ACW add-on battles

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
Luciano B

RE: Battles of the Rappahannock Front - BG Expansion

Post by Luciano B »

ORIGINAL: Fubar

Wow i only just bought the JTBG ACW/Nappy bundle pack recently and have been having great fun playing these classic games again and now i see this.....could the week get any better i wonder?

Keep up the great work, it's highly talented people like you that keep mod communities alive. [&o]

TTFN Matt

Thanks Matt/Fubar ...I really love the old BG games, and I completely agree with you when you call them "classic" ...I hope to keep my motivations alive to complete the projects, so thank you very much for the support :)
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

So..... *cough* when can we get our hands on this? *cough* *cough*
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

So..... *cough* when can we get our hands on this? *cough* *cough*

I really don't know when I'll manage to complete the stuff above ...it depends upon the amount of free time I'll be able to spare.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I think for a mod like this a donation is in order. It takes a great deal of time and effort. I would be happy to donate $10 thru paypal to you bud with a hardy thank you!
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Great work! Very impressive, Luciano.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

Thank you very much, gentlemen, for your kind words. I'm glad there's so much enthusiasm over this stuff :)
berto

RE: ACW add-on battles

Post by berto »

Questions for both you, Luciano, and Matrix:
ORIGINAL: Luciano B

Gentlemen and fellow BG enthusiasts, some of you may remember my old, never completed project covering the battle of the Wilderness (1864) and the other battles of the Rappahannock front...

Since it seems that there's still a lot of interest around the old BG titles, I'm taking into consideration to continue the effort and complete all those games...

Let me know please your feelings ... comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Pardon me for mentioning HPS, but:

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon in vain attempting to install and get working your (Luciano's) 3rd Winchester scenario, as posted at the ACW Campaign Games Design Center, for HPS' Campaign Corinth. With I believe all files correctly in place (not just yours, but also the auxiliaries), the map would load correctly, but no units. Something about an error in the .SCN file. I had similar difficulty, and similar failure, with several of the other posted scenarios (by other authors). Is this due to
8. These Add-Ons won't work with Corinth after I applied a new patch. Why not?

HPS has decided to protect their investment in their games by blocking maps which did not come with the original games, starting with Corinth patch 1.02...

Who knows? I didn't bother reinstalling Campaign Corinth (and leaving it unpatched) to find out. Life is too short.

A large part of the appeal of returning to the Tiller BGS games is the wealth of free user-modded scenarios available, particularly for NIR (see the Napoleon in Russia Project), also yours. But as I survey the mod and fan site scene, I see lots of broken links, outdated and even abandoned sites. Poorly organized. Confusing! Does not inspire confidence.

Other older Matrix games (one example: Uncommon Valor) are taking on new life as, years after initial release, modding teams are organized and gain access to the original game source code. In particular, another John Tiller game, John Tiller's Campaign Series (East Front, West Front, Rising Sun)--not only did Matrix remarket that old classic, it is being actively developed and extended, with new patches, upgrades, new scenarios, even entirely new eras and topics--all as easy-to-install, very-likely-to-work officially supported packages.

Question, Matrix: Is there any prospect that the John Tiller BGS games will be similarly blessed?

No offense to you, Luciano, but if in future attempting to install your Battles on the Rappahannock mod I have to jump through all sorts of hoops and struggle to get the thing to work ... I probably won't bother. I just want things to work "out of the box," with the least hassle. I don't want to futz and mod. I just want to play!

So, Matrix (repeating): Is there any prospect that the John Tiller BGS games will get the same treatment--active, officially sanctioned mods and upgrades extending into the future--as, say, the John Tiller Campaign Series (and other older games in your lineup)?

Or are the John Tiller BGS games officially done, stuck in time, forever just available on a take-it-or-leave-it basis?

If the latter, the BGS games lose much of their potential appeal (for me), and I will probably just give up on them and turn my attention back to the HPS ACW and Napoleonic games (actively supported, upgraded, new titles coming out all the time). Sure, I will have to pay HPS for their new stuff, but I don't mind paying for the peace of mind and convenience. Time is money, too.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Luciano B

Post by Luciano B »

Berto, about the sceario covering the 3rd Battle of winchester for HPS Corinth, I'm afraid that you have to reinstall again CC Corinth and then the patch 1.01.

About BG add-on's, you have to copy each battle package into the game main directory, and launch them using bgc.exe file (the icon with the eagle). It should be something quite simple.

I agree with you that would be great if the development of the BG series will receive official support from Matrix, but only Matrix and John Tiller may give you an answer... I can only hope together with you :)

rtshaw

Post by rtshaw »

Hi Luciano,

I followed the original posts on this thread and then things kind of went silent. How is your Battles on the Rappahannock project coming along? Is it still alive? I'm a big fan of the series and have always wanted to see battles from the 1864 Overland Campaign. Thanks!
berto

Post by berto »

I'm still interested in these projects. Brownie points if they work successfully in Linux. [:)]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”