a warning sigh that was hard to ignore.....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: Reg

ORIGINAL: herwin

That should have been a warning sigh that was hard to ignore.....

It was noticed in Washington. That didn't mean the commanders in Pearl and Manila were making effective use of the intelligence.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”