Love your games.... but...

Share your game mods and discuss modding with other players here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

DasTactic

RE: COG:EE Tahoma-style

Post by DasTactic »

Tahoma does it for me too. [:)]

If you need a place to distribute zip files you could try one of the file sharing sites such as RapidShare and just post the link in the forum.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Eric,

E-mail it to me and I'll post it up.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Texashawk

Post by Texashawk »

Eric,

Thank you so much. That Tahoma font looks wonderful. How utterly awesome that somebody posts a request for a fundamental visual issue of the game that is more or less a personal preference, and a day later you are planning to issue a mod for it. That, folks, is service, and that is freakin' awesome. WCS has a customer for life now.

I know this may be asking a bit much (maybe not since the engine is similar) but could a similar fix be created for FOF?? [&o]

Thanks so much!!!!!

Steve
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Maulet

Post by Maulet »

how can I change the font???
Is it easy?
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: mbatch729
Just finished the series. Excellent read, highly recommended, and WAY off topic.

I commend your fine taste in literature. I'm just starting "The Hundred Days," and I've deliberately slowed my pace of reading to just a few pages a day -- trying to make it last. [:)]
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

ericbabe:

Don't slow your reading pace. Just finish the series and start over again.

I am reading the series for the second time. I do admit that slowing down somewhat allows one to savor the subtle humor and dialogue. Patrick O'Brian could write.
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

As to font, I think the existing is much more appropriate for the period.
Texashawk

Post by Texashawk »

Question: Where will these font packs be located to download?
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

I will gladly host the file. It will be a direct link for download.... Just give me a ping [:)]
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Tahoma is less historical-moody, but much more legible, I buy it.
Where's the file ? WCS doesn't have even a tiny 10KB storage somewhere on the Web, or ability to rename a zip to .jpg and upload here [:D] ?? C'mon ...[:'(]
PDF
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

I changed the default game font to Arial. Here's the before and after shot. I've uploaded the file and instructions on how to change the font here: http://www.foreveryaction.com/phpbb3/vi ... p?f=21&t=9

I didn't change to other fonts yet but it's easy enough to do. Any font can be used.

Attachments
fonttest.jpg
fonttest.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 183 times
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Hey it also made Hapshire a North African City in Algiers.  Wow!

[:D]

Seriously, are all the values really the same for these two provinces?
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

Well, the screenshots are from the 1820 Balanced scenario, so probably, yes?! [8D]
pixelpusher

RE: Love your games.... but...

Post by pixelpusher »

ORIGINAL: Das123

I'm a designer by profession and the serif vs sans-serif legibility argument is marginally true of 'printed' rendition of type, but not of projected or pixelated rendering. Essentially serif fonts are only clear in a screen environment if they are anti-aliased, otherwise sans serif is much much safer to render and much more legible. Besides, the original research done on type legibility was from decades ago

I just wanted to agree with this... Both sans-serif and serif fonts can be readable in different situation: Sans serif are generally accepted as being better for on screen (ie computer), whereas serif fonts are generally more readable in print, such as your newspaper, or books.

The main problem is anti-aliasing: In many computer apps, (including CoG:EE) the fonts aren't anti-aliased. Unless you're actually smoothing out all the little pointy serifs (such as you do in print), they just make the text more visually distracting. Also, the font, Times New Roman (TNR) that we use in game has a little bit greater difference between caps and lower case letters. Thus, the main body text is a couple pixels smaller than, say, Tahoma.

That said, serif vs sans serif is just one of those Coke v. Pepsi issues... some people feel really strongly one way or the other. So the best thing is to allow people to switch, should they want to.

BTW: There is a great movie out called 'Helvetica' which talks about helvetica.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

maybe we should just put in the Font that the Nations of the time used, so each Nation would have there own Font/Style

Having worked with primary sources from the period, I can assure you that you don't want period type.
Jim Cobb
Mr. Z

Post by Mr. Z »

Mayhaps we could Pofsibly alfo ufe the Ftylistick MANNERISMS of the Period as well, tho many may FIND that they be fomewhat ARBITRARY and PUZZLING, particklularly in terms of CAPITALIZATION.

[:)]
RtG

Post by RtG »

ORIGINAL: bbmike

I changed the default game font to Arial. Here's the before and after shot. I've uploaded the file and instructions on how to change the font here: http://www.foreveryaction.com/phpbb3/vi ... p?f=21&t=9

I didn't change to other fonts yet but it's easy enough to do. Any font can be used.

Could you explain how to do it bbmike if I wanted to use Tahoma?
lancer

Post by lancer »

Goodaye,

I don't own CoG (EE) but I'm giving it serious consideration.

I'd have to agree with the orginal poster here and say that the Times Roman font is a big downer for me. I realise that this is a very subjective judgement and - in the big picture of things - a trifling matter.

But ...

Perusing all the screenshots I can see it's a beautifully put together game with great aesthetics. But that font really bugs me. I know it's a minor matter and shouldn't affect my decision but it does.

The Tahoma, on the other hand, looks great.

Please don't take this as a "Fix it or I won't buy your game" post as it's not. All things considered I'll probably purchase once the patch is out but I really do have a visceral reaction to the current font.

Cheers,

Lancer
lancer

Post by lancer »

Ah-huh!

I see that you're one step ahead of me.

Excellent.

Cheers,

Lancer
Terl

Post by Terl »

Thanks bbmike!  That looks much, much better. 

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”