Company of Heroes click fest

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

Company of Heroes click fest

Post by GaryChildress »

Company of Heroes has to be one of the most difficult games I've ever played (the demo at least). I thought I would give it a try to see if I wanted to buy it or not. Even when I have it set for "Easy" I get creamed by the AI. There's just too much going on at any given moment on the map to keep track of all the combat and units involved. So I end up getting creamed every time. The game is like a click fest from what I've seen. I prefer Codename Panzers much better. At least there's some strategy involved in Codename Panzers. CoH is just too fast paced. I can't play it.

What are others' opinions of the game? Is the whole game as impossible to play as the demo? [:(]
sabre1

RE: Company of Heroes click fest

Post by sabre1 »

Pretty funny Gary,

I picked up COH Gold, but I hear the upgrade/patches are a nightmare.  I may just let this one sit on the shelf unopened. 

I am having a blast with RGW (Russo German War), ordered SAS (Supremacy at Sea by NWS), since I hear the most recent patches have corrected the major problems.  COG:EE is on my radar along with Battle for the Bulge.  It's a great time for wargames.

Don't laugh, but I still haven't tried WITP.  It's on my radar too, and I will look at it once AE comes out.  I am definitely going to pick up Battle of Britian, and Bombing the Reich...[:D]

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

My take on company of heroes:
-The AI on Easy and Normal are really easy to beat once you get the hang of the game.(I mean come on, we all get creamed when we start a new game.)

-Yes, theres quite a bit to mange.Since tanks have to be watch not to get hit in the rear armor, you can find yourself micromanging a tank engagment disreguarding anything else.

-Overall its a great game, I would try using hot keys and setting you base rally points on the front.Also, you dont have to go to your base to build stuff from your bases, there are bottons on top the right panel that selects your bases and you can easily build you troops while keeping your eyes on the front.

-Upgrades ARE a nightmare.There are like 5-6 patches over 100-200 Mb each!I wouldnt really go online anyway, as the Commonwealth faction is way too overpowered and impossible to beat on a Bridge/Chokepoint map.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Looks fantastic though, doesn't it?

There is a command you can enter into the command console that dropped the gamespeed by your specified amount...I'll see if I can find it for you...it made the game MUCH more manageable.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Here is the link to some cheats...the one you are interested in is the setsimrate
Alba gu' brath
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I didn't find CoH too bad, to be honest, considering the whole genre essentially consists of click-fests. World in Conflict is much more 'fast paced'; they are the only two I've played recently.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks for the link Judgedredd! I tried the two campaign games in the demo and they seem to be a little easier on the face of it. I may end up getting the game if I can find it cheap. Skirmish mode is just impossible, though. I've tried just about everything I can think of and get annihilated every time.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

clickfest, yes. However, I consider it the best RTS out there, not that that is saying much. It does take a lot of practice and patience (and reflexes/speed). For an RTS it actually does have a tactical flair. That said, much of it was lost with the introduction of Opposing Fronts. IMO the game was much better when it was first released. As with any other RTS I just can't click fast enough to be able to compete... another example is Sins of a Solar Empire. It shows "User Actions" at the end of the game, which I believe is smiliar to Actions Per Minute (except the total maybe). It usually looks like this in my games:

Player 1: 326451311
Player 2: 564115658
Player 3: 454545425
(me)    : 345

[:D]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I downloaded the demo for CoH Opposing Fronts, hoping that it would be better. The demo has no skirmish game so I couldn't try that out. There are two games from the main campaign in the demo. I played both of them and the expanded tutorial. It's kind of funny. The tutorial goes into all this detail of how to use different unit abilities and stuff and goes over some new aspects to the game, however, when you play the campaign games they are basically "gather your forces and run at the enemy before he takes a position." There is no time to use any abilities or special traits. All you do is hot key all your units and then run them around the map to defend or capture locations which have pointers set on them. I really have to wonder what the point of all the special abilities and stuff are. I didn't even use any of them, not a one. Just gather my forces and charge from one spot to another. A very bad demo I think.

Funny thing is in the skirmish game in the first demo, even when I had it set to easy the AI was very aggressive and didn't give me much time to use many of the special abilities either. Basically it was a matter of build units and charge them around the map to counter the enemy. No time to throw grenades or capture fallen weapons and stuff like that. What a waste. From what I can tell CoH is a waste of strategic and tactical elements. There just aren't a lot of opportunities to utilize any of the fancy gadgets.

I still purchased the game though from Amazon. The price was decent and maybe I'll get a few hours of enjoyment out of the game before it gets old. [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I think they're both quite good games actually. Sure, they're clickfests, but they're RTS's, they have to be.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I think they're both quite good games actually. Sure, they're clickfests, but they're RTS's, they have to be.

