A Vow of Celibacy

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Canoerebel

A Vow of Celibacy

Post by Canoerebel »

I have seen the enemy and the enemy is WitP. My lack of willpower and the insidiously addictive alure of this game has transformed me into a man that would gladly spend 18 hours a day in front of his computer plotting ways to defeat Japan.

But the cost is too high. Sure, I can use the breaks from work. Writing and editing is great at prompting writer's block and mental cobwebs, so I was able to justify playing two or three or five turns a day....I'd just work in between turns, and the mental break from work was helped keep me fresh and productive.

But, oh, the cost! Mental breaks from work used to consist of vigorous runs or mountain bike rides or spontaneous hikes to free my mind from cobwebs. Those outings continue, but are less frequent and squeezed in only between turns.

I used to regularly schedule outings with my family - a bike ride after work, a half day off to do this or that...you get the idea. We still do alot of things like that, but there's no denying that WitP has encroacheed on family time, personal time, work time, all the time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still a productive worker, engaged with my family, and a lover of the outdoors. Yet I can't deny that WitP has eroded the time I used to devote to these.

Now that I've finished both of my games, I have vowed to remain "celibate" for at least six months. I want to see what life is like without WitP - to see if a properly balanced lifestyle is to be preferred to one dominated by this beloved game. Once I give it up long enough, I hope I'll be able to impartially evaluate the merits of remaining celibate.

"So," you ask, "why not just play in moderation?"

I can't. I'm not sure why, but I can't. I excercise commendable self-control in many areas of life, but not with WitP.

I'm positive that it's all or nothing for me.

Today was my first WitP-free day since early 2007. True, there have been other days when I didn't play - family vacations, backpacking trips, etc. - but it's different when you know the games are over and you're not contemplating future moves and strategies. Suddenly there's a big hole that WitP used to fill.

At first, my vow was going to be "Six months or until AE comes out," but now that it appears that AE is just around the corner, I'll have to include AE with WitP.

As the days crawl by and this morphine-addict goes cold turkey, I'll let you know what life is like without WitP for a WitP-addict. Can I do it? I hope so. But I wonder....
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ool

RE: A Vow of Celibacy

Post by ool »

Resistance is futile! You have been assimilated.

As you lay awake some night you will ponder," Had I moved this division from point A to Point C instead I could've halted the enemy assault." Or the even deadlier and much more "what if I" bug. There is no AV software for this one because it is in you soul! Remembering critical battles and suddenly realising you should've prepared a defense point in another fashion, some other types of troops or units. Had I done it this way......

I fear you are just another brave Sir Robin who is ready to take on 4 and 20 virgins with the mind set that you could make it through all of them.

I fear we have a new Don Quixote!
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

I agree with you rebel, there was a time when I played world of warcraft when it first came out. Imagine me at 22 a Marine for 3 1/2 years then, playing WoW every day. I gave it up cold turkey and was worth it in the end. I learn to play WiTP only an hour or two a day so it doesnt' consume my time. I mainly use it for my heroin to get over things in my life, such as the last 3 years which has been pure hell.

Its one step at a time, when you get some time away, simply come back and play the AI for an hour a day, you will enjoy the game so much more, yet you will appreciate alot more in life. I hope you find what you want and salute to your goals!
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
marky

Post by marky »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

I agree with you rebel, there was a time when I played world of warcraft when it first came out. Imagine me at 22 a Marine for 3 1/2 years then, playing WoW every day. I gave it up cold turkey and was worth it in the end. I learn to play WiTP only an hour or two a day so it doesnt' consume my time. I mainly use it for my heroin to get over things in my life, such as the last 3 years which has been pure hell.

Its one step at a time, when you get some time away, simply come back and play the AI for an hour a day, you will enjoy the game so much more, yet you will appreciate alot more in life. I hope you find what you want and salute to your goals!

WOW is even deadlier than WITP [:D]
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

What pissed me off about warcraft, was simply all the work I put into the game before the first expansion, I had the best gear and raided the last dungeon and when the expansion came out - all your gear and experience ment nothing. The expansion was ment for new players to get into the game and not be "left behind" by the veteran players. So any new player could get a level 70 character and get into a decent dungeon raid while old experience veterans were stuck having to re-level back up and get new gear.

I kind of felt blizzard trashed all the work I put up to that point, however I didn't come off it without anything, I sold my account making $1500 for my characters in the game and bought a Chevy Silverado - and TRUST ME it was worth the trade. Cartoon character or big boy truck? you tell me [:D]
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
marky

Post by marky »

What pissed me off about warcraft, was simply all the work I put into the game before the first expansion, I had the best gear and raided the last dungeon and when the expansion came out - all your gear and experience ment nothing. The expansion was ment for new players to get into the game and not be "left behind" by the veteran players. So any new player could get a level 70 character and get into a decent dungeon raid while old experience veterans were stuck having to re-level back up and get new gear.

