CUSTOM PLAYS

Discussion of the rules of football and how they pertain to the game.

Moderator: David Winter

Brodie

CUSTOM PLAYS

Post by Brodie »

Is there a way to tell how a certain play is performing in FPS98 the play was listed with how many yards so you cll if they were AI busters?
garysorrell

RE: CUSTOM PLAYS

Post by garysorrell »

Im not sure who made it, but there is a utility called the play analyzer that can read gamelogs and give you a nice breakdown of what does what.
Maybe it was Deft.
Here is the link.
http://www.fbmax.com/uploads/playanalyzer%20v1.2.xls
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

What would you guys think would be fair for a custom play rules.I know alot of people put alot of designing plays.The problem I see is for those that don`t.Its a very unfair advantage to them.I was thinking this might be a fair compromise.Rugby Canada Super League plays an 18 game season.So after week 15 no new plays would e allowed.Once an owner puts a play into effect it wouoldn`t go into the league pool for three weeks.After the 3rd week it would be available for eveyone to use.
 The thinking on that is that it gives a little edge to the designer of 3 weeks but doesn`t totaly penalize someone that has the creative skills to make plays.

So looking for your guys ideas on that
Hampe

Post by Hampe »

That's actually a cool idea.  It simulates the "copycat" effect you see in real football leagues (i.e. the Wildcat this season in the NFL).
Mykal

Post by Mykal »

that would mean having to put the new play into everyone elses playbook

they may not want it and may not even know a new play had been made by anyone in the league
unless your going to send that individual play to everyone for testing by them
which could get a little messy and confusing as time went on with more and more plays being made

for my money a faire system would be

to have maybe 4 or 5 playbooks which the league GM knows has no illegal plays in them
let the team GM's choose one from them as their's to use

that cuts out cheating altogether and still allows for differance in playbooks to some degree
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Some FBPro leagues had a big standard playbooks that had custom plays added to it for general use. Teams could pull plays out and use them.

I generally don't like even having my plays available for other teams to look at, so I don't really like having plays available for everyone in the league, but I can see the utility of it for leagues with many casual players.

My leagues, mostly using Pro Football Simulation, have not had casual players.

dreamtheatervt

Post by dreamtheatervt »

The one FBPro league I did way back when had teams send their playbooks to a team they didn't play that season to check for what we deemed illegal plays...but other than that I don't think you should penalize players who do make their own books.  I look at it as survival of the fittest.  If you aren't willing to up your game when you come across someone better, you deserve to languish in mediocrity.  You don't get better at anything, be it chess, backgammon, poker, baseball, tennis, or computer games unless you find new challenges to push your limits.
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

they may not want it and may not even know a new play had been made by anyone in the league
unless your going to send that individual play to everyone for testing by them
which could get a little messy and confusing as time went on with more and more plays being made

The idea is that the new plays would go into a league pool after the 3 week mark.The owners then would have the chance to put the play in there playbook if they wanted.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

One can set up league rules any way one wants.  It really depends on what the commissioner and the team owners want for that league.

With Maximum Football, the plays go into the plays folder for the PDS in any case.

Having playbooks in their own folders has long been on the wishlist and was considered for an upgrade.

Old Coach

Post by Old Coach »

I never played in an FBPRO98 league, but I did share many of my playbooks with guys on the FBPRO forum. I guess some of my plays were floating around out there in the leagues. I had great fun playing FBPRO98 and would still be playing it if- 1) it ran well with Windows XP & 2) MaxFB hadn't come along.

I still have Baseball Pro 98 and it runs OK on XP but it won't save stats, game results or print/show a boxscore. I've tried setting my PC on Windows 98 mode but it doesn't help. For just playing a manager style game, it's great. I don't know of any other baseball game out there, besides the text based games that allow you to just manage in a game and not have to deal with gamepads or joysticks. (I don't like hand-eye coordination games. My bifocals and arthritic hands just won't cooperate.)

Old Coach

Old Coach
garysorrell

Post by garysorrell »

I have Out Of The Park 9. Great game if you can deal with no on field graphics.

I had been thinking of getting BaseballPro98 again. Used to have it. I may have to get an old Win98 machine to run it on.
Mrgravyard50

Post by Mrgravyard50 »

Wonder where we could get BB Pro 98??

Return to “Rules”