after patch, seems like US vehicles received a gun boost

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!
sargexmy

after patch, seems like US vehicles received a gun boost

Post by sargexmy »

Hi,

Just installed the patch! and THANKS! fixed that dreaded empty American BG in my grand campaign.

However I started noticing M3 Stuarts repeatedly knocking out my Stug 3G and Panzer IV/70s from the front !! :(
Then I went to check out the in-game AT capability meter and looks like the 37mm gun on the stuart is as strong as the Panzer 4's 7.5cm/L48!
Also the 76mm gun from Sherman 76s looks to be stronger than the Panthers!
the 90mm gun on the M36 also looks to be stronger than the 8.8cm L71 on the Tiger 2.

Now these are what I have observed from the in-game AT meter thing and these units are all "average" since I just start a battle with these units to see their ratings.

Is this a mistake within the patch? I really think the 37mm gun is way to strong.

Having played Combat Mission for a while, I think their gun penetration values are pretty accurate, and that the stuart does not knock out stugs frontally...

Thanks
Andrew Williams

RE: after patch, seems like US vehicles received a gun boost

Post by Andrew Williams »

The stuarts 37mm is not as powerful as the 75mm L/48

The 76mm is not as powerful as the L/70

The 90mm is not as powerful as the 88.

The Stuarts gun would have a very slight chance of penetrating a StugIII at under 50metres from a frontal shot.
ImageImage
Pzt_Serk

Post by Pzt_Serk »

I've just checked it out and the M36's 90mm is definetly less powerfull thant the Tiger II's 88. Personnaly I really like the new penetration data. As US, I would never engage german Panthers and Tiger II at long range (I would never engage a Tiger II with tanks anyway but that's another story [;)]) but at close range Sherman 76 and other tank destroyers can engage and hurt them.

Don't forget that an immobilized tank has 60% chance being written off so you don't need to finish them off for the kill if it represent a danger of taking additional losses.

I've also seen many kill on one shot from both sides and I like how it means getting the first shot gives a huge advantage.

Cheers,

sargexmy

Post by sargexmy »

Okay, I guess i was just bewildered by the fact these M5 stuarts are taking out my Stug 3G and Jagdpanzer 4/70s head on at medium distances. (right at the start of a battle)
I must be doing something wrong?
DukeOfLight

Post by DukeOfLight »

Hi

This is very good, i remembered when i was playing with americans as armour and meet german armour i use only infantri because of the poor combat effectivnes of the americans tanks. I don't know if this is historicly accurate but for certain improves the gameplay.

best regards
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

It is accurate.
The British Airborne troops in Arnheim knocked out APCs and AFVs using their PIAT anti-tank weapons. Early in the battle, the Brits held one end of the bridge (the city side) and vital parts of the city, but, while closing the pocket around the city, the Germans still tried to cross the bridge with armored vehicles. There was one incident where they tried to rush a whole column of APCs and AFVs across the bridge, but only one vehicle made it to the other side. These vehicles were destroyed either by mines, mortar fire or PIAT fire.

So even back then, infantry (with the right equipment) could be pretty effective, especially in urban areas, where inf units could fire from concealed positions (PIATs had no backblast and created little smoke).
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

They had 6 pounders near the bridge too.
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Oh, I didn't know that, I thought it was just the 2nd Bn less their AT unit. Looks like the 2nd Bn managed to get four 6-pounders to the bridge area, where two covered the bridge itself and the other two the western approaches, according to this account:

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/war_2ndBatt.htm .
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Return to “Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein”