Carrier Force - Matrix Games

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Kingfisher

RE: hello?

Post by Kingfisher »

It shows up in the task force screen just to the right of the ship's speed column.
"splendid was their tactic of diving upon our force from the direction of the sun, taking advantage of intermittent clouds"

-Captain Takahisa Amagai, KAGA, June 4th 1942
decaro

Post by decaro »

Tnx; there must also be something in the manual.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Tnx; there must also be something in the manual.

8.17 Operation Points

Operation Points reflect the time spent on refueling, replenishing ammo, and loading and unloading of cargo. These actions reduce the movement of a TF during a Resolution Phase ....

It looks like these points affect time spent loading/unloading and not whether loading occurs or not.
Anyway, here's the rest of the explantion.

During an Orders Phase, if a TF refuels or is ordered to load troops, the TF Information Screen will reflect the amount of time already used in Operation Points. Every TF has 1000 Operation Points in each 12 hour Resolution Phase. Thus, if a TF refuels and the display shows a ship has used 300 Operation Points, 30% of the 12 hours (300/1000) has been expended. This means the Task Forces speed in hexes will be reduced by 30% for the first 12 hour Resolution Phase resolved after exiting the Orders Phase. If a ship has any ammo replenished, it will use 1000 Operation Points. Ships that use 1000 Op points will still be allowed to move a minimum of 1 hex in the phase.
Chad Harrison

RE: Carrier Force - Matrix Games

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Seriously, the impression I got from Justin's post was that CF will be much more than a "patch" to UV. To me, this is much better than just "patching" UV and I look forward to it. As I know I will need something lighter than WITP-AE which when released may fry my mind...[8D][8D][8D]

CF is *NOT* a patch to UV. Its different/updated/changed in so, so many ways. Including, but not limited too, new art, new map, new 15 minute mode (thats the biggie!), new aircraft, new features and so on. But, since it is built onto the UV code, it will correct/modify some (all?) of the outstanding features from UV.

When I said that it is the closest thing to a patch UV will see, I meant that I didnt think any patches were forthcoming for UV and any outstanding issues would be addressed in CF, which is a separate game.

But given Mike's recent posts, and my lack of official knowledge as a beta tester, UV very well might see a patch.
Mike Wood

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

Yup. It might. Final word on that would be above my paygrade, however.

Bye...

Michael Wood
ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
But given Mike's recent posts, and my lack of official knowledge as a beta tester, UV very well might see a patch.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Seriously, the impression I got from Justin's post was that CF will be much more than a "patch" to UV. To me, this is much better than just "patching" UV and I look forward to it. As I know I will need something lighter than WITP-AE which when released may fry my mind...[8D][8D][8D]

CF is *NOT* a patch to UV. Its different/updated/changed in so, so many ways. Including, but not limited too, new art, new map, new 15 minute mode (thats the biggie!), new aircraft, new features and so on. But, since it is built onto the UV code, it will correct/modify some (all?) of the outstanding features from UV.

When I said that it is the closest thing to a patch UV will see, I meant that I didnt think any patches were forthcoming for UV and any outstanding issues would be addressed in CF, which is a separate game.

Chad,

Perhaps my phrasing was poor and you misunderstood what I meant.

I know CF is not a patch for UV, and THAT is why I am looking forward to CF so much.

Another patch for UV is fine I would think. Unless fixing bugs leads down a never ending road of design changes, which in turn leads to more bugs and complaints.

Flipper
decaro

Post by decaro »

CF is *NOT* a patch to UV. Its different/updated/changed in so, so many ways. Including, but not limited too, new art, new map, new 15 minute mode (thats the biggie!), new aircraft, new features and so on. But, since it is built onto the UV code, it will correct/modify some (all?) of the outstanding features from UV ...

That's what I'm waiting for; for me, CF is the equivalent of WitP's AE.

I understood that the "15 min" feature was an option, and CF could be played in just the "old" UV mode.
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I understood that the "15 min" feature was an option, and CF could be played in just the "old" UV mode.

In my testing, I have not seen an option to do so. This may exist in the code, but is not implemented yet. Regardless, I have not seen it.

That's what I'm waiting for; for me, CF is the equivalent of WitP's AE.

And that is a spot on assessment. Its still the core game, and the core gameplay, but you get *tons* of improvements and new options. The one major difference between AE and CF though is CF adds a significant new gameplay features (15 minute gameplay, flight decks, airfield control and so on) that were not possible in UV.

