Mulberries vulnerable to air attack

WW2: Road to Victory is the first grand strategy release from IQ Software/Wastelands Interactive, which covers World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. Hex-based and Turn-based, it allows you to choose any combination of Axis, Allied, Neutral, Major or Minor countries to play and gives you full control over production, diplomacy, land, air and naval strategy. Start your campaign in 1939, 1940 or 1941 and see if you can better the results of your historical counterparts. A series of historical events and choices add flavor and strategic options for great replayability.
Chocolino

Mulberries vulnerable to air attack

Post by Chocolino »

Just found out that Mulberries can be taken out by a single successful air attack. They have to be in sight to attack them of course. They are extremely vulnerable. It is already hard to shield them against land attacks but shielding them against an air strike is neigh impossible. That strongly reduces the usefulness of a mulberry in my opinion to the point of them becoming almost without meaningful application.

The Mulberry has been introduced to allow amphibious landing at places other than port cities to make it a bit less predictable. But that means that in an amphibious setting, the attacker had to build a cordon of 4 hexes wide in the first turn around the mulberry to keep it invisible and hence in place. That leaves just situations where the usual land supply is so stretched (next city too far away) that one wants to use a nearby mulberry to boost it. That is further limited by mulberries only available in coastal hexes. But for only this it is very expensive.

In my eyes it would suffice to have air strikes reduce the supply coming from a Mulberry for the next turn, recovering slowly afterwards (maybe similar to strategic bombing reducing the resources from a city).
BlueMak

RE: Mulberries vulnerable to air attack

Post by BlueMak »

That's why you need to have complete air supremacy before you do this I guess.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

If you read "Crossroads" for the, I believe, May 1st, 1945 turn (will be up in a day or so since my reporting lags) you will see a good example. Luckily I was the one with the airplanes since I am in no position to build Mulberries anywhere in this game.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Just wanted to say that the FOW can be set at various distance.
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

Does the AI get the same FOW the player gets?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

In all my games, yes. [;)]
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

IS

Post by IS »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Well, it is not true Judging by this http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2090857 AI simply landed in Arkhangelsk with one unit, knowing that that hex was empty. AI not cheating? Don`t think so [;)]
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Did you tried to land on occupied hex?
BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

ORIGINAL: IS
ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Well, it is not true Judging by this http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2090857 AI simply landed in Arkhangelsk with one unit, knowing that that hex was empty. AI not cheating? Don`t think so [;)]

I am playing with FOW OFF, so...
Michael the Pole

Post by Michael the Pole »

ORIGINAL: Chocolino

Just found out that Mulberries can be taken out by a single successful air attack. They have to be in sight to attack them of course. They are extremely vulnerable. It is already hard to shield them against land attacks but shielding them against an air strike is neigh impossible. That strongly reduces the usefulness of a mulberry in my opinion to the point of them becoming almost without meaningful application.

The Mulberry has been introduced to allow amphibious landing at places other than port cities to make it a bit less predictable. But that means that in an amphibious setting, the attacker had to build a cordon of 4 hexes wide in the first turn around the mulberry to keep it invisible and hence in place. That leaves just situations where the usual land supply is so stretched (next city too far away) that one wants to use a nearby mulberry to boost it. That is further limited by mulberries only available in coastal hexes. But for only this it is very expensive.

In my eyes it would suffice to have air strikes reduce the supply coming from a Mulberry for the next turn, recovering slowly afterwards (maybe similar to strategic bombing reducing the resources from a city).

I believe that the Mulberries should be vulnerable to air attack. If you'll remember, the Allies had OVERWHELMING air superiority over Normandy and it was pretty much worth any Luftwaffe pilot's life to even stick his nose into that airspace. If my recollection is correct, the Luftwaffe managed to provide a whopping TWO sorties over the invasion beaches on June 6, and didn't see much improvement after that due to the massive Allied air cover.
If the player can't provide absolute air superiority over his landing beaches, he shouldn't be using mulberries.
"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

If the player can't provide absolute air superiority over his landing beaches, he shouldn't be using mulberries.

In terms of game mechanics, it is almost impossible (actually completely impossible for all practical purposes) to get absolute air superiority before a landing. Once you are there, it is too late. Remember, a single air attack is enough. No matter how many hundred air armies the attacker can field, only one can intercept. So I don't quite understand this comment. How do you suggest to ensure absolute air superiority before a landing in the RTV? Your opponent can hide his air units away completely so no air attacks can be forced by the attacker before the landing. Even if they are in reach of the landing hexes, the attacker needs a visible target before the landing to force air combat. That is only available in a few instances were visibility allows it and even then only if the defender happens to have units close to the landing beaches (remember there is no city, otherwise you wouldn't need the mulberry in the first place)

If you'll remember, the Allies had OVERWHELMING air superiority over Normandy and it was pretty much worth any Luftwaffe pilot's life to even stick his nose into that airspace. If my recollection is correct, the Luftwaffe managed to provide a whopping TWO sorties over the invasion beaches on June 6, and didn't see much improvement after that due to the massive Allied air cover.

So from that I take it there was Luftwaffe since there were the pilots noses. Hence the landing should have failed according to you since a single air attack would have destroyed the complete Allied supply in one shot if I follow your argument of supply vulnerability.

