Off topic question, your fav movie scene?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Misconduct

Off topic question, your fav movie scene?

Post by Misconduct »

Had a friend ask me today what my fav movie scene was, and first came to mind was John Belushi as Captain Wild Bill Kelso (P-40) pilot from the movie 1941, General Silwell says something along the line of "That is by far the craziest SOB I ever saw, I wonder how many more we got up there just like him".

Sorry just thought I'd bring up some memories, 1941 has to be a classic comedy thats entirely under rated.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
bradfordkay

RE: Off topic question, your fav movie scene?

Post by bradfordkay »

From Tora, Tora, Tora:  "You want confirmation? There's your confirmation!" [:D]
fair winds,
Brad
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

How about this line from "To Have and to Have Not" -

Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart:  "You do know how to whistle, don't you?  You just put your lips together and blow."

(If you don't remember that line, may I respectfully suggest you do a quick You Tube search under Lauren Bacall)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Oddball in Kelly's Heroes...
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers."
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

From the movie MATRIX, When the Bird puts the gun to the Agent's head, and says 'dodge this'
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Oddball in Kelly's Heroes...
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers."

Kelly's Heroes has a REAL following on the Forum! [:D]

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I have to vote for the immortal lines of:

Rooster Cogburn:  I aim to kill you in one minute Ned or see you hanged at Judge Parker's convenience.  Which will it be?

Ned Pepper:  I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!

RC:  Fill your hands you Son-of-a-Bitch!

The man won his Oscar for that exact scene!  Got to love True Grit and the Duke.  Watch that scene probably every couple of months...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

Hm,, i like this question

-Raider of the lost ark: the scene with the horse and the truck; first time i saw it i was scotched to my seat !![X(]

-The Empire strike back: the snow spidder attack on the AT-AT: same comment, plus the feeling that the cause was lost for the rebels...

-Apocalypse Now: the ride of the valkyries with the chopper: absolutely mythologic !![&o]

-The good, the bad and the ugly:" there's two kind of people, those with a loaded gun, and those who dig. You dig!"

Much action scene, not much emotion, sorry
-Edit: Empire Strike Back
-Did Obi-Wan told you of your father ?
-He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
-No Luke. I AM...YOUR FATHER !!! [X(]
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

- I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?
- Hey....I gots to know!
...  click!

That's the best.  And I don't have to tell the name of the film.[:D]
ChezDaJez

Post by ChezDaJez »

My favorite is from the black and white movie, "The Bedford Incident." Richard Widmark plays Captain Finlander, CO of the USS Bedford.

Wally Cox plays the sonar operator.

James MacArthur (Danno from Hawaii 5-0) plays Ensign Ralston who is the OOD. Captain Finlander dislikes him intensely and rides him mercilessly for even trivial mistakes. The captain has just finished reaming Ralston a new one and Ralston is coming apart at the seams.

They have been tracking a Soviet diesel submarine near Greenland for several days and Capt Finlander wants to force it to the surface. They have just rammed it with a glancing blow as the sub snorkled and are now waiting for its reaction. The ship is at general quarters.

Sidney Poitier plays a reporter named Munson who is at direct odds with Finlander's overly aggressive moves and fears Finlander will start a war with his actions. They are on the bridge engaged in a heated argument.

My favorite lines are this exchange that follows:

Munson: "And what will you do, Captain, if he shoots?!"

Finlander: "If he fires one, I'll fire one!!!"

Ralston: "FIRE ONE!" and launches an ASROC at the sub.

The ASROC hits the sub and everybody is in disbelief for a few seconds then the sonar operator calls out, "Torpedoes inbound!!!"

The final scene shows a mushroom cloud forming over the ocean.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I'm an old-fashioned, sentimental kind of guy...

Near the beginning of Twelve O'clock High, Dean Jagger has just parked his bicycle, and is gazing off, looking at something off screen....Slowly, we are brought into another era, when the sounds of Pratt and Whitney engines start to slowly churn....and the grass starts to blow back from the exhaust of air, forced back by the props of planes in Jaggers' memories, opening the sequence of his time journey.This moment is then enhanced by the eerie, wafting voices of long-past crewmen, gently singing "Lost Sheep" in the background.

Local Yokel

Post by Local Yokel »

High on my list is the scene in 'Bad Day at Black Rock' where Spencer Tracy's one-armed character John McCreedy sorts out the bully Coley Trimble, played by Ernest Borgnine.

'Strangelove': so many scenes - where do you start?

