Video Released of how Wargames Will Be Played In The Future...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Veldor

Video Released of how Wargames Will Be Played In The Future...

Post by Veldor »

So its likely a crappy game, or at least not for me, but the developers of RUSE have managed to capture EXACTLY the style I'd like to see for next-gen computer board wargaming in the trailer for it (unfortuneately the actual game doesn't play that way).

Anyways..You'll have to watch the trailer for yourself to understand what I'm talking about (Board Wargaming meets Computer Wargaming courtesy of something like Minority Report ala Tom Cruise).

Then...Matrix & Developer Friends...Please get right to work on it. [:D]

Thanks. Technically this wasn't suppose to "Air" until tommorrow when the website launches..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4adCmQktA
V22 Osprey

RE: Video Released of how Wargames Will Be Played In The Future...

Post by V22 Osprey »

To bad wargames aren't really played like that.....but just imagine.....being able to control units thats on a touch screen![:D]

That would be so badass![8D]

Edit:Looked around, found some screenshots and a couple of videos....looks like it shouldnt(but may) need a meaty computer like Supreme Commander.Before I got my new graphics card, SupCom was terrible, I had a decent video card but it ran slow, nothing going on, on lowest settings but I could play company of heroes fine.Hopefully RUSE is detailed yet does not have insane system requirements.Also it looks like its YET ANOTHER WWII game.I was kinda hoping for some Soviet vs. NATO Action.Its gonna have to be really inovative if they're going to bring up WWII again.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

That would be a cool way to play.

There's a couple of companies that have the touch screen tables.... just need games for them... eh Eric?!?

But is just me or are those to "nancy boys" just NOT the wargaming types?[:D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

...But is just me or are those to "nancy boys" just NOT the wargaming types?[:D]
I was thinking the same thing...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

...But is just me or are those to "nancy boys" just NOT the wargaming types?[:D]
I was thinking the same thing...

As for the game itself - I didn't find it very attractive. I've grown out of "flashy" strategic/tactical games some time ago (unless it would be a FPP simulation of a low-level commander, of course).
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

It would've been more exciting if they actually used the touch screen table in the trailer, but since its a regualr game it doesn't look all that great....especially since they are going back to WWII which I think we've seen enough of in RTS games...
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Personally, I don't like the idea of touch screens. I mean, there are touch screens on post office and other weird places and after a while they start looking pretty horrible with greasy fingerprints all over them XD ...
Not to mention that mouse and keyboards is easier to use...
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

...As for the game itself - I didn't find it very attractive. I've grown out of "flashy" strategic/tactical games some time ago (unless it would be a FPP simulation of a low-level commander, of course).
Something like the Close Combat series would be cool on the touch screens...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Looks like playing as God, rather than a commander.

I suppose that there will be some decent application devised for such a system eventually. I am happy with the PC mode-it would be nice if there was greater flexibility and fewer bugs though. No doubt, such a new system will involve a great may "bugs".
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

If I wanted to wave my arms about like that I'd turn on the Wii!  Seriously, although I can see many uses for touch screens RTS gaming isn't one of them.. in what possible way would that be superior to mouse and keyboard?  And the great unanswered question, of course, how do those guys reach the other side of the table!

I suppose it might be more sociable in a boardgame sort of way.. but then how long before that nice touch screen gets covered in pizza and beer? [:D]
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

Make everyone wear latex gloves?
Veldor

Post by Veldor »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

If I wanted to wave my arms about like that I'd turn on the Wii!  Seriously, although I can see many uses for touch screens RTS gaming isn't one of them.. in what possible way would that be superior to mouse and keyboard?  And the great unanswered question, of course, how do those guys reach the other side of the table!

I suppose it might be more sociable in a boardgame sort of way.. but then how long before that nice touch screen gets covered in pizza and beer? [:D]

It was not RTS gaming or the graphics displayed that interested me... Rather the device itself and the interface mechanics.

You see I've been complaining about these computer wargames for years. I'm in that camp that justs never happy because they all fail to scratch that itch that board wargaming provides. All the 2D graphics and hexes in the world hasn't solved that... And 3D wonders and semi-RTS systems and such even less so.

So it was somewhat ironic that after searching for so long for something to replace board wargaming it finally occured to me, perhaps out of pure boredom and lack of other choices..in desperation.., to just try boardgaming again...all ranges in fact...and found its actually better than its ever been. Bite my toungue and a little effort later have even found a plethora of local opponents and such. I had bought into, and perpetuated, that boardgaming was dead and/or obsolete when its anything but.

