Diplomacy

Legion is now available on iPad!
In Slitherine Strategies' Legion Gold, Gates of Troy and Spartan and Chariots of War (re-releases), you will lead your nation to victory in the ancient world’s greatest battles. Control a vast empire and fight epic battles on 3D battlefields. Historical heroes to come to your aid it will take strategy to build your civilization and conquer your enemies. Gates of Troy and Spartan are fully compatible and owners of both titles can play the full set of scenarios with the Gates of Troy engine.
lordhoff

Diplomacy

Post by lordhoff »

It is easy to understand the advantage of some of the lower level diplomatic options such as "flattery" and "merchants" to lessen the chances of attack from a second front but what exactly does some of the others do?

I can apparently already see all troop movements so I see no advantage to spending silver on that. Why provoke an enemy (is it better PR to get them to attack you?)? I see "required for alliance" points needed but how far up the technology ladder does one have to go to get an alliance? What does an alliance do (do you get partial control of another nations field armies until such time as they get mad at you?)?

I know, I know, I can try it and find out but I'm one of those who likes to plan things and a long game can become disappointing if a major expense leads to naught.

UNRELATED: the game is several years old so I doubt this but I have a foggy memory of a post saying player control of naval battles was in the making (true/false?)?

ALSO UNRELATED: I see there are late republic Roman units in the manual but a scan of scenarios doesn't reveal any Romans: are they similar to the "Persians Arrive" where there is only AI control?
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
anarchyintheuk

RE: Diplomacy

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Scattershooting:

They can do anything from destroy/weaken military units, deplete the city-state's treasury to provoking an outright revolt. If you're prepared, you can then swoop in an take the city while it is in control of the peasants.

For political reasons, it is better to be attacked than to attack. Don't think alliance options have to do w/ technology (although it may require one of the embassy type buildings). I think it has to do with the level of the ambassador. Higher the level, the more the options allowed. He improves through time and successful missions.

Any rumors about player control of naval battles were player inspired. [;)]

Romans appear in the grand campaign scenarios like the Persians. It may have been a mod, more likely a particular campaign, but I do remember playing as Persian. Don't think I ever tried the Romans.
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

Hey, thanks. One does have to build embassies thru "gold" to get to the more advanced options. Many of my games were lengthy and usually the diplomats have five stars by the end but the same options (I think they are just better at whatever options they try on the list). So far, I've only once got past the second level of "gold" to build a school or above.

I've read and reread the diplomacy section of the manual but I see no way to form an alliance even though there is a "needed for alliance" score on the diplomacy page. I wonder if it is automatic? In one game, the Persians turned green and the game lasted so long that they conquered everyone but me. They just set there for decades while I slowly bought enough iron to meet the scenario victory conditions (Athens didn't do too well against whole areas filled with Persian armies [:D] ).

Still wonder if there is any point in finding enemy troop movement since all is seen anyway. Is there a way to turn this feature off so intel on other nations' movements are limited? Perhaps something I did at set up that I no longer see a way to get to (my memory isn't what it used to be).

If it isn't a mod, I'll eventually stumble onto the playing the Persians thing. That will be enlightening to see how they get so many units so fast. When, say, Darius sends re-enforcements, I haven't noticed more then three level five armies showing up along the coast.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

You can use 'vassalization' if you're higher than the alliance number (and have a lot of cash). The positive is that you take control of the vassal's cities and don't conquer them individually. The negatives are if a vassalized city is retaken you lose control of all vassalized cities, the cities may not be particularly built up or profitable, you may end up w/ hostile neighbors, etc.

When you play the Persians, you're responsible for your own reinforcements. Darius doesn't send you any.

It's probably been a year since I played the game, now I want to start again. [:D]
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

When you play the Persians, you're responsible for your own reinforcements. Darius doesn't send you any.

Well, that's the last time I send him any campaign contributions! [:D]
You can use 'vassalization' if you're higher than the alliance number (and have a lot of cash). The positive is that you take control of the vassal's cities and don't conquer them individually. The negatives are if a vassalized city is retaken you lose control of all vassalized cities, the cities may not be particularly built up or profitable, you may end up w/ hostile neighbors, etc.

I take it any existing armies disappear (from the vassilized city-state) when they become one?
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Yup, the garrisons in the city remain however.
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

Regarding Romans and Persians... I seem to recall that, in the scenario selection screen, there was some way or another to randomize the culture of each faction. That way, any faction could wind up being Persian or Roman, and you could play them.
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

OK; thought I'd try the diplomatic approach. I have more then enough cities but need three that my "deep friend" has. My diplomat with them is five stars and I have a league HQ. So how and heck can I get control of their nation without doing the attack thing (I have a huge army ready to roll, but that is old hat). I've negotiated a nine month peace; doesn't appear to be a way to get them to become my vassal?

Return to “Legion Gold, Gates of Troy, Spartan & Chariots of War”