New EIA Tutorial Guide Now Available!

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

geoffreyg

RE: New EIA Tutorial Guide Now Available!

Post by geoffreyg »

Have just purchased game - am logged into members area.
Beta patch downloaded fine but the tutorial guide requests a user name and password.
Have tried both my members login and forum login and also a new combo but can't get past that screen!
Any ideas?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

If you registered EIA in the Members Club and have a Members Club login, you should be able to download the Tutorial Guide via "Private Downloads" or "Registered Downloads".
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

Erik
Many thanks.
I still had problems via registered downloads despite having registered the game and being logged in but no probs via members' downloads.
At first blush looks good.
GShock

Post by GShock »

I think we need many tutorials, a whole section on youtube perhaps to learn the game. I have problems even at doing the setup because there's no explanation of why i can't place a unit here or there. The game is hard and the manual is spartan. I hope to see more steps taken on this path in the future, this tutorial at least helps a bit the newbies learn the game. Ideally, both boardgame and pc game have manuals, u don't need to have played the boardgame to play the pc version provided the pc version manual is good...which it isn't unfortunately because it assumes you know the terminology and the mechanics as a EIA player which is a wrong assumption of course. 
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
Øystein

Post by Øystein »

I finally sat down with this game and ran a game using the tutorial here. I have to say it gave me a better insight into the setup of the game, and let me play a couple of games against the AI to get a small feeling of the game. On my third start now and doing allright :)

AlanG59

Post by AlanG59 »

I just started playing this game; a total Newbie.
I have followed the tutorial through the Setup Phase, step-by-step.
At the end of the phase, when all is in place and I press the, "Next Phase" button, I get a warning that I have units un-deployed; 9 Infantry and 3 Cavalry, to be prescise. I am running version 1.02k; not sure if that matters.

I deploy them as a Corps in Lille, to prevent invasion. Just my stratagy.

Using the set deployment, the British invade Amsterdam; always!
Just my opinion,  but it seems to me that such a strategic port should be defended.

Other than that, I congratulate you on this tutorial.
I purchased the game months ago and was lost, even with thouroughly reading the manual.

Thankyou

MPHopcroft1

Post by MPHopcroft1 »

That answers my "where is it?" question. Thanks.
"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin
AlanBernardo

Post by AlanBernardo »

I don't think the overall method of the tutorial does the user any good. It would have been better to set the whole thing up with all human players, and then go through things, which would insure that the moves made were not made by the AI. As it stands, what moves the AI does make does not coincide with what the tutorial says, and very quickly the tutorial becomes useless.

Alan
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Marshall, in reference to AlanBernardo's post above:

Is there any way you can set the game up with a starting seed value for the randomizer functions? If so, then you could just set it to run the same game over and over again.

NOTE: You may have to do this multiple times, if the game resets the seed each time the random function is executed. But, it should be a minor tweak to change all references to the randomizer to not reset the seed. FINDING them all might be a trick, though.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
lancerunolfsson

Post by lancerunolfsson »

Glad I skimmed this thread because it verifies that I am in fact not stupid. Other people are having the same problems.You guys have managed to make this tutorial a royal pain to find and download. I finally found it and downloaded it. But I really could not swear (and swear I did many times) that I could do it again. BTW the instructions above for finding the link are no more than a cruel hoax. I could not find anyplace any button that said anything vaguely like "private downloads"
If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)
ess1

Post by ess1 »

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo

I don't think the overall method of the tutorial does the user any good. It would have been better to set the whole thing up with all human players, and then go through things, which would insure that the moves made were not made by the AI. As it stands, what moves the AI does make does not coincide with what the tutorial says, and very quickly the tutorial becomes useless.

Alan

Indeed! I even reinstalled original version.
dedonta

Post by dedonta »

In the tutorial it says to:

'It would be helpful to have Spain, Turkey or Russia as allies. For each country, click on one of their land areas then select the “Attempt Alliance” button from the middle of the button menu in the lower left of the screen. Repeat this for each one.'

However, I can't find an "attempt alliance" button.  Some help here would be great.  Thanks

Marcus
New York Jets

Post by New York Jets »

I hope the tuorial will be updated. It has quite a few 'holes' in it.
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -
Ted1066

Post by Ted1066 »

The game interface has changed somewhat since players created these tutorials. The alliances portion is one of those. Now to form an alliance, you simply check a box in the Show Diplomatic Relations screen (get to this screen from one of the buttons at the top of the game window) for the nation you want to request an alliance with. I think this change was made in 1.04 and it caught me offguard as well, and I've been playing this game since 1.0!

Cheers,

Ted
New York Jets

Post by New York Jets »

But for the part where the tutorial says words to the effect of "exerting diplomatic influence', or something like that, later in the first part am I supposed to advance the game to the next phase which I'm guessing is the Diplomatic Phase?

I really should read the rule manual, too while I'm learning the tutorial.
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I really should read the rule manual, too while I'm learning the tutorial.

Reading the manual is good. Also, review the in-game manual updated to v.105 and the release notes in the game's \Data\docs directory.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
VictorCharlie

Post by VictorCharlie »

What happened to the Tutorial Guide?
Hanokh1967

Post by Hanokh1967 »

The tutorial seems to be missing--it is not in either download area. The only download available for EIA is the latest patch. Is there a reason that this file is top secret? Why can't it just be stickied here in the forum?
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

If you registered EIA in the Members Club and have a Members Club login, you should be able to download the Tutorial Guide via "Private Downloads" or "Registered Downloads".
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

While browsing the net,I came across this review of Empires in Arms,and I must agree that a major problem the game has at present,is the lack of a tutorial.Once upon a time there was a tutorial available to download,but that has now disapeared,what the game is crying out for is a decent updated tutorial,that is played from a hot seat perspective,or in other words all human game!adding this feature would make the game much more user friendly,from the new player point of view.

ET AL.
Empires in Arms lets you take control of one of seven countries during the Napoleonic Era from 1805-1815. The game is turn-based and each turn represents one month; you can do the math and see that each campaign lasts a really long time. In addition, there is only one campaign to choose from that lasts the whole time and no editor to create smaller scenarios. Replay value or giving alternative, smaller missions is necessary to cater to the largest possible audience, and Empires in Arms does not support this feature. The game does allow for hot-seat or PBEM (play by e-mail) games for organized folk, and Empires in Arms supports a procedure for determining starting countries to prevent everyone fighting over France and Great Britain. The most ghastly omission in Empires in Arms is the lack of a tutorial. Every modern computer game needs a tutorial, and a complex game such as Empires in Arms missing one is inexcusable. You mean I actually have to read the 128-page manual (which, incidentally, mostly tells about rules and not how to actually do things)? Unfortunately, players unfamiliar with the board game will be dumbfounded and overwhelmed as they step into their first game, and a lot of these newcomers will be turned off immediately by the unfriendly approach Empires in Arms takes. The manual doesn’t even have a written tutorial to run through the first couple of turns with an example the player can follow along with. Frankly, I expect a lot more from a $70 game.
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
PinkPanzer

Post by PinkPanzer »

Hi all

Please, I can't find the tutorial. I have searched in members download, in registered downloads, but it is not there!

Can anyone send me a link?

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”