Passenger Ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Don Bowen

RE: Passenger Ships

Post by Don Bowen »

If y'all are nice (and I do mean you-all), maybe John will show you the Hartland Class he did. It is great!

JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen
If y'all are nice (and I do mean you-all), maybe John will show you the Hartland Class he did. It is great!
Gosh, Mr. Yokel's nice enough all by hisself. So ... ex 250' USCG Lake type lend-leased to UK, called Hartland (or Banff). Supposed to have been good sea boats.

Attachments
Lake.jpg
Lake.jpg (2.46 KiB) Viewed 67 times
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

What is the approx. number of passenger ships and fast transports that japanese have in AE?
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku
What is the approx. number of passenger ships and fast transports that japanese have in AE?
Approximately all that Japan actually had. maybe 65 functioning as passenger ships, of all sizes from Asama Maru down to small and slow Korea ferries. maybe another 10 functioning as AS, AMC, etc.

Don't know what you mean by fast transport.
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

ORIGINAL: JWE

Sorry for being unprecise- I ment of high speed passenger ships (18kts and faster).
JWE

Post by JWE »

Sorry for being unprecise- I ment of high speed passenger ships (18kts and faster).
Gosh, I dunno, most passenger ships step out pretty good. Maybe 2/3 of them have top speeds of maybe 17-18 knots, the rest have tops of maybe 21, 22, 23. cruise speeds run from 14 up to 20. all depends. boats with cruise speed 18 or over ?? I guess maybe 15 - 18, or so.

Please don’t ask for a list of classes and data. You’ll get all that and more when the game releases.
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

Gosh, I dunno, most passenger ships step out pretty good. Maybe 2/3 of them have top speeds of maybe 17-18 knots, the rest have tops of maybe 21, 22, 23. cruise speeds run from 14 up to 20. all depends. boats with cruise speed 18 or over ?? I guess maybe 15 - 18, or so.

Please don’t ask for a list of classes and data. You’ll get all that and more when the game releases.

No need to worry, I didn't intended to ask for the list [;)] I was just wondering how many of them were there. Thanks for the answer [&o]
33Vyper

Post by 33Vyper »

Bump :)

Everyone should see these....such beauties
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: 33Vyper

Bump :)

Everyone should see these....such beauties

Yeah....but we wanna see them "in the water"...Here.....At home.....On the 'puter........Doin' stuff........Goin' places........[8D]

spence

Post by spence »

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Gosh, Mr. Yokel's nice enough all by hisself. So ... ex 250' USCG Lake type lend-leased to UK, called Hartland (or Banff). Supposed to have been good sea boats.

Attachment (1)

Presumably that will also serve for the the USCGC Haida which wasn't lend-leased to the UK and served in Alaskan waters throughout the war.

Attachments
Haida_1945_1_sm.jpg
Haida_1945_1_sm.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 71 times
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: spence
Presumably that will also serve for the the USCGC Haida which wasn't lend-leased to the UK and served in Alaskan waters throughout the war.
image]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... B9B618.jpg[/img]
Yes it will. Haida was 10 feet shorter, and had a more extreme counter stern, but was substantially a similar looking ship.

Before ya'll ask ... no, the 165' Orions (and Onondaga) likely won't be included. Have to draw a line somewhere. There's already lots and lots of USCG ships in the toy box.
spence

Post by spence »

Not that I have any especial problem with the loss of the Onondaga, but I had never heard of an Orion Class cutter. I checked the USCG Historian website and found that the only Orion ever was 45' long and belonged to the US Lifesaving Service in the 1880s or so.

165 Class cutters accounted for 2 U-boats in 1942 (CGC Icarus sinks U-352 in May and CGC Thetis sinks U-157 in June). There were a couple on the West Coast. Them and the Onondaga possessed a good bit more range/endurance and capability than the other early war choices for USCGCs though.
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: spence
Not that I have any especial problem with the loss of the Onondaga, but I had never heard of an Orion Class cutter. I checked the USCG Historian website and found that the only Orion ever was 45' long and belonged to the US Lifesaving Service in the 1880s or so.

165 Class cutters accounted for 2 U-boats in 1942 (CGC Icarus sinks U-352 in May and CGC Thetis sinks U-157 in June). There were a couple on the West Coast. Them and the Onondaga possessed a good bit more range/endurance and capability than the other early war choices for USCGCs though.
You are quite right, Spence. And I’m very sorry, I don’t mean to confuse. These smaller vessels had so many different designations, some official, some not, that it’s really hard to use shorthand. For example, Don Bowen calls the 250’ lend-lease Lake type a Hartland, while I tend to call it a Banff. In the game OOB, I have them as 250’ Lake-Type, and let the lend-lease chips fall where they may.

There were a couple slightly different 165 footers (sometimes designated class-As and class Bs). They were all 165’ cutters, but some were called Thetis class and named after Greek mythology, except for most of them that were named after Indian tribes (c.f., Icarus, Dione, and Algonquin, Comanche). Woof !

I’m not sure where Orion came from, Spence, but I’m just using it as a descriptive shorthand. Sorry for any confusion. If they do, somehow, happen to get in, I’ll make sure to designate them as 165’ USCGC in the OOB and avoid any designation issues.

Ciao. John
JWE

Post by JWE »

BTW, Don (‘The Whip’) Bowen has been pushing us, mercilessly, to view the smaller vessels with the same degree of care and attention that would normally be paid to capital ships. My personal proclivities much follow Don’s, but he is such a perfectionist, in this regard, that sometimes I feel I’m channeling Zul.

Mr. Bowen is gonna give you a wealth of non-capital vessels, beyond the dreams of avarice !!
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

The 165(A) and 165(B) cutters were designed for different service.

The 165 Foot (A) class cutters (including Onondaga) were fitted for light ice breaking. They had the same overall length as the 165(B) class, but had a full 10 feet more beam (36' vs 23' 9") and almost twice the draft (12' 3'' vs 7'). This resulted in the (A) group having almost three times the displacement (1005 vs 337). So, even with more powerful engines (1500 vs 1340 SHP) they were slower (12.5 vs 16 knots). They also carried less fuel and were much shorter ranged. Endurance hindered their operations, especially in icy waters.

The 165 Foot (B) class cutters were patrol cutters, designed during prohibition for anti-smuggler duties. For war time operations, they were rated as submarine chasers.

The 165(A) were largely used in northern waters - Onondaga in Alaska and the rest in the Greenland Patrol.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Is the USS Minnow included? [:D]
Barb

Post by Barb »

JWE: well can you show us some of those little harbour launches, patrols, minefield tenders, lighters, ...
For both sides if possible[8D]
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Is the USS Minnow included? [:D]

That's already been asked. The crew had such a poor experience rating that the ship was sunk while still in the editor.

JWE

Post by JWE »

Oops.
Attachments
Small.jpg
Small.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 86 times
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Barb
JWE: well can you show us some of those little harbour launches, patrols, minefield tenders, lighters, ...
For both sides if possible[8D]
ok, here's a few.

YMS-1, Castle Class Trawler, Beam Trawler-type YP, Fairmile HDML
To’su Trawler, Cha-1 Tuna boat SC, T-51 MTB/MGB, Wa-101

All the different trawlers can be patrol boats, coastal minesweepers, net tenders, you name it. They can convert back & forth with little delay. I kinda like the Japanese CHa-1 tuna boat sub chaser. At 10-11 knots I’m sure it could chase; whether it could catch anything is an open question. [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”