Supply Ship Question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JWE

Supply Ship Question

Post by JWE »

Have a small puzzle and want to know what the players might think.

We got Japanese supply ships (Mamiya, Irako, Soya, Kashino, those little Kinezaki things, etc …) that were basically refrigerated supply ships – food, cows, stuff like that. But the game does not have refrigerated supply. So what to do with them. We could allow an early conversion to an AKE (takes time and pulls them off line for a few weeks). They end up eventually upgrading to ammo transports (AKEs), but what do they begin life as?

Two choices, really; AG or xAK (small ship tender with small gun rearm capability, or general cargo). No, they can’t start life as AKEs, you don’t store torps in a meat locker.

Thoughts?
NormS3

RE: Supply Ship Question

Post by NormS3 »

Vote for AG that upgrades to AKE later.

Small ship tenders tended to be specialized or have specific purposes anyway, right?

Any chance of giving them some capability to haul small levels of cargo?
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Norm3
Vote for AG that upgrades to AKE later.

Small ship tenders tended to be specialized or have specific purposes anyway, right?
Right.
Any chance of giving them some capability to haul small levels of cargo?
Supply is supply, is supply. Tenders have a number in the “cargo capacity” data field already. For ‘tenders’ this number has a dual purpose; cargo and rearm calcs. Since you have “cargo”, you can load it, move it, and unload it just like a merchie.

To keep things from getting too obvious (ok, I’ll just convert everything into a tender), a tender has a substantially smaller cargo capacity than the identical merchie (xAK) version. I think about 25% less, or so, something like that.

pad152

Post by pad152 »

Without knowing what's the player has at start with, it's just a guess but, the let the player decide. Start with one class (AG or AKE ) and allow the player to convert them to either as needed.

John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Could they start as AK's with a very small cargo capacity (500 or so)?  That would make them marginally useful in their original state but encourage their conversion to something better.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Ok, maybe we can do this. We start them off as AGs. We let them “convert” to AKEs on or about 8 or 9/42.

Now, the AI doesn’t recognize or do “conversions”, only upgrades, so we keep them as AGs in the regular ladder. Since they never were AKEs, irl, that shouldn’t be a game issue. A human player can bump them if they are willing to pay the time and shipyard costs.

Yes, I think that would be the ticket. Yes?
Dili

Post by Dili »

I would put them as supply ships. Maybemaking them flexible with some troop , supply and fuel capacity. Something different and more flexible than just a supply ship.
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Dili
I would put them as supply ships. Maybemaking them flexible with some troop , supply and fuel capacity. Something different and more flexible than just a supply ship.
This is AE. There is no such thing as a supply ship. There is no such thing as a ship having fuel capacity. Please keep to the paradigm.
Dili

Post by Dili »

I meant a ship that transports supply, a xAK then. Concerning fuel, do you mean only AO and TK's can transport fuel even if the player puts a value in Fuel transport field for other ship classes?
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

The USN had these ships as well, what about them?

My gramps had a war story around it. When the 41st Division took Wakde Is., the resistance was less than expected, and the troops rapidly moved on to the next target. Gramps stayed behind as he was a pilot, and Wakde had an airstrip. In anticipation of a large number of men stationed there, the army/navy had sent a barge full of refrigerated pork. The smaller garrison was put on an all-pork diet for a month to use it up; chipped pork, pork on toast, grilled pork. That and bananas. FUN TIMES!
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

The USN had these ships as well, what about them?

My gramps had a war story around it. When the 41st Division took Wakde Is., the resistance was less than expected, and the troops rapidly moved on to the next target. Gramps stayed behind as he was a pilot, and Wakde had an airstrip. In anticipation of a large number of men stationed there, the army/navy had sent a barge full of refrigerated pork. The smaller garrison was put on an all-pork diet for a month to use it up; chipped pork, pork on toast, grilled pork. That and bananas. FUN TIMES!

Must have sucked being a Jewish member of that unit![X(]

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
JWE

Post by JWE »

I thought Father Guido Sarducci was working a deal - for the duration, pigs would be considered as goats?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I vote for xAK. They are food transporting ships and food in WiTP and AE terms is defined as supply and/or resources. It would even be better if they had 0 troop capacity. For later conversion, I'd just make it convertable into one of the standard bulk cargo types, you rip out the refridgeration units and now you have simple cargo holds.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

Since the Japs dont have any AGs at start, that would be my preference.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Well, that does seem to make the most sense. So, that's what we'll do then.
33Vyper

Post by 33Vyper »

Interesting question

I just googled the Mamiya....

says she was 15,800 tons...not so small....

wiki has info that she supported in her 'food services roll' for the entire war...

if it looks like a cargo vessel....sails like a cargo vessel....

its a duck :)

Jorm

Post by Jorm »

ah, have to vote for xAK

easier as foodstuff is already a generic supply item
jrcar

Post by jrcar »

What about an aircraft carrier... they carry food in refrigeraters... can always do with more :)

xAK otherwise, they are almost as good as a CV...

Cheers

Rob
AE BETA Breaker
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

What do you mean you can't transport people in freezers?  The mob does it all the time!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

What do you mean you can't transport people in freezers?  The mob does it all the time!

-F-

Yes, but those people generally aren't expected to move under their own power afterwards. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”