Your statement also fails to explain exactly why supply depots are supposedly so vulnerable. You say that a single air attack can make a large supply depot completely vanish? Severely damage for a while - absolutely, reduce supply for a while - no problem, completely vanish, sorry.....
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Mulberries should perhaps be treated as cities are, which are strat-bombed. Otherwise they should be invulnerable to air attack.

BlueMak

Post by BlueMak »

Shouldn't you do an invasion in more than one beach?
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Just wanted to say that the FOW can be set at various distance.

Hi Doomtrader - there is a lot of confusion about naval interception of invasions in the game. Can you please explain how and when naval interception can occur of invading forces? Can it be from ports on the sea zone? By naval units already at sea? And what units are involved? Would all friendly naval units in the sea zone or in port be involved?

Thanks!
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

IS - I think what doomtrader is pointing out is that you can "test" for an empty landing hex by attempting a landing. Before you commit you will be told if the hex is occupied. Air landings (paratroops) also will not allow landing on an occupied hex, but here it just won't happen.

This should, perhaps, be thought of as commando, UDT, or raider recon of beaches.

Chuck
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

"In terms of game mechanics, it is almost impossible (actually completely impossible for all practical purposes) to get absolute air superiority before a landing. Once you are there, it is too late. Remember, a single air attack is enough. No matter how many hundred air armies the attacker can field, only one can intercept. So I don't quite understand this comment. How do you suggest to ensure absolute air superiority before a landing in the RTV? Your opponent can hide his air units away completely so no air attacks can be forced by the attacker before the landing. Even if they are in reach of the landing hexes, the attacker needs a visible target before the landing to force air combat. That is only available in a few instances were visibility allows it and even then only if the defender happens to have units close to the landing beaches (remember there is no city, otherwise you wouldn't need the mulberry in the first place)"

If you have air superiority and want to force your opponent to fight then you need to see a target and air attack it with every unit in range. The ground attacks will be intercepted by any air unit in range. Even better is if you land and can see enemy air units the air unit can be attacked directly with any of you air units.

Michael the Pole

Post by Michael the Pole »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

If you have air superiority and want to force your opponent to fight then you need to see a target and air attack it with every unit in range. The ground attacks will be intercepted by any air unit in range. Even better is if you land and can see enemy air units the air unit can be attacked directly with any of you air units.

Absolutely James -- ten or twelve allied air units plastering every axis unit within sight of the landing beaches would decimate an already moribund Luftwaffe. Air superiority isnt achieved in a month, it was gradually developed in the 18 months from 1943 to June 1944. An air campaign against France (and as a side benefit) what remains of the Luftwaffe in France like the Allies carried out in the first half of 1944 would make an attack on one of the two mulberries a hopeless luxury to a Germany dieing in the fires of Berlin, Hamburg and Dresden while Army Group Center is being eaten alive in the East.
+w
"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

ORIGINAL: James Ward

Absolutely James -- ten or twelve allied air units plastering every axis unit within sight of the landing beaches would decimate an already moribund Luftwaffe. Air superiority isnt achieved in a month, it was gradually developed in the 18 months from 1943 to June 1944. An air campaign against France (and as a side benefit) what remains of the Luftwaffe in France like the Allies carried out in the first half of 1944 would make an attack on one of the two mulberries a hopeless luxury to a Germany dieing in the fires of Berlin, Hamburg and Dresden while Army Group Center is being eaten alive in the East.
+w

I think you can get 2-3 turns without air attacks on a Mulberry but it takes some work.
Before you deploy it you do the air runs and see if there are enemy air units about. Strat bomb a city near your landing site. If it's intercepted then you need to figure out how many enemy air units are around and try to hurt them.
If you aren't inercepted then you can air land and spot a little further. You may need to ground attack after you air land to see if there are other air units in range. If there aren't any in range then it that turn and next turn before any can be transferred at best. If enemy air units are more than 40 hexes away then you have 3 turns to either get a port or protect your Mulberry.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

James and Mike, no bad feelings but I disagree. There are three points I would like to make so that it maybe becomes a bit clearer:

1) The underlying problem in the game system is that even overwhelming air superiority alone is not enough to protect a Mulberry, you need absolute air superiority in RTV since a single successful air attack even of a potentially understrength air unit is enough to destroy it. As the attacker you have to ensure that there is not a single air unit left that can be used after the landing. That is what you cannot ensure in my opinion as explained in point 2).

2) Your suggested method of achieving absolute air superiority works only if you play the AI or the defender is a willing accomplice. He may not be. In RTV you can obviously avoid air combat as the defender, and you CANNOT force it as the attacker before a planned landing. That is the main point. As a defender you just have to keep either

-at least one single air unit in reserve and out of range (i.e. 20 hexes or more) from any active region or

- even better buy a new one when you need it for this purpose from your strategic PP reserve.

In the meanwhile let your opponent bomb or strat. bombing the heck out of any hexes for as many turns as he likes before the landing, it will be completely in vain for the purpose of achieving absolute air superiority.

3) I am only concerned with playability. RtV and history have only a remote resemblance at best as we all know. So I am not too concerned if RtV represents history correctly. But even when using historic arguments I believe that supply depots where not overstretched balloons popping after the first needle was injected.

In my eyes the fact remains that Mulberries can be taken out at will by the defender. They need better protection from instant aerial annihilation (not ground attack) to remain useful. There is probably a reason why we don't see them so often used in player to player games I assume.

Return to “WW2: Road to Victory”