A lot of RTS are click fests but there are some games which manage to get around it. Codename Panzers could be face paced at moments but it also gave you breathers inbetween action to deploy mines or set up a defensive perimeter and stuff like that. It made a lot of use of trigger events. Also there were games in the Codename Panzers campaign where you could deploy your forces at leisure against concentrations of enemy forces which wouldn't attack unless attacked. In some instances Codename Panzers could be like a puzzle game where you have to figure out just what resources to use to accomplish a goal. But I guess once you introduce on map resource gathering which CoH does, then things fall into the familiar old RTS mould. Spam units and throw them at the enemy as fast as you can.

Like I say I went ahead and bought the game thinking I may get a few hours of enjoyment out of it but I'm still rather disappointed that there isn't more opportunity to utilize some of the fancy toys in it. [:(]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I guess overall CoH isn't a "bad" game. It just doesn't seem to live up to the potential I think it has with all the fancy gadgets and toys to play around with. There just doesn't seem to be time to utilize or fool around with them. Maybe the full game is different but that's the impression I get from the demo. It has a lot of potential but then falls short due to the fast pace of the game. Overall I would like to see more opportunity to use grenades or anti-tank weapons or "secure" resource locations so you can get more resource out of them. But there just isn't time in the demo to do that stuff. Crank out units and throw them at the enemy is about all there is time for. [:(]
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Company of Heroes has to be one of the most difficult games I've ever played (the demo at least). I thought I would give it a try to see if I wanted to buy it or not. Even when I have it set for "Easy" I get creamed by the AI. There's just too much going on at any given moment on the map to keep track of all the combat and units involved. So I end up getting creamed every time. The game is like a click fest from what I've seen. I prefer Codename Panzers much better. At least there's some strategy involved in Codename Panzers. CoH is just too fast paced. I can't play it.

What are others' opinions of the game? Is the whole game as impossible to play as the demo? [:(]

I have just the opposite experience w/these games; I have the entire CoH collection, and have enjoyed it immensely, but I didn't really care for CP.

Isn't CoH pauseable real-time? Also, you can control your units from their shield icons, all from the same screen w/o hunting all over the map for them.

And if you don't controlling too many units, then just don't make them; you control unit production thru building barracks and other buildings.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I'll have to try Judgedredd's game play slowing command or something. I just feel overwhelmed most of the time. Not my style of game play. I know some people enjoy the adrenaline of frenzied play but I'm more of a defensive style player. I like to be able to sit back and watch my units do some fighting. The graphics in CoH ARE very nice but it's just too fast paced for me to sit back and enjoy any of them. As far as producing units, I don't know how you could win without keeping up the unit production pace. The AI is constantly throwing stuff at you and I seem to lose a lot of units. Another frustration is that I can never seem to earn enough resource points fast enough to keep up with the loses my units are taking.

I like to build good defenses and work from there but I have found that defenses don't last in the game. No sooner do I construct a MG pit before an enemy armored car shows up and blows it up. By the time I get an AT gun built and moved to the location it's too late, enemy infantry are swarming over it and blow up my AT gun before I get a chance to have a single shot at the armored car. The key to the game seems to be to try to control lots of resource locations. However, the more resource locations I try to control, the more spread out my forces are and the easier they get shot to pieces.

Arrrg! Just too frustrating for me. I like a little more leisurely style of game play. Granted some stressful moments are fun but getting creamed repeatedly on "Easy" mode just isn't much fun for me.

Granted most of the problems I'm having are with the skirmish mode. I tried a few campaign scenarios and they are a little more sane. But I like playing skirmishes and that takes a lot of fun out of the game for me.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

That sums up the game for me. Why can't we have COH graphics with Panzer Command Kharkov game play [&:]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

That sums up the game for me. Why can't we have COH graphics with Panzer Command Kharkov game play [&:]
oh yes indeed. Lovely!
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Hold on...don't we already have that (almost) in Theatre of War?
Alba gu' brath
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I finally won a skirmish game! I had to play as Germans though (Americans seem horribly outgunned sometimes) and it was one mad, insane, frenzied dash to the finish. Actually the game didn't take very long to fight. Looking back I can not say it was incredibly fun. Just hectic. No time to sit back and enjoy the beautiful graphics much. The only way to win so far seems to be to just gobble up territory quick and don't look back for a minute! Never had a second to use a single special unit ability nor did I use any of the special "command strategies". Just threw everything I had as fast as I could get hold of it. [X(]

Overall not much fun for me. Didn't have time to have fun. [:(]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

I dont see how you dont have time to use unit abilities.When I play I use EVERYTHING.I dont know but I'm able to win while still using special ablities.Special abilities are the key to this game.For example using grenades.....these babies can end a long firefight quick if used right.[:D]

And like I said before, we all get creamed when we start a new game.I'm still being creamed by normal AI in Advance tactics:WWII. [;)]
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I dont see how you dont have time to use unit abilities.When I play I use EVERYTHING.I dont know but I'm able to win while still using special ablities.Special abilities are the key to this game.For example using grenades.....these babies can end a long firefight quick if used right.[:D]

And like I said before, we all get creamed when we start a new game.I'm still being creamed by normal AI in Advance tactics:WWII. [;)]

Maybe I just need to slow the game down or something.

Return to “General Discussion”