'Mr Hulot's Holiday': The tow truck on the quayside takes up the slack in the cable...
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

The end scence from Schindler's list.  As it fades from black and white to color and you see the decendents of the Schindler Jews and as the survivors or thier children file by Oscar Schindler's grave accompied by the actor who played them to place a stone on the grave.

The opening and ending of Saving Private Ryan (the parts at the American Cementary) while Ryan sits at the grave marker and then fades into the Captain's face and then at the end as he breaks down and asks his wife if he's been worthy of the sacrifice of so many to save him, have I honored thier memory and service with how I  have led my life.

Ryan Opel
51st Highland Div

Post by 51st Highland Div »

Fave scene is from Gladiator where Maximus and Caesar are waiting to be taken up to the Coliseum..and brought up from below on to the field to fight to the death.The music and cinematography there are immense and make you feel as if your part of the crowd waiting to watch the spectacle...
https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Any Claude Rains scene in Cassablanca , because of dialogue like this:

"I've often speculated as to why you came to Casablanca. Did you abscond with the church funds? Run off with the Senator's wife? I'd like to think that you killed a man; it's the romantic in me."
~Casablanca
(when the police close down his cafe)
"How can you close me up? On what grounds?"
"I am shocked, shocked, to find out that gambling is going on here!"
(someone from the roulette wheel arrives) "Your winnings, sir."
"Oh, thank you, thank you very much."
~Casablanca
"What in heavens name brought you to Casablanca?"
"I came here for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

~Casablanca
"Monsieur Rick, what kind of man is Captain Renault?"
"Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so."
~Casablanca
"Rick, there are many exit visas sold in this cafe, but we know that you've never sold one. That is the reason we permit you to remain open."
"Oh? I thought it was because I let you win at roulette."
"That is another reason."
~Casablanca
ool

Post by ool »

Mine has to be when my, then brand new state of the art surround sound theatre, came online. Put in Gladiator and the opening scene where the Roman cavalry rides across the front of the waiting legions. It was so clear you could hear the fallen branches snapping under the horses hooves. Truly showed me I got my moneys worth with that purchase.[8D]

As for best line in a war picture? Twelve O Clock High. Gregory Peck's character goes up to the commanding generals bedroom to report on the status of his friends bomber group (918th). He hesitates to tell the general what he really thinks. So the general says," Frank I want the truth, with the bark on!" Love that line for some reason.[;)]

Best comedy war movie line? Pink Submarine. Tony Curtis plays a playboy naval officer in the Philipines assigned to Cary Grants sub after the initial Jap attack. He has no talent as a naval officer having been a upper brass ass kisser and carouser. However he turns out to be a world class scrounger. During a Jap air raid Cary Grant's character asks where is this scrounger? As the bombs are falling around the sub a crewman responds," He just left with the truck sir. He said in confusion there is profit!"[:D]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Okay, I admit it:  My first post (#3 or so) was a trap meant to entice CapMandrake into participating in this survey.

For great scenes (not just lines, as my first post suggested) in a movie, how about when "Boy" returns to his home in the Shenandoah Valley after being mistaken for a Confederate soldier and taken prisoner.  The remnant of his family, which has suffered immensely in the war, is gathered in church that morning.  The Boy walks into the church, the service suddenly halts as they see him, and then the congregation begins singing the Doxology ("Praise God from whom all blessings flow...") as the Boy hobbles up the aisle on his crutch to his father's side.

The movie is Shenandoah with Jimmy Stewart.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I'm an old-fashioned, sentimental kind of guy...

Near the beginning of Twelve O'clock High, Dean Jagger has just parked his bicycle, and is gazing off, looking at something off screen....Slowly, we are brought into another era, when the sounds of Pratt and Whitney engines start to slowly churn....and the grass starts to blow back from the exhaust of air, forced back by the props of planes in Jaggers' memories, opening the sequence of his time journey.This moment is then enhanced by the eerie, wafting voices of long-past crewmen, gently singing "Lost Sheep" in the background.

There are way too many scenes I love to just pick one, but one of my favs is similar. The scene in "We were Soldiers" where they are about to get on the slicks and they first start winding them up. I could close my eyes and listen to them Hueys starting for hours.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

The end of a very horrid movie called "A Boy and his Dog".  When the dog {via telepathy} tells Don Johnson that the girl was a good judge of character, even if she didn't have overly good taste.  Priceless.
EWGuttag

Post by EWGuttag »

The scene in Memphis Belle where the crew is in the jeep on the way to their plane, singing Amazing Grace (and the following scenes with the Amazing Grace soundtrack).
/Eric W. Guttag/

Return to “General Discussion”