Allied Submarines Question

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Misconduct

Allied Submarines Question

Post by Misconduct »

I was curious how allied players use the subs, for example I have my home base for Dutch Harbor, Pearl and Gili Gili. I use Dutch Harbor for coastal japan waters, Pearl for Truk/saipan area, Gili for Rubaul area. I normally carry out my repairs at either Pearl/Seattle. How does everyone else use the subs?
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Terminus

RE: Allied Submarines Question

Post by Terminus »

Pretty unrealistic to put subs in large numbers at Dutch Harbor and Mud Mud (especially). You need to choke off the straits north and south of the Philippines as well as the Malaccan straits. Some boats west and east of Formosa can score well too.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
marky

Post by marky »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Pretty unrealistic to put subs in large numbers at Dutch Harbor and Mud Mud (especially). You need to choke off the straits north and south of the Philippines as well as the Malaccan straits. Some boats west and east of Formosa can score well too.

watch out for those ASW patrols though [X(]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, those are going to be there anyway, if your opponent has a brain. If you want the sheep, you have to go through the shepherds first.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, those are going to be there anyway, if your opponent has a brain. If you want the sheep, you have to go through the shepherds first.

Wouldn't I just go to New Zealand if I wanted sheep? I hear they have stockings on their sheep[:D]
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
FOW

Post by FOW »

Subs being slow, sending them to PH for repair takes too long.

For the subs operating in SOPAC area I send them for repair/refit in to Aukland and/or Melbourne - those small Repair Yards (with an AR) are handy for subs.

I tend to operate my subs based on their endurance (time to get on station limits patrol length):
S-boats and 11000 endurance from SOPAC/SWPAC
16000 from SEAC
18000 from NOPAC
19250 from CENPAC

(is my slight OCD showing through here ???)
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

I was curious how allied players use the subs, for example I have my home base for Dutch Harbor, Pearl and Gili Gili. I use Dutch Harbor for coastal japan waters, Pearl for Truk/saipan area, Gili for Rubaul area. I normally carry out my repairs at either Pearl/Seattle. How does everyone else use the subs?
US fleet subs are not too great at the beginning of the war... many players elect the historic role: use them (fleet subs) for mining operations, as well as evacuations of critical troops from cut off places.

The Dutch, British, and S-boats are good but fragile... their torpedoes work, but they tend to be a bit short-legged... these will generally be the "top-scorers" early in the war, but losses are often high, esp. among the fragile Dutch subs.

Try to use your few "dedicated" mine-layers to leave surprises around at different IJN ports and keep the enemy off balance... if you keep mining the same port, they will just concentrate MSWs there and the mining efforts will be negated.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: FOW

Subs being slow, sending them to PH for repair takes too long.

For the subs operating in SOPAC area I send them for repair/refit in to Aukland and/or Melbourne - those small Repair Yards (with an AR) are handy for subs.

I tend to operate my subs based on their endurance (time to get on station limits patrol length):
S-boats and 11000 endurance from SOPAC/SWPAC
16000 from SEAC
18000 from NOPAC
19250 from CENPAC

(is my slight OCD showing through here ???)

I'm pretty sure your current SoPAC sub base isn't Auckland. Melbourne is noted though, thanks for the tip![:D]
Barb

Post by Barb »

I tend to use Perth for operations in DEI-Philipines area.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Barb

I tend to use Perth for operations in DEI-Philipines area.

Question Barb, in my campaign (against AI) would it be an idea to use a dozen or so subs, say out of perth or Darwin to run and capture a base out of java or something closer?
I been pondering this against the AI, however few problems, supply is an issue for one, second lack of airpower could be an issue also. Would it be worth the risk of getting a forward area?
Barb

Post by Barb »

Base is usefull only until it has combat potential and have sufficient supplies to conduct offensive operations. If you are going to get a base by subs and then supply it by subs - it is as usefull as any Japanese base in Carolines when allies hold surrounding islands in 1944 ... [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I.e. "not at all" useful... Unless your objective is to give the enemy free points...
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Oh, I do similar. My Japan coastal patrols are Dutch Harbor/Kodiak/Anchorage (I move them around from game to game) and repair in Canada. If I send patrols into the Gilbert/Marshalls area I send them from Pearl. But I dont often do this. My Solomons patrols are usually based in Townsville or Rockhampton. My eastern DEI patrols are based in either Darwin or Perth (sometimes Broome), while my western NEI is based in India/Ceylon. I tend to deploy subs by class to an area.

Edit: But Im not often the allies [;)]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”