Where are the Computer games?

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Krec

Where are the Computer games?

Post by Krec »

I went to the website and i have a question. Where are all the games for PCs? This series looks like it would be great for PCs , so where are the games? This one has been in development for a while but are there no others? I think they are really missing the boat here. While Table top wargames were great in there day , that day is over...i would think they would transfer the series to PC and really go for it.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

Barthheart

RE: Where are the Computer games?

Post by Barthheart »

While I don't agree with you that the day of boardgames is gone, I too am looking forward to this game.

Last I heard was HOS should be ready for sometime this summer.

There is still that undefinable quality that makes me still want to play boardgames - face to face, the feel of the pieces as you move them, the dice.... etc. And this series is very easy to get into/learn/teach and look of the components is second to none. There's a print and play demo on the website. Give it a try.[8D]

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: Krec
While Table top wargames were great in there day , that day is over...i would think they would transfer the series to PC and really go for it.
On what do you base this?

You need to go visit BoardGameGeek and ConsimWorld and tell the thousands of active members that their games have had their day. The response would be quite interesting! There's a thriving market and community for board wargames if you have a look around. [;)]

What Barthheart said!
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

memoir '44, Conflict of Heroes, Tide of Iron, Flames of War, Command and Colors, Battlelore, ASL etc........ nuff said
Owen

Post by Owen »

Actually I believe that these are the glory days of board wargames. I've just returned to the board game hobby after a couple decades playing exclusively computer games and I'm loving it. I bought a few games, found a local wargaming club and find that I enjoy playing a game that involves a real physical board and counters played against a real live face to face opponent. Computers are wonderful but sometimes I think it's easy to fall into the trap of funneling too much of life through a computer screen.

Modern board wargames are beautifully designed and exciting to play. Cruise on over to boardgamegeek and check out the top ranked wargames. You might be amazed.
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: Krec

While Table top wargames were great in there day , that day is over...i would think they would transfer the series to PC and really go for it.

Yes, I agree with you, they should "really go for it". They should be building beautiful PC war games without AI's. The blue prints are all there in board game boxes right now.

Until they do so, the days of board gaming are far from over. Very, very far indeed.

And whilst they keep trying to build PC war games with AI's those days will be lasting for ever.
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

Board wargames are fine as long as you have a lot of friends with lots of extra free time. But, for many of us older gamers that just isn't so anymore. We have families and have all sorts of events to do with our children and families. I never have the time I did when I was a teenager playing board wargames. Computer games give me that time. The save features give me that kind of time. I can play when I want and I always have something to play against although the computer ai's lately have been pretty pitiful. I like PBEM games using computer wargames as well. The computer is the best thing to come to wargaming imho and I certainly hope it is here forever and there are better quality ai's in the future.
While Table top wargames were great in there day , that day is over.

While I'm a big fan of computer wargames the day of the board wargamer is hardly over. In fact it's booming more than computer wargames because developers of board wargames can create and put them on the market a lot faster than a computer developer. Plus another fact is everyone doesn't play wargames on a computer. You might and I do, but, the vast majority doesn't. You need to goto one of these board gaming conventions and then you will see how board wargaming is still alive and well.

Board wargaming just has such a much larger selection of games than computer wargaming does. When I was subscribing to Strategy & Tactics I was getting a board (paper) wargame every two months. Let's see computer wargaming try to keep up with that.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Understand on the board games. But I enjoy them as well as the "Ole Computer games". Lock N' Load probley will not be out for some time-probley late this year. Have you tried HPS Squad battles - their not to bad.
ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Board wargames are fine as long as you have a lot of friends with lots of extra free time. But, for many of us older gamers that just isn't so anymore. We have families and have all sorts of events to do with our children and families. I never have the time I did when I was a teenager playing board wargames. Computer games give me that time. The save features give me that kind of time. I can play when I want and I always have something to play against although the computer ai's lately have been pretty pitiful. I like PBEM games using computer wargames as well. The computer is the best thing to come to wargaming imho and I certainly hope it is here forever and there are better quality ai's in the future.
While Table top wargames were great in there day , that day is over.

While I'm a big fan of computer wargames the day of the board wargamer is hardly over. In fact it's booming more than computer wargames because developers of board wargames can create and put them on the market a lot faster than a computer developer. Plus another fact is everyone doesn't play wargames on a computer. You might and I do, but, the vast majority doesn't. You need to goto one of these board gaming conventions and then you will see how board wargaming is still alive and well.

Board wargaming just has such a much larger selection of games than computer wargaming does. When I was subscribing to Strategy & Tactics I was getting a board (paper) wargame every two months. Let's see computer wargaming try to keep up with that.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Owen

Modern board wargames are beautifully designed and exciting to play. Cruise on over to boardgamegeek and check out the top ranked wargames. You might be amazed.

Agreed,

Take a look at the top ranked war games and the year of their release ......[;)]

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boa ... ct=wargame

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”