I kind of felt blizzard trashed all the work I put up to that point, however I didn't come off it without anything, I sold my account making $1500 for my characters in the game and bought a Chevy Silverado - and TRUST ME it was worth the trade. Cartoon character or big boy truck? you tell me [:D]

someone paid you 1500$ for a character?

stuman

Post by stuman »

You know, of course, that the currently addicted never like to hear from former users. Can you just pretend that you changed your mind and are actually playing again ? It will make some of us feel better.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

[/quote]

[/quote]

You arn't kidding, what people will pay on Ebay for game characters is beyond me. Google up Warcraft characters for sale, some of the prices are outrageous.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I understand the WITP syndrome as I too am an addict.  I limit myself to only 2 active games (PBEM) at a time and notice I didn't mention a turn per day limit?  My wife and dog see less of me as a result and I'm sure that the dog misses me more than my wife does.  When we lose the internet I get antsy and then irritable because this means no WITP.  I'm not interested in a cure though as I keep telling myself that I'm not letting life pass me by.

I just went for 4 days with no internet access while I traveled and I admit to drinking a beer and drifting off to my strategic and tactical plans.  I did get a lot of bang for the buck with this game though.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
marky

Post by marky »

ORIGINAL: stuman

You know, of course, that the currently addicted never like to hear from former users. Can you just pretend that you changed your mind and are actually playing again ? It will make some of us feel better.

[:D]

is that directed at me?[:D] i never played but i know quite a few WOW addicts, its truly dangerous[:D]
marky

Post by marky »

You arn't kidding, what people will pay on Ebay for game characters is beyond me. Google up Warcraft characters for sale, some of the prices are outrageous.

indeed. i knew a guy in EVE Online that buys timecards with real cash and sells them for ingame money, ISK. i also know a guy in the corporation im in(for EVE) that made a character and sold him ingame for something like 5 billion ISK.
stuman

Post by stuman »

EvE actually makes a significant portion of its income off of selling those cards.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

"Hello---My name is John and I am a WitP addict."

I am WAAAAYYYY too weak to make such a vow and since I'm unemployed...

The only way I stop playing this damned game is for me to go to jail.     We'll see!

I commend my worthy opponent for going Cold Turkey!!!  He is a far stronger man then me.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger »

As the days crawl by and this morphine-addict goes cold turkey, I'll let you know what life is like without WitP for a WitP-addict. Can I do it? I hope so. But I wonder....

So you mean we can wait for an AAR of your post WitP life??
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

"Hello---My name is John and I am a WitP addict."

I am WAAAAYYYY too weak to make such a vow and since I'm unemployed...

The only way I stop playing this damned game is for me to go to jail.     We'll see!

I commend my worthy opponent for going Cold Turkey!!!  He is a far stronger man then me.

No kidding, I am an unemployed marine that can't get a job locally because only thing available is fast food, only education I have is in computers and its useless in central florida right now. Be great if I could get paid to play WiTP, would have the best job ever and work for the BEST company ever! Hmm don't think matrix bought my sucking up.
Honda

Post by Honda »

This thread got my attention...
I've been sober for more then a year now, I think. I actually played just one pbem, but before that I played UV and took about 2 years to master WitP to prepare for pbem (I was worth it).
My life right now is very different then before, now that WitP is just an alluring memory.
The biggest problem I see in WitP's all-engrossiveness is its ability to divert time from real people in life. With friends, it easy. The right ones even share your interests. The problem comes with family, namely MkIs. Honestly, when WitP kicks in, I mean really kicks in, the wife doesn't have much of a marriage to speak of. So the thing is, a proper relationship is likely to suffer immensely under the long-term strain of WitP.
And now, to put the pants back on...seeing six months worth of planning unfold perfectly - better then sex [&o]

Go figure [:D]
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

No kidding, I am an unemployed marine that can't get a job locally because only thing available is fast food, only education I have is in computers and its useless in central florida right now. Be great if I could get paid to play WiTP, would have the best job ever and work for the BEST company ever! Hmm don't think matrix bought my sucking up.

I got out of the army in the late 70s and went to computer school. Last programming job I had they were looking for an entry level person and they had over 60 applicants with 5 or more years experience. Went to truck driving school in 1984 and havent regretted it for a minute.
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Well if you play turn a day its not so time consuming its just 20 or so minutes to complete a turn[:D]

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)
Honda

Post by Honda »

Yup, but what about the weaving and scheming!?
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

"Once you had it, you've gotta have it..."

[;)]

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”