Simple Survey

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

BallyJ

RE: Simple Survey

Post by BallyJ »

Solitaire 10%
H to H 0%
AI 40%
Netplay 10%
PBEM 40%
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck
I find from FTF games, there is not a lot to do while the opponents are making all their moves, but now with MWIF there'd be no chess clock, no pressure to finish etc. - which I find preferrable. Of course two player is the extreme example of this.

As someone who has played against Steve; an accomplished chess player, if the idea of a chess clock has not been adopted, it's not been because the option hasn't been explored. I say look for MWiF product 2 perhaps.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

IMO the ideal way to play would be Netplay at the beginning of the turn up to when Ground Strikes are done then PBEM the move and Netplay again for combat resolution and transition to the next impulse.

I find from FTF games, there is not a lot to do while the opponents are making all their moves, but now with MWIF there'd be no chess clock, no pressure to finish etc. - which I find preferrable. Of course two player is the extreme example of this.
There is one thing in which MWiF will be so different compared to face to face or Vassal play :
1) MWiF will strictly follow the sequence of play,
2) MWiF will show you any available units for the current step,
AgentComet

Post by AgentComet »

Solitaire 20%
Hot Seat 5%
AI 60%
Netplay 15%
PBEM 0%
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I would like to have a better idea of which modes of play are going to be used.

There are 5 modes of play:

Solitaire - you play both sides and make all decisions.

Head-to-head (Hotseat) - two players use a single computer, with the players taking turns moving their units/making decisions using the same mouse and keyboard.

AI Opponent - the player takes one side and the Artificial Intellengent Opponent plays the other.

NetPlay - 2 to 6 players with each player having his own computer; there are game 'sessions' where all the players log into the game and communicate their decisions using the internet.

PBEM - Play by email for 2 players, with all decisions communicated via email (an option to temporarily switch to NetPlay if they so desire).

Which mode of play do you expect to use?[&:]

Could you please put your answers in percentages? It would be nice it the percentages added up to 100% too.[;)]

Short and simple answers would be best for this thread. If there are other discussions on this topic, I would prefer a new thread (or some other existing thread) be used.

AI opponent - 50%
NetPlay - 40%
Pbem - 10%

This of course is only correct numbers if NetPlay is used by others [:)]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Solitaire - 0%
Head-to-head (Hotseat) - 0%
AI Opponent - 90%
NetPlay - 10%
PBEM - 0%

What can I say, I'm anti-social. [:D]
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
ypsylon

Post by ypsylon »

AI - 100%

I thought I will be first with such answer, but I'm not, so that is good news for me. [:D]
alsopxx33

Post by alsopxx33 »

100% AI.

HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

Solitaire - 5%

Head-to-head (Hotseat) - 0%

AI Opponent -  65%

NetPlay - 5%

PBEM -25%
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Froonp
IMO the ideal way to play would be Netplay at the beginning of the turn up to when Ground Strikes are done then PBEM the move and Netplay again for combat resolution and transition to the next impulse.

There is one thing in which MWiF will be so different compared to face to face or Vassal play :
1) MWiF will strictly follow the sequence of play,
2) MWiF will show you any available units for the current step,
I am unsure of the point you are trying to make here, Patrice. These make Zero difference while your opponent is making his land moves.

I find playing WiF is much like playing chess in terms of all the things that must be considered and the short and long term strategies that are being undertaken - by both sides. But it is to my taste much more enjoyable because of the element of chance and the historical "color".

Some people like to play fast and loose, some people are even great at playing fast and expertly - more power to them. But I want to take all the time I need to decide on my move and what I want to do. It takes a great deal of thought - primarily because of WIF's biggest wargame industry success and novelty - the action limit system.

On the other hand I hate being bored out of my gourd while my opponent does exactly the same thing. So you may respond: "Well, you should be planning your next move - like in Chess" - to which I respond "yes, that is what I do, providing
1. the turn can't end, and
2. I am moving second (so I know the weather)". This is about 20% of all the "boring category" time.

I learned long ago any other planning while my opponent is moving is not only a colossal waste of time but almsot always so exceedingly frustrating as to make me loathe the time I invested in it.

So give me and my opponent all the time we need to make the best move we possibly can make so that the outcome is not determined by some stupid error, but rather by whoever employed the best overall strategy (the luck part always evens out).

Paul
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I've been hoping PBEM could temporarily be 'NetPlay' for combat resolution, say particularly for large, important affairs at sea in 1941-42. I would play that way 80% of the time.

The other 20% would be 'solitaire'. Usually against the AI I guess.
Peeking Duck?

Post by Peeking Duck? »

AI Opponent 80%
Net Play 15%
PBEM 5%
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I've been hoping PBEM could temporarily be 'NetPlay' for combat resolution, say particularly for large, important affairs at sea in 1941-42. I would play that way 80% of the time.

I understand there is supposed to be an ability to switch back and forth. This would also be awesome for when you start out in one mode and must switch to the other for some reason, because you still aspire to finish the game.
Paul
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

AI Opponent - 50%

NetPlay - 50%

Note:  These are the main things I look for in a wargame.  I believe not paying attention to both of these elements are what has caused the devastation of what would have been many other great games.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

So, your answer is :
AI Opponent 20%
PBEM 80%

This is it ?
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

Netplay 100%.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: Froonp

So, your answer is :
AI Opponent 20%
PBEM 80%

This is it ?

I'll go with

PBEM 80
AI 10
Solitaire 10
Manack

Post by Manack »

AI Opponent - 50%