Remember Turret 2

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

mbatch729

Remember Turret 2

Post by mbatch729 »

On April 19, 1989, the powder charge for the center gun, turret 2 exploded at 0955. 47 of my shipmates lost their lives that day. Over the years, other events on April 19 have overshawowed that event. Today, please remember my fallen shipmates.

"We are the ship. She breathes through us and she lives as a part of us. As long as she sails we will be a part of her. A part of the IOWA Spirit. That spirit lives on and the men of Turret Two will forever be a part of that living spirit!" - Captain Moosally.
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
PunkReaper

RE: Remember Turret 2

Post by PunkReaper »

A very sad event ... with a great loss of young lives. What was your take on the cause of the explosion?
Joshuatree

Post by Joshuatree »

We will remember your shipmates Mark.
I even remember this sad event, must've been on discovery or another documentary channel. Such a loss of young lives in an instant, the older one gets, the younger they become or so it seems.
I never lost a mate while I was in the army, maybe some got hurt, lost their fingers or lost their teeth, but no one got killed, so I can't even begin to imagine how it is to lose 47 of your shipmates.
mbatch729

Post by mbatch729 »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

A very sad event ... with a great loss of young lives. What was your take on the cause of the explosion?

Over-ramming of the powder charge. Purely an accident involving old powder and an under-trained gun crew.
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

Is the Iowa still in operation?  Last I saw of it was in the movie Under Siege.   We need more cool battleships like the Iowa.  They can shoot up terrorists and pirates too as long as people can accept a little collateral damage along with the results.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Is the Iowa still in operation?  Last I saw of it was in the movie Under Siege.   We need more cool battleships like the Iowa.  They can shoot up terrorists and pirates too as long as people can accept a little collateral damage along with the results.
Mighty Mo was used in that movie...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Onboard scenes were the Alabama though I think...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

All my sympathies go with you and your mates. As a former gunner myself ( Army, not Navy) I recall our instructions and constant urges for safety around the gun site, lest some accident send dozens of charge bags and shells ( and everything else around it) skyward real fast.
Cheers
MC
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I don't remember the event (I was only 10 at the time) but I read the story. What a tragic day. Sounds like the official investigation turned out to be a debacle as well, which is sad as it only compounded the grief everyone must have been feeling.

It happened during a firing training, right?

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

AMEN. A friend of mine went to Hawaii many years ago and when they went to the Arizona memorial it was closed for a short period as they were burying a former member of the crew who wished to be interred with his shipmates. I find that to be a very good thought. Yes a ship is the crew and the crew is the ship may there souls rest in peace having given everything they had. I salute you and your former mates who died on the ship that bears the name of the state I live in. May they rest in peace.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Madgamer, they buried the fellow in the memorial, which is in the Ocean, right? I did not know they did that. What an interesting and touching act.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

I can not myself confirm this but was told this by a friend who was there. I think that they are cremated first but have non knowledge of the actual ceremony. Perhaps one of greater knowledge of this can enlighten us to if it was really possible to be buried with your shipmates.
I heard from a man at the Indianapolis shrine in that city that several of the crew who survived had there ashs sprinkled or sunk at or near the site where tat grand ship went down. Again I have no prof of either of these events but find them like you to be expressible by mere language. It touches me somewhere in my soul if true.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Sad day when that happened. Whats worst, most people don't remember it. Remember when A rifle company of over 200 plus Marines died in the barracks attack. My friends at work don't remember it. But I will always,always remember men and women such as those.
ORIGINAL: mbatch729

On April 19, 1989, the powder charge for the center gun, turret 2 exploded at 0955. 47 of my shipmates lost their lives that day. Over the years, other events on April 19 have overshawowed that event. Today, please remember my fallen shipmates.

"We are the ship. She breathes through us and she lives as a part of us. As long as she sails we will be a part of her. A part of the IOWA Spirit. That spirit lives on and the men of Turret Two will forever be a part of that living spirit!" - Captain Moosally.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Return to “General Discussion”