Newbie start up question

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Scotters1

Newbie start up question

Post by Scotters1 »

Forgive me if this is in the manual or somewhere else and I missed it, but is there a place that explains the set up for each scenario, and what the victory conditions are, how long the scenario will last, etc.? [&:] I watched the first couple of tutorials, and have skimmed parts of the manual, but I'm unclear about some of the scenarios. I'm a civil war buff (Yes I have FoF, and can't wait for the new patch) but I'm not an expert on the Napoleonic wars, so I don't always know the situations for each of the years. I understand that the 1820 scenario is ahistorical and balanced, and of course I know what happened in 1812 with the Russian invasion, but beyond that its guess work. (Too bad there is no war of 1812 scenario for the U.S.A., but I don't think you can squeeze one more thing into this monster of a game.) And even in the scenarios I understand, I don't know the exact time limit and victory conditions.

My second question is if I take France in the 1792 scenario, will Napoleon eventually take charge, and can I play the game all the way into 1815 and see if I can survive and change history?

Third, what difficulty level do you recommend for a person who has played FoF and wants a good fair challenge as France in 1792? (I will use the simplistic economy)

Finally, this game looks awesome, and after playing the awesome FoF I'm sure it will be. Thanks for making these great games, and the way you guys support your games.[:)]

Scotters1

RE: Newbie start up question

Post by Scotters1 »

Ok, I found the info on the scenarios when I hit the F1 key. (That is a really nice help menu) I still don't know where the victory conditions are, and the length of the scenario. (Does each scenario go until 1815?)
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

The little report at the beginning of each term states how many months (turns) are left and lets you know how much glory each country has and how much total glory one needs to accumulate to win. [:)] Hopefully that's a little help, I dunno a whole lot about the other stuff
Joram

Post by Joram »

Scotters, I can't find it in the manual either.  :)  Default victory is 1000 glory points and I do believe default length of time is different per scenario but unfortunately am not 100% sure.  You gain glory points by winning battles, forcing your enemy to surrender, holding territorial objectives and a couple other smaller ways.  So in a way it's up to you to decide how you want to win.

I can't for the life of me recall the time limits but if it helps I've not once run up against the limit. 

I should mention the "Path of Napoleon" requirements are quite different than the standard victory conditions.  In that you win by keeping peace with Russia, having a large fleet and controlling a whole host of territories that Napoleon at one time or another had or wanted.   While the game length is long, I know you can run up against the limit there because the victory conditions are quite challenging.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Not sure if this is what you are after, but to alter the GP or length of the game you can do that on the Set up (Local game) page, Max is 10,000 GP & 23 yrs  from memeory, 'Victory conditions' & 'Game lenght' respectively.

All the Best
Peter
Scotters1

RE: Newbie start up questions

Post by Scotters1 »

Guys, thanks for all of the answers and advice. Joram, you are right about the manual being unclear about how long a scenario is, but I'll have to check out gexmex's advice and see if that answers the question. (However, the manual and help screens are fantastic.) I figure that i will just make the length 23 years, since I don't want to worry about time running out.

My only remaining questions are:

If I take France in the 1792 scenario, will Napoleon eventually take charge, and can I play the game all the way into 1815 and see if I can survive and change history?
(I assume that the answer is yes!)

What difficulty level do you recommend for a person who has played FoF and wants a good fair challenge as France in 1792? (I will use the simplistic economy) Or do you recommend a different scenario? Now I'm thinking of taking France in the 1805 scenario, and going with the difficult level for both tactical combat and the strategic map. Would that be too easy?
terje439

RE: Newbie start up questions

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Scotters1976

a) If I take France in the 1792 scenario, will Napoleon eventually take charge,

b) and can I play the game all the way into 1815 and see if I can survive and change history?
(I assume that the answer is yes!)

c) What difficulty level do you recommend for a person who has played FoF and wants a good fair challenge as France in 1792? (I will use the simplistic economy) Or do you recommend a different scenario? Now I'm thinking of taking France in the 1805 scenario, and going with the difficult level for both tactical combat and the strategic map. Would that be too easy?
a) Nope, no Bonaparte will show up, you will get a few rounds of riots in your provinces at the start to simulate the revolts that led to the birth of the republic [:@]
b) Yes, you can change the length of the scenario before you start the game. 23 years is the most you get to choose.
c) Depends, will you play detailed battle and used to do so in FoF, there is no problem in upping the difficulty. Difficult sounds ok for a startup game IMHO.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”