Battle Results

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Chijohnaok2

Battle Results

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

While playing the Union vs. AI I have noticed on several occasions noticed the following:
The battle concludes and the screen indicates that the CSA forces were withdrawing (which to me would indicate a Union Victory). However, when the battle results screen comes up it indicates that the CSA forces won a victory (minor, major or strategic). This leaves me confused.

Has anyone else encountered this? Am I missing something?

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
Erik Rutins

RE: Battle Results

Post by Erik Rutins »

That's very odd - which version did you see this with? Do you perchance have a save file that duplicates it?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

I have encountered this before as well. On the "tug of war" blue-grey battle screen where the action unfolds step by step,  the bar will slowly fill up one way or the other - indicating, I assumed, that the side who lost his little half of the bar is withdrawing. However, when I exited and the battle resolution screen came up, the side who seemed to have lost had instead won, though the casualties stayed the same - essentially one side retreated instead of the other. This happened a few times before, but as far as I could tell, only in near draws. Having 0 knowledge of programming, I am hesitant to offer a hypothesis as to what that might mean. 
"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

Question ... Did either of you who encountered this happen to "X" or close the combat box before the program does? I have gotten goofy results if I close the combat box and force the battle to conclusion. Goofy meaning about what these guy's are saying.
Capt. Cliff
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That's very odd - which version did you see this with? Do you perchance have a save file that duplicates it?

Version 1.030 (have not downloaded the most recent [April 2009]release yet).

Unfortunately, did not save a version (or at least do not remember which save file might contain that).
I will save a version if I should see that again.

Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

Question ... Did either of you who encountered this happen to "X" or close the combat box before the program does? I have gotten goofy results if I close the combat box and force the battle to conclusion. Goofy meaning about what these guy's are saying.

Yes, I normally"X"/ close the combat box just before the program does. If this causes a problem, I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”