Memories in the military

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

06 Maestro

RE: Memories in the military

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Halsey

In Rigger School, we had a Marine Gunney as an instructor.[;)]

I told him that I had tried to enlist in the Corps, but they wouldn't accept me.
When he asked why I was rejected from Marine enlistment.
I told him my enlistment was rejected because my mother and father weren't brother and sister.

That one only cost 40 pushups.
It was well worth it.[;)][:D]

LOL-that's bad.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I was on excercise once in Salisbury Plain. We had been there a week. I have no idea what came over me, but one night I went through the truck lines taking the jerry cans out of each truck and throwing them into the back of my truck. I then drove that truck out our location and drove to Mansfield to see my girlfriend telling anyone I encountered that I was on the Highway to Freedom!

I woke up in the morning and remember thinking the big camouflaged truck looked out of place outside the girls flat. I called camp and told them I was coming back. Was fined for the fuel and given 7 days Restriction of Priviledges (a horrible punishment where every spare minute of your day was used reporting to some little Hitler who was determined to make your life hell).

I was lucky, that's for sure. Funny thing was I was promoted a year after that...seemed I pulled my socks up!

As for the first story...we had a guy who did the same thing in Cyprus. We didn't even turn him over for an even grill! He was fined £200 and charged with "Self Inflicted Wounds"
Alba gu' brath
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Oh, I forgot to mention the time in 29 Palms on training exercises in the desert some planes dropped tear gas on our convoy. We vets put on our gas masks while the boots were still confused. Some guy told them to breath through rocks and they started picking them up and trying to breathe through them while we were covered in tear gas.

Laughing your (Bleep) off while wearing a gas mask is an experience!
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Baader Meinhof..Yeah..After Nam I was sent to Gutleut Kaserne, became a Military Policeman and that terrorist group was something some of us deploed and trained to interdict.

After most of this group was imprisoned, some Pals tried to free them by hijacking a jet to Entebbe.

But after the IDF put the kabosh on that, didn't the remaining BM members commit suicide in their cells?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Baader Meinhof..Yeah..After Nam I was sent to Gutleut Kaserne, became a Military Policeman and that terrorist group was something some of us deploed and trained to interdict.

After most of this group was imprisoned, some Pals tried to free them by hijacking a jet to Entebbe.

But after the IDF put the kabosh on that, didn't the remaining BM members commit suicide in their cells?

You´re mixing things up there.

The suicides came in ´77, the flight went to Mogadishu eventually, and the suicides came after the German counter-terrorist unit freed the hostages (minus one who was already dead). The ones who committed suicide in their cells were the de facto leaders of the group, not the "remaining members"; the group eventually dissolved itself in the mid-90s.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

You´re mixing things up there.

The suicides came in ´77, the flight went to Mogadishu eventually, and the suicides came after the German counter-terrorist unit freed the hostages (minus one who was already dead). The ones who committed suicide in their cells were the de facto leaders of the group, not the "remaining members"; the group eventually dissolved itself in the mid-90s.

Were there 2 separate hijackings?

General Dan Shamron, organiser of the Entebbe Raid, dies 26 February 2008
February 28, 2008 12:00 AM

"Lt. Gen. Dan Shamron, a former Chief of Staff for the Israeli Defence Forces, died yesterday. The 13th Chief of Staff, he was a highly decorated soldier, having received a Medal of Distinguished Service for being the first paratrooper to reach the Suez Canal during the Six Day War. However, his name will live on history as the paratroop commander who planned and led the audacious Entebbe Raid in 1976, which successfully freed 103 hijacked hostages held at Entebbe Airport in Uganda. Without a doubt it was one of the most daring counter-terrorism operations ever conducted.

The incident began on 27 June 1976 when an Air France jet travelling from Tel Aviv to Paris was hijacked by four terrorists, members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and the Badder-Meinhof terrorist group. The plane was eventually forced to land in Entebbe, Uganda and the Israeli government determined on a military solution when it became clear that no Israeli, Jewish or aircrew hostages would be released without the demands being met ..."

I thought those demands including freeing imprisoned B-M members?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I DEROS'd in '76, but kept in touch with some of my buddies. I learned that maybe a few months after I left, Baader Meinhof blew up the Terrace club and the I.G.Farben bldg,(renamed the Abrams bldg while I was still there)..

As important (or notorious) as that group was, I have never met a soul in "the WORLD" who ever heard of them..Not one....

decaro

Post by decaro »

... As important (or notorious) as that group was, I have never met a soul in "the WORLD" who ever heard of them..Not one....

Not any more: I have not only heard abt them, but read abt them in Time.
I understaand that Geman authoritites worked hard not only to infiltrate this group, but to flood the black market w/defective plactic explosive.

In the end, German efforts paid off.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

This sure sounds like Fischbach to me...
Mainz Lechenburg/Wackenheim-about 10 K's west of Mainz.

Thomas Jefferson

JWW

Post by JWW »

Two quick stories.

