Keil Canal

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Doc o War

Keil Canal

Post by Doc o War »

I just tried to return two DD units based out of Williemshaven that were on ASW in the Baltic to to base. Instead of traveling down the famous Kiel Canal that Germany built to connect the North Sea to the Baltic- they returned to base through the seaward NORTH SEA side where they were intercepted by the British Patrol squadron and vaporized.

Where is the Kiel Canal in this?? - Williemshaven is a dual sea port- it should be considered on both seas. This is a historic fact- any ships based in Williemshaven should be allowed to freely pass between the port and the Baltic without entering the North Sea- that was the reason Germany built it. It was widened by 1908 to handle modern Dreadnaughts.
I hate to even say this- but just google Kiel Canal and look at the Wikpeda info- there is a map ect- and this wikpeda cutout--

In order to meet the increasing traffic and the demands of the German Navy, between 1907 and 1914 the canal width was increased. The widening of the canal allowed the passage of a Dreadnought-sized battleship. This meant that these battleships could travel from the Baltic Sea to the North Sea without having to go around Denmark. The enlargement projects were completed by the installation of two larger canal locks in Brunsbüttel and Holtenau

I am not sure why no one has spotted this or brought this up- but clearly the computer is programed to return ships to Williemshaven thru the North Sea even from the Baltic- and that just wasnt true. What can be done about that?
Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.
lordhoff

RE: Keil Canal

Post by lordhoff »

I noticed that - not sure if it happens all the time or not, though. I tended to move units into/out of the Baltic on the first turn because of that (then used them from their new home).
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
Doc o War

Post by Doc o War »

Frank is looking at this- I think the problem is - naval missions last two turns- I moved these units back to base after just one month. The Kiel Canal is supposet to be there- but I interupted the ASW mission- they returned via the wrong path- could be coding issue- best to find every bug and squish it.
Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.
Doc o War

Post by Doc o War »

Ahhh- its fixed in the new patch- nice work guys,,
... Heroditus.

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”