Dont get me wrong, AE is going to be ground breaking, and I will be first in line to get it. But, much like UV and WitP, CF and AE are different in so many ways and both have unique appeals, scope and strengths. Anyone who has played both UV and WitP knows exactly what I am talking about. Some prefer UV over WitP, others prefer WitP over UV. Thats the beauty of personal prefence [:)]

Obviously the focus for the 15 minute gameplay mode is the air combat, but dont forget that your surface combats are happening within the 15 minute rounds also . . . [:D]
Mike Wood

Post by Mike Wood »

There is much you have not seen, grasshopper.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
In my testing, I have not seen an option to do so. This may exist in the code, but is not implemented yet. Regardless, I have not seen it.

xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Another good improvement would be better squadron management - whether or not you can receive trained or untrained replacement pilots (which I believe exists in WIP), & also if you can switch the 'upgrade to new planes' on or off (which also may well exist in WIP).
Both of these features would certainly enhance UV!
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

There is much you have not seen, grasshopper.

Looking forward to seeing [:D]
bink

Post by bink »

I would like to add my expression of strong interest in seeing Carrier Force released as soon as practically possible (which means maybe adding some development resources).

I have particularly enjoyed naval combat games (going back to Computer Bismarck and including games such as Carriers At War). Since I first heard about Carrier Force, I have been eagerly awaiting it's release.

Maybe 2x3 games (i.e. Joel Billings) and the CF developers can come to some sort of terms to add development resources??
Mike Wood

Post by Mike Wood »

Huh?
ORIGINAL: bink
...Maybe 2x3 games (i.e. Joel Billings) and the CF developers can come to some sort of terms to add development resources??
bink

Post by bink »

Well, it sounds like the development of CF is being sub-contracted, judging by the lack of involvement of the 2 by 3 principals, and that CF is being developed on a part-time basis.

I am suggesting that whatever financial arrangement is in place for the CF development team, it be re-worked to commit greater resources to the effort.

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Huh?
ORIGINAL: bink
...Maybe 2x3 games (i.e. Joel Billings) and the CF developers can come to some sort of terms to add development resources??
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

CF was started when Gary read a book on the battle of Midway and his interest in carrier combat was re-ignited. He did a bunch of coding to get the game system up and running in the UV environment, and at some point Mike came in as he had on UV and WitP. Unlike those games however, we knew that Gary would have to move on to other projects and the intention was to give Mike the opportunity to take the project and run with it to the end. Justin came in as well after his success with WPO. I knew I wouldn't have the time to work on CF since our priorities at the time were finishing War Between the States and then moving back on to our Russian Front game, which had been put off several times since 2000. As for adding resources, if you know a good game programmer that wants to work for next to nothing because he loves wargames and wants to work on a carrier game, please have him contact me. We could not do what we're doing now if it wasn't for some people that are willing to get involved for next to nothing because they love the products they are working on. The person that is continuing development and patches on our A World Divided game was originally a tester who loved the game so much he started working on mods and eventually became our "official" programmer for the after release work. We've had many testers help us out here and there, with art, data work, scenarios and programming. Unfortunately, the programming is always the critical path item. Finding programmers that can realistically help out is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Gary and I are committed to getting our Russian Front game done as our first priority. We had to put it off for 8 years, and we're not going to do that again. So for now, it's up to Mike and Justin to see if they can pull together CF. I think they can do it, but like many people in this business, they have other things going on in their lives other than just working on CF (job/school wise). So it's not easy and I'm certainly not promising anything. If you know of someone that's done scenario database work that's interested in working on CF, you might have them contact Justin as he might be able to use the help. If you are a programmer (a good/experience one) and want to work on CF, contact Justin or Mike. That's probably about all I can say as far as adding resources to the project.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
bink

Post by bink »

Joel,

Thanks for the explanation. I was a big fan of the early SSI games, and still have Computer Bismarck and Computer Ambush (among others).

I would love to see another operational naval game (like CB) and tactical combat sim (like CA). Computer Ambush is still one of my favorite games from a gameplay perspective.

Thanks,

Bink
Ike99

Post by Ike99 »

Joe Billings Yes, Mike Wood and Justin Prince both had real life interfere with their work on CF, so it's not going to happen.
¨If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.¨ Che Guevara

The more I know people, the more I like my dog.

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”