Best Designed Ship of WWII

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Nikademus

RE: Best Designed Ship of WWII

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Tiornu

I agree with rating Yamato as the Champ of the Brawl, though I rate Iowa higher overall. With her range and speed, she's a better bet on getting to the brawl in the first place.

and for less cost at the fuel pump. [:D]

Iridium

Post by Iridium »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

ORIGINAL: Tiornu

I agree with rating Yamato as the Champ of the Brawl, though I rate Iowa higher overall. With her range and speed, she's a better bet on getting to the brawl in the first place.

and for less cost at the fuel pump. [:D]

Clearly the Yamato is the "Caddy" one only takes out on Sundays, only in good weather of course.
Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.
"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

Baltimore's, Fletchers, Essex..

Gato/Balao/Tench... Oh, my![:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Iowa was very vulnerable if hit near A-turret amno depot.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

What?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Yamato's fire control was suspect; both the Iowa's and SoDaks had radar guided fire control.  The SoDak or Iowa could control the distance of engagement and keep getting hits on Yamato, who probably couldn't hit the USN ships often enough to make a difference.  I've read that the Iowa had better underwater protection than the SoDaks, but just barely, and the long narrow bow was always a damage control concern since it had no depth at all in the event of a torpedo or penetrating large shell hit.

Kadrin

Post by Kadrin »

Best Designed?

CV: Essexs or Midways
BB: Iowas
CA: Baltimores
CL: Brooklyns or Clevelands
DD: Fletchers

You did say designed.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

The USN's AOG. And they had a really mean garbage scow too! 2Nd to none! [:D]
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

With her range and speed, she's a better bet on getting to the brawl in the first place.

And with here targeting systems, she's got the drop on Yamato at any range and the guns to put her out straight away.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

not to toss gas on the fire, but what the heck:  I don't believe that the vaunted 18.1” rifles of the Yamato were even able to score a single hit on a 10,000 Ton  18 knot CVE off Samar.  That doesn’t bode well for her gunnery department / officer.   Now a savvy Poster will come back with “Well the Iowa didn’t hit anything with her 16” rifles off of Truk in ’44.”  However I maintain there is a slight difference in hitting a 10,000 ton 18 knot CVE and a 36knt 2,000 ton DD.

At the Battle of Surigao Strait the We-Vee hit the Yamashiro at 23,000 yards with her first Salvo.  Her Mark 8 fire control had gained a firing solution at 30,000 yards – same set up the fast BB’s had.  So one could reasonably infer that the Yamato would be under fire from 30,000 yards in ..
Dili

Post by Dili »

What?
In a torpedo hit. Iowa hull was very "squeezed" at A-Turret frame.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

That's why I give the nod in protection to the SoDaks rather than the Iowas.  The latter class had slightly thicker armor in some locations, but the hull was so slender forward that it was essentially unprotected, not a problem on the SoDaks.  The forward 16" barbette and magazine had very little between it and the outer hull thanks to that narrow hull structure.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

What , no one is going to disagree with my AOG or garbage scow nomination? I'm crushed. [:D]
Titi

Post by Titi »

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Well of course you are being ridiculous. A sufficient number of mass-produced Shermans, on the other hand...
Shermans aren't ships! You need to stay on the subject!!! [:-] [:'(]

Yes i do believe that rtrapasso is correct on that point...

I disagree.
Show me the Bismarck being more versatile than a Sherman. [:D]

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

What , no one is going to disagree with my AOG or garbage scow nomination? I'm crushed. [:D]

Don't take it personal Steve. Didja see how everybody just totally ignored my bit about Liberty ships and early model U-boats?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Don't take it personal Steve. Didja see how everybody just totally ignored my bit about Liberty ships and early model U-boats?

I think I'll raise the ante......a mark 7 inflatable life boat! There, beat that guys! [:D]
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I think I'll raise the ante......a mark 7 inflatable life boat! There, beat that guys! [:D]

I find it ironic that guys are arguing that designs that never actually seem to have _DONE_ anything (e.g., as somebody noted above Yamato didn't sink nuthin', Iowa didn't sink nuthin') are "best designs."

Now Mark 7 inflatable rafts on the other hand, those must have "DONE" lots of things in the war. Remember that scene in "A Bridge to Far" . . . "Hail Mary! Full of Grace! . . . Hail Mary! Full of Grace!"

Now THAT is good design: cheap, efficient, gets the job done.

What is the point of some gigantor hunk of iron with hugiferous big frickin' guns that go !BOOM! but which are so big and scary the enemy runs away any time they are nearby (else dog piles them in any attack) and consequently all they really do is act as a magnet/repulsor of enemy, not actually a destructor of enemy!?! I don't get it!? Ever since Jutland, the complete impracticality of big arse boats with big arse guns was shown quite clearly wasn't it!? [:D]

Hail the Liberty ships and the rubber dinghies! Best Designs!
<hoping that is sufficiently provocative to get the real naval theorists roused up into some interesting soliloquies>

ADDIT: *Pssst* BTW, what's an "AOG?"
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Small gasoline tanker. Very small. [:)]
Barb

Post by Barb »

Well, what about LVTs?
I would rate LST as best designed ship. Without them ...
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

LST's? Best targets ever made! [:D]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”