Is there a Campaign Game?

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Wacht am Rhein remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign including a new strategic map with 64 gorgeous hand-drawn tactical maps, over 70 scenarios, tons of new interface and unit graphics, countless engine improvements, and much more!
Lanconic

Is there a Campaign Game?

Post by Lanconic »

Is there one cohesive campaign game, or is it all a bunch of scenario?
The way of all flesh
Tejszd

RE: Is there a Campaign Game?

Post by Tejszd »

There is a full campaign covering the battle of the bulge.

Here is a link to a thread showing the strategic map and the individual map areas you fight over.

tm.asp?m=2041144

kwverdon

Post by kwverdon »

Do please be aware that the campaign game is currently unplayable as the Alies right now between the AI loosing tracks and more importantly the empty battlegroup bug. These items are rumored to be fixed in a patch if Matrix ever gets around to releasing it. I'd wait till it comes out before buying the game.
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I think that statement is unjustified in the extreme.

ImageImage
kwverdon

Post by kwverdon »

Well its certainly been true for me.  The German tanks being disabled by loosing their tracks going cross country was the first problem. The first campaign i started was seemingly way to easy in some points.  I thought I was just getting lucky so I started over and paid more attention.   The same thing was happening.  I hunker down and wait for the German Armor to appear and overun me and nothing happened.  In one battle 5 out of 6 Panthers were disabled before ever getting into combat.  Rather takes the fun out of it.  I started a third campaign thinking I could use a modded file to fix the Track problem when I hit the empty battlegroup bug.  At that point it went on the shelf.  I was not about to start a 4th campain knowing that it could end at any turn due to the empty battlegroup bug.  I purchased the game to play an Allied Campaign 3 months ago and I'm still waiting to be able to do it.  You have been promising a fix for the battlegroup bug would be available "soon" since Dec 23rd.  You finally got it completed only to have Matrix drop the ball on getting it deployed.   It may or not make it out next week.  Anyone purchasing the program has a right to know that the Allied Campaign is bugged. 
TheReal_Pak40

Post by TheReal_Pak40 »

The same thing was happening. I hunker down and wait for the German Armor to appear and overun me and nothing happened. In one battle 5 out of 6 Panthers were disabled before ever getting into combat.

I agree with this.
I have been playing as the Germans so I haven't taken the defensive so much, but the few times that I have been on the defensive end the AI was woefully lethargic. It will attack for the first five minutes at the most and then just sit. It's not even trying to be cautious, it just plain stops attacking. The player is forced to wait out the rest of the battle until the time runs out.

Also, I agree about the fragility of the Panthers. Most Panthers are either immobilized or get damaged guns within a couple of hits. If this was even remotely historically accurate then the allies would have had a 1:2 kill ratio rather than the 1:5 that is mentioned so much in history books.
ORIGINAL: kwverdon
I purchased the game to play an Allied Campaign 3 months ago and I'm still waiting to be able to do it. You have been promising a fix for the battlegroup bug would be available "soon" since Dec 23rd. You finally got it completed only to have Matrix drop the ball on getting it deployed. It may or not make it out next week. Anyone purchasing the program has a right to know that the Allied Campaign is bugged.

While I think the campaign is perfectly playable as the Germans, I can see why he's so angry. It is extremely frustrating to invest the time and effort into a campaign only to run into a bug that ruins it. The battlegroup bug fix should have been released a long time ago and everything else fixed in a subsequent patch.
Svend Karlson

Post by Svend Karlson »

ORIGINAL: kwverdon
Well its certainly been true for me.  The German tanks being disabled by loosing their tracks going cross country was the first problem. The first campaign i started was seemingly way to easy in some points.  I thought I was just getting lucky so I started over and paid more attention.   The same thing was happening.  I hunker down and wait for the German Armor to appear and overun me and nothing happened.  In one battle 5 out of 6 Panthers were disabled before ever getting into combat. 

I definitely found the track-throwing a serious problem, whilst playing as the Germans in the Grand Campaign against the perfidious Allies. However, it is a quite easily solvable problem too.

What one needs to do, is edit the column in the elements.txt file that determines the chance out of 128 to throw a track. You can lower the values to negligible amounts as you desire. I reduced them to a quarter of their previous values, and this works a treat, with thrown tracks being very rare.

This is not as good a solution as the AI being scripted to be less willing to move through risky areas I suppose, although if that were done, it could create a situation where the AI funneled its armour through narrow risk-free corridors that would present another no less serious issue, so I am happy with editing the file.

Download the WaR data workbook from the following site, then use the instructions below:

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/WaR/WaRmods.html

1. Unzip and open the workbook excel file
2. Select the elements worksheet
3. Edit the values in the column that determines chance out of 128 of a thrown track
4. Open up your elements.txt file in your WaR directory (keep a backup copy if you like)
5. Copy and paste the edited elements worksheet data into the elements.txt file and save
6. Tremble in fear in anticipation of the panzers [:)]
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

[font="times new roman"]I’ve thought about doing that as well but I think I’ll play a GC with both sides before attempting to edit anything. [/font]
[font="times new roman"](Just my personal preference).[/font]
[font="times new roman"]It might just be better to edit the maps to your liking, this way you can keep the wooded areas as historically accurate as possible by having them impassable by vehicles.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The above fix might be good for playing the AI but not for H2H.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]P.S.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Don’t forget to back up your original files FIRST just incase you ever want to go back.[/font]
Platoon_Michael

opps
sorry double post
kwverdon

Post by kwverdon »

Thanks Michael/Svend, 

I was headed downt the editted file appoach to lower the thrown track problem when I hit the empty battlegroup bug.  If the patch ever comes out to fix that I may try that approach again.  It might fix the problem with the AI Campain with the German offensive stalling.  I think what is happening is that the AI is sending its armor into rough terrain / woods where they are becoming disabled due to lost tracks.  The rest of the AI then stalls as it won't advance without the Armor.    I've seen that before when you knock out the AI armor the inf becomes real cautious.   It really surprised me as I remember being rolled up like a carpet in the oppening scenarios in CCIV.  It just was not happening in CCWAR.  Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to give it a try.  Support for CCWAR seems to be low on the list right now so I'm not too hopefull.

Kevin
Platoon_Michael

Im not sure what side you are playing as but I find the AI hard pressed on a few maps to come and totally whoop me.(playing as the Allies)
But then again when im backed in a corner with small deployment areas the AI comes and does it's job.Support wiped out 6 teams on me today.
I think 2 sets of maps would be best suited.Small maps for the AI with no Deep Water and no thrown tracks and larger maps with Deep Water and thrown tracks for H2H.

I HATE the deployment WAR has. A small box is not good for any army but when it's done over and over again it gets boring.Having four turns may fix this for a Grand Campaign and Ops (If 4 turns is an option for Ops)
but for single battles onlne it stinks.
It's a shame we dont have CCReq anymore or something like that in the Scenario Editor.Be even better if it supported Ops and GC's.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

If you use the scenario editor, you can start any single battle, with 50 - 50 ownership. it does not need third party software
Platoon_Michael

Thanks Joe: I didnt know that.

Return to “Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein”