"Invasion of Prussia" available for download

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
simovitch

"Invasion of Prussia" available for download

Post by simovitch »

Get it while it's hot. Ownership of John Tiller's Battleground "Prelude to Waterloo" required to play this Expansion Game. Tested with Matrix, but Talonsoft version should be OK.

Napoleonic Archives

Attachments
iop.jpg
iop.jpg (98.37 KiB) Viewed 502 times
simovitch

berto

RE: "Invasion of Prussia" available for download

Post by berto »

[:)] [:D] [&o]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

I'm downloading :)
Andy Moss

Post by Andy Moss »

Downloaded. Installed. Looks good!! It works fine with the original Talonsoft game.
berto

Post by berto »

Downloaded and installed.

Stunning!

You've definitely bested HPS in the 3D graphics. (It would be cool if somebody could retrofit these graphics--suitably modified for the battle, combatants, and period--to the earlier, standard BGS titles. Notably the more realistic terrain look.)

This is so awesome!

Bravo!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Thanks Berto, it's my pleasure. I hope you all enjoy it.

Hopefully more to come in the future. I would like to round out this 4th Coalition series with updates to Heilsburg, Friedland and Eylau eventually.
simovitch

WaltM

Post by WaltM »

Great stuff !!!!!!!   Hopefully the mrs's isn't planning anything for the weekend 
Where a goat can go a man can go,and where a man can go he can drag a gun
Andy Moss

Post by Andy Moss »

I got rid of mine (mrs that is not the goat) for the weekend. Completed one game against the AI and lined up one pbem game.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Wow, look at all the add on Battles for Battleground Napoenic Wars, I wonder why there isn't this much work Battleground Civil War?I'm getting Napolenic wars on Wensday, so I will check this out then.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
WaltM

Post by WaltM »

Word of warning !!!   Order the disks, those add on scenarios will not work with the digital downloaded version....at least they didn't on mine,ended up ordering the disks in order to play all those add ons.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Dont worry, I get my games from NWS online gaming store(I'm ordering my physical copy for $32[:D]) so I definitly getting the Discs.I would get physical copy only anyway as so many things can happen and get corrupted while downloading.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: WaltM

Word of warning !!!   Order the disks, those add on scenarios will not work with the digital downloaded version....at least they didn't on mine,ended up ordering the disks in order to play all those add ons.
eh? I made IOP from the matrix digital download versions and they bloody well work from my (XP SP-2) computer! and so did the old NIR add-ons.

It doesn't make sense at all that they wouldn't work - they are just scenarios and graphic files.[&:] But thanks for posting - if anyone else has a problem I would like to hear about it.
simovitch

WaltM

Post by WaltM »

Well they bloody well didn't work on mine...found a post on another forum were a fellow was having the identical problem with the digital download version.Could it have been a corrupt download...sure !! Bought the disks...reinstalled and everything is fine.
cillmhor

Post by cillmhor »

Well I'm really enjoying the battle of Jena at the moment as the French v AI. Skirmishers seem to take casualties more easily from line infantry than BG Waterloo and NIR, was this modelled? Lack of big VP locations is interesting. It means that a strategy of inflicting more casualties can win the battle. Leaves options a lot more open[:)]. Cavalry are interesting, they tend to be in uber stacks which means that cavalry v cavalry engagments with 'counter-charge' on leave no real room for the attacker, as so far any attempts to charge cavalry with cavalry end in heavy losses for the attacker. Also infantry in line seems very hard to charge and knock back, but that could be my bad luck/poor decisions. And so cavalry seem to be only useful for taking out guns and skirmishers.

Skirmisher fire seems less effective, but again this could be down to poor luck with the dice. Artillery effectiveness seems about right.

The dawn start is a real nailbiter, and the graphics are very lush. Thanks for all your hard work.[&o]
Andy Moss

Post by Andy Moss »

I have completed one game against the AI. If you know the engine it's still fairly easy for the French. I don't charge other cavalry. Charging disordered infantry in flank usually works. I found the AI didn't handle it's cavalry too well, and charged at me through villages. Go for big zoc kills, the AI can't see those coming.

Yes, inflict casualties on the opponent and forget objectives.

I thought movement in fog should be reduced. The French deploy far too quickly.

Overall the AI works better than in the original games. The graphics and OOB changes are a big improvement over original Nirproject Jena.

I want to see how the game pans out in PBEM mode. Given the numbers and position it should still be a French romp. Moreso than historically. But depends on the opponent I guess.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

The Fire Table has been modified by the BGE team to reduce the effect of skirmisher fire (or fire by <100 men) so that is what you are noticing. They may be taking casualties more because the infantry brigades are bigger than at the time of the Waterloo scenarios.

Be sure to check out the Help => Scenario Help file to get an overview of the new PDT, and some campaign history, etc. (that's right, we even created modified help files.[8D])
simovitch

WaltM

Post by WaltM »

I really enjoy these scenarios..In my opinion significant improvements all across the board.
Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

EXCELLENT WORK...
cillmhor

Post by cillmhor »

Okay I'm now going to try and win with the Prussians against the AI in Jena. I stopped after turn 20 of the French game with victory assured.

Just some thoughts for a 2-player game: would it be possible to change the release times for the Early Reserves version of Jena, so that the Prussians were given a bit more flexibility in countering the early French thrusts. I'm thinking especially in the south where troops are fixed despite the fact that a battle rages just over the hill. In fact freeing up the Prussians to follow the sound of the guns from the outset would make it a bit more challenging to the French player in a 2-player?

Really enjoying it, and fighting off the French hoards is a challenge, even against the AI.

simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: cillmhor

Okay I'm now going to try and win with the Prussians against the AI in Jena. I stopped after turn 20 of the French game with victory assured.

Just some thoughts for a 2-player game: would it be possible to change the release times for the Early Reserves version of Jena, so that the Prussians were given a bit more flexibility in countering the early French thrusts. I'm thinking especially in the south where troops are fixed despite the fact that a battle rages just over the hill. In fact freeing up the Prussians to follow the sound of the guns from the outset would make it a bit more challenging to the French player in a 2-player?

Really enjoying it, and fighting off the French hoards is a challenge, even against the AI.

Strangely enough I was in the middle of editing some of the scenarios recently. I incorporated your suggestions and some others. See the "Update" thread.
simovitch

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”