I don't think its appeal is purely social and/or tactile in nature. But to me those who made that video nailed its appeal though they applied it through technology and, unfortuneately, RTS gaming. What I imagine is something akin to Matrix's Lock'n Load game on such a device... with an interface that works as detailed (No not like the post office touch screens...more like the referenced Minority Report movie and not WII like in an arcade way but motion-captured commands for certain functions like scrolling the map) Though partly a large flat table screen like that shows much more of a battlefield not unlike a board wargame.

So we could have REAL computerized board wargames with such a setup. A truly "modern" board wargaming experience.

Anyway the vision appealed to me so I thought I'd share.. I'm passing on the game itself.

PS. One other thought is towards how such a setup (Already mentioned to not really be all that far off) perhaps solves the greatest challenge today facing computer wargames... An A.I. opponent. Interesting to me is how if you change the computing device and interface significantly enough (such as in the video).. it becomes far more natural and enticing to play Face to Face, just as in the video...and just as in board wargaming..

Suddenly the need for an A.I. drops sharply. Something no doubt Matrix or any other computer wargame company would no doubt welcome.

I'm thrilled that I'm still young enough that I'll see just that kind of PC type gaming table actually materialize. Lets all hope its sooner rather than later and that Matrix is still around to make games for it...

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Cute and interesting, but I think would rather cut my finger ends off and force myself to eat pickled onions without a fork. [:'(]

Also, it seems there is this drive again for no AI. Unfortunately, although I wouldn't regard myself as a social leper, I do not have any wargaming friends. Such a system would be useless for me.

I would agree in so much as you take away the board, the pieces and the box and stick them on a chip and you have a boardgame computerised...but again, isn't that pretty much what we have with computer games now? Computerised boardgames? [&:]
Alba gu' brath
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Very attractive BUT less Tigers on the beaches and  more realism, then i can kiss whats left of my life goodbye!
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Also, it seems there is this drive again for no AI. Unfortunately, although I wouldn't regard myself as a social leper, I do not have any wargaming friends. Such a system would be useless for me.
Same here[:D].
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

this is what PBEM is for - your wargaming friend can be 6000 miles away - in fact mine is, no need to be at the same table, no need to wear snazzy suits either!!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Can't say as I agree, Veldor.

What I saw was pretty much an interface that would work for your typical RTS, with limited numbers of units and a focus on unit micro-management to activate powers or send in reinforcements. From an interface standpoint, it would work for a subset of wargames, but for larger wargames the turn-based structure is really necessary to have time to actually do everything you should be able to do and even within a more real-time structure, existing interfaces like Panther's make management just as easy. Within a turn-based structure, I don't see this interface adding anything beyond what current interfaces can do.

Touch screens and all that are fun, but I don't see it as a fundamentally better interface for wargaming, just different. Very cool for RTS-style games though, especially as the "Ruse" basically depended on very limited line of sight, just like RTS games have. :-)

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

this is what PBEM is for - your wargaming friend can be 6000 miles away - in fact mine is, no need to be at the same table, no need to wear snazzy suits either!!
Strangely enough I find PBEM very sterile and not fluid enough to enjoy. When I'm gaming, I like to game on THAT game. I don't want to do a turn and walk away. I've never picked up a piece in a chess game and moved it in the morning on the way out the house and looked and moved another piece on the way in...broken gaming isn't what I like...and that is what PBEM is for me.

I would welcome hot seat and truly love the idea of playing boardgames, but unfortunately not knowing anyone near me with similar interests just doesn't give me the option to dismiss AI.
Alba gu' brath
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Strangely enough I find PBEM very sterile and not fluid enough to enjoy. When I'm gaming, I like to game on THAT game. I don't want to do a turn and walk away. I've never picked up a piece in a chess game and moved it in the morning on the way out the house and looked and moved another piece on the way in...broken gaming isn't what I like...and that is what PBEM is for me.

I would welcome hot seat and truly love the idea of playing boardgames, but unfortunately not knowing anyone near me with similar interests just doesn't give me the option to dismiss AI.

So Judge, when was the last time you played a game of CotA online?

It is tough resuming large games-(especially if you have more than one same scenario game) after waiting a week or so for a reply in the mail. situation. PBEM is convenient for sure, but there are drawbacks.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Well I didn't mean to single out PBEM.

Online strategy gaming isn't for me be it PBEM or real time.

Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind sitting down at a table with an opponent for 3 or 4 hours for a board game...but I think it's probably the interaction that makes that accessible for me.
Alba gu' brath

Return to “General Discussion”