1.  As company commander during REFORGER 1984 (US practicing moving troops to Germany) one of my soldiers was injured in an incident in a conex (shipping container).  It turned out he was having sex with a female soldier and suffered an injury known commonly as a "twisted testicle."  We had to medevac him because it is a potentially serious injury and he spent the rest of the exercise recovering in the hospital.  I learned the details of how exactly he received the injury, but I cannot repeat that here.  Suffice it to say that you would be impressed.  I could have taken disciplinary action against both soldiers but decided that the embarassment was enough for them.

2.  In 1989 I accompanied an infantry battalion to Panama.  This was prior to Operation Just Cause.  During our initial situation briefing we were informed of threats in our operational area.  One threat was a US ammunition depot.  We were told not to approach the facility because it was guarded by US Marines, and they typically chose to shoot first and ask questions later.  We chose to give the ammunition depot a wide berth.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Hey JW, did you do Reforger 85? I participated in that one-coldest winter in decades-what a blast (from the east).

One special memory was at the end of the operation. I was the S2 for a tank Bn. Amongst the duties was acquiring and securing various reports from the line company's and reports to higher. These are considered sensitive items-not quite like a code book, but still very sensitive. Well, somehow (which I never was able to determine) one page came up missing when I turned in the log. The Bn Operations Officer called me on the carpet (I was a 1st Lt at the time). I did not know what to say, except I would find it. I went back out to the 577 (which was miles away) to look around-it was not there. So, what was I to do? I was bucking for a promotion and could not have this stick on me. I took a new form and, from memory, entered the various standard communications interspersed with some odd stuff for "flavor". I then took it and rubbed it on the floor and put a few wrinkles in it-it looked perfect for a lost document.

I took the document back to HQ and presented it. The Bn XO was there now. They both asked me repeatedly where I found it at-also, where did I get this, how did I get this and so on. They started to smile-I certainly was trying not to. They eventually accepted my story, so, I walked out of there a free man with a clean record-and a smile on my face. This certainly was not my style-never was, but sometimes you gotta do things...[:)]

Thomas Jefferson

rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

When we were over in Gulf War I, we never had enough of anything (except sand)...

Me and my driver were the scavengers for the battery. We would leave the pos around zero dark thirty and drive south. We would spend the day driving around just seeing what we could get our hands on (starters, alternators, HUMMVs etc.)

We found some showers sitting out in the middle of a concrete apron at the port. It was made of two by fours and plywood with about a thirty gallon tank on the top (that would beat trying to bathe from a five gallon jerry can). We backed the truck up, dropped the tailgate and managed to shove it up into the truck and we drove back to our pos. The first shirt was so proud of us (he was the master scrounger) He produce a kerosene emersion heater for the shower tank from somewhere.

We had to move a few times and every time, we had to come back and get the shower unit. Until the time we came back to get it to see tank tracks running up to where the shower used to be...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

.... Until the time we came back to get it to see tank tracks running up to where the shower used to be...

So, I bet you said; "gee, I guess those poor Marines needed it more than we did, I hope they enjoy their showers".
[:D]

Thomas Jefferson

wdboyd

Post by wdboyd »

"We were told not to approach the facility because it was guarded by US Marines, and they typically chose to shoot first and ask questions later."

That sounds about right. [;)]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils!"
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: JW

Two quick stories.

1.  As company commander during REFORGER 1984 ...

REturn of FORces to GERmany: I arrived at my unit too late to particpate in the last REFORGER in '89, but a unit designated as 2AD Forward was actually left in Germany and supposedly couldn't return stateside to rejoin the Division due to budget constraints.

2AD Forward participated in Desert Storm, but never linked-up w/its sister unit, 1st Bde, 2nd Armd Div.

All of 2AD inactivated shortly after ODS.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

REturn of FORces to GERmany:

Eh, make that "Redeployment of Forces to Germany".[;)]

Thomas Jefferson

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

They may be redeploying, but really its "Return of Forces to Germany".

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/R ... to+Germany
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

.... Until the time we came back to get it to see tank tracks running up to where the shower used to be...

So, I bet you said; "gee, I guess those poor Marines needed it more than we did, I hope they enjoy their showers".
[:D]
Not in so many words...I said something to the effect of, "we gotta find us some more showers." But the sentimentality was there...[:D]
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

JWW

Post by JWW »

As for REFORGER, part of the exercise was always the air deployment of units from the US to Germany for a month or so.  They would arrive and draw pre-positioned equipment and then deploy for the exercise.  That was what my company was doing in REFORGER 84.  The US had some huge equipment storage sites in Germany at that time.

As to the question, no, I did not take part in REFORGER 85.   
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

They may be redeploying, but really its "Return of Forces to Germany".

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/R ... to+Germany

I read it, but I don't believe it. I suppose it is not impossible that "return" is correct, but if it is, then a whole lot of guy's misspoke for a very long time.

Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Discussion”