OT- Somalian Pirates

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

TommyG

OT- Somalian Pirates

Post by TommyG »

This is a pretty knowlegeable forum. What do you guys think should be done about the Pirates in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden? 2300 ships a year go thru the Gulf. Why can't they convoy weekly, one each direction, between Djibouti and the Seychelles. Seems like five DDs with helicopter support should be more than enough protection for each convoy no matter how strung out and confused they get. Also, a half dozen Q-ships could be added out side the convoy runs to make a real party. What's wrong with my scenario?
Terminus

RE: OT- Somalian Pirates

Post by Terminus »

So I guess you "didn't see" the last Somali pirates thread that was removed from the WitP forum two days ago?[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: TommyG

This is a pretty knowlegeable forum. What do you guys think should be done about the Pirates in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden? 2300 ships a year go thru the Gulf. Why can't they convoy weekly, one each direction, between Djibouti and the Seychelles. Seems like five DDs with helicopter support should be more than enough protection for each convoy no matter how strung out and confused they get. Also, a half dozen Q-ships could be added out side the convoy runs to make a real party. What's wrong with my scenario?

This isn't going to end well... [X(]

[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I did NOT post in this thread... [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Every time one of these stupid threads gets started, Erik ends up having to shut it down, taking time away from preparing AE. Think about that before pressing the "NEW THREAD" button next time...[:-]
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

I'm pretty sure somewhere another kitten is paying the ultimate price as well.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

See??? Bad! Badbadbadbad!!!
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

I blame Denmark
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy.....don't you realize that asking an adult , real world question is going to incur the the wrath of WITP Gods? It is forbidden to discuss current, real world issues like intelligent adults! You should know better than that! Do a Faber, or something else of a nonsensical nature (and therefore inoffensive). Post a nun or a naked animal picture or something. [:-][:-][:-]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Post a nun or a naked animal picture or something. [:-][:-][:-]

But if you get the two mixed up that might get you banned. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Post a nun or a naked animal picture or something. [:-][:-][:-]

But if you get the two mixed up that might get you banned. [:D]

No doubt.[8|]
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

Image Image
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
TommyG

Post by TommyG »

In the immortal words of Emily Litella: "never mind"
bobogoboom

Post by bobogoboom »

i vote 20 posts till lock. this should generaly be posted in the general disscusions forum of the main forum not witp erik will just move it if its here.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

In the immortal words of Emily Litella: "never mind"

For what it's worth Tommy, I am very interested in this matter. I'm currently co-authoring a series of articles on it, and co-authored a letter to the editor of the WSJ . So it's not that we are not interested in the subject, or your opions, it's just that they are not permitted here. If a question in not directly related to WITP, or could even remotely be considered political, it's locked. Period. If it is not locked at first, it will be.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Tommy,

Further to what Steve said, there are many political differences of opinion here as well. What you and I might agree on might be non-sensible to someone else here, and vice versa. The non-political rule is to keep the forum both focused and friendly ('cause while many of us can agree to disagree courteously, sometimes it goes the other way!).
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Try posting this topic over here........you will get more discussion than you may want.......

http://maddogdrivethru.com./index.php?sid=89eb25100666079c956a13fa86d9e3e4

But I can tell you what most of the posters will say........same as me........
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

But since this thread hasn't been locked, I'll bite. The force you describe sounds much bigger than necessary. One "mothership" (like an amphib or replenishment ship), 1DDG and a couple of frigates should be able to patrol the area nicely. But there are more forces than that already there. It's the "rules of engagement" that are causing most of the grief. [8|]
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Convoying won't work because the shipping companies will lose money with delays in their schedules while the convoy slots fill up.  It is estimated that the efficiency of British shipyards was reduced by a third due to convoying in WWII; imagine what "just in time" shipping would go through if they had to wait weeks for a convoy to form up.

Q-ships would work for a while, but IMO what would work better is to allow armed parties on the merchant ships.  I've seen some recommendations to put deck guns or MG's on them but that would probably create all sorts of problems for foreign ports, most who don't allow armed merchant ships to enter them without lengthy inspections and certification that the weapons are safed in an off position while in port.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

The admiral who gave the briefing yesterday described the area of ocean involved as something like: 'Draw a line from New York to Chicago to Texas to Florida then back to New York. That's the size of the area of ocean involved.'

It's pretty tough to cover physically. The Bainbridge was over 300nm away when the first report of pirate trouble came in from the ship.

Return to “General Discussion”