In the meantime...

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

O`Connor

In the meantime...

Post by O`Connor »

hi,

I echo the requests to know if Combat Command is still on the drawing board, or has gone for good. I thought it was a well thought-out, nicely proportioned game, with a welcome emphasis on command and control and rules that did the job without getting bogged down in details. It would be great to see it brought back to life. There's nothing at the moment that fills quite that niche.

In the meantime... I dragged out the original games to give them another go, but both (CC2 Gold and CC2: Desert Rats) crashed on startup. The error message in both cases is the extremely generic "CC2 MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close." Underneath that a lot of stuff about offsets. Running on Windows XP. I've played around with compatibility settings, tried just about every combination there is but no luck.

Any advice?
Peter Fisla

RE: In the meantime...

Post by Peter Fisla »

Hmmm....I think CC2 was written in Visual C++ 6, I think you might be missing the Visual C++ Runtime libraries: MSVCRT.DLL, MSVCRT40.DLL and MFC42.DLL. I would suggest you put these into your CC2 folder.
O`Connor

Post by O`Connor »

Copied the files into the game folders, unfortunately same result as before. Thanks anyway.
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

Anything going on with this game?
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
Splusmer

Post by Splusmer »

Do you think he needs to register the dlls? Or maybe it's looking for them in a Windows directory (system or system32)?
sabre100

Post by sabre100 »

I have desert rats and it works fine on XP and Vista no issues for me.

try this and see if it works, download and install the runtime properly so it registers the files correctly:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259403

Return to “Combat Command Series”