U.S. Postal System

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Titanwarrior89

U.S. Postal System

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Why is it so Stinking slow? Anyone here work for them? If so please tell me why. Ordered a item two weeks ago and its still not here. It was sent by priority mail(yea right)[:o]

No wonder their in the red!![:@]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Terminus

RE: U.S. Postal System

Post by Terminus »

All Postal Services, in all countries, are slow.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Ours seems really slow. Plus they have requested on possibley not delivering mail on saturdays and the price of stamps keep going up. I don't mind increases when deserved and needed but not when service is marginal at best. [:)]
ORIGINAL: Terminus

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

The irony in the situation is that the USPS has repeatedly raised stamp prices and attributed it to increased fuel costs.

Now, the bottom falls out of energy prices, and they claim that they have to cut service because of reduced volume.

How on earth do you square those two ideas?

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Oddly, I'm a big fan of the USPS. I've ordered a fair bit from the States over the last decade or so, and I don't think anything sent USPS has ever taken more than a week to get here. For the transatlantic cheapo option that ain't bad IMHO.
wdboyd

Post by wdboyd »

Hi,

The U.S. Postal Service is a govenment run institution. To expect it to be effecient and profitable is very unrealistic almost to the point of being laughable.

Maybe Congress should pass communication "Fairness Doctrine" legislation. In it, they can ban or handicap UPS, Federal Express and the Internet to make the post office more competitive.

I shouldn't be completely negative about U.S. government run organizations. After all the Congress is very good at getting themselves re-elected, wasting time and taxpayers money. Oh, they are also very competent at taking advantage of any crisis, or supposed crisis, to increase the power and influence of the government in peoples lives.

Finally, I am sure we have the best politicions money can buy.

But then again... one really has to respect the integrity of legislatures that can vote for and pass a 700+ billion spending bill without even reading through it for themselves in advance. Ah, our illustrious elected officials and organizations.

We Americans can be proud. [8|]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils!"
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: wdboyd

The U.S. Postal Service is a govenment run institution. To expect it to be effecient and profitable is very unrealistic almost to the point of being laughable.

Trust me... the day on which it becomes a non government run institution is one you'll come to regret. Unfortunately 'efficient and profitable' in that context means unceremoniously dumping many of the services private individuals (as opposed to businesses) have been accustomed to and, particularly in rural areas, rely on.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

I thought it was a government controlled corporation-I was in error. The following paragraph is taken from Wiki. I was not aware of the USPS awesome power.

"The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak), but as noted above is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States," (39 U.S.C. § 201) as it is wholly owned by the government and controlled by the Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General. As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail. Indeed in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.[11] The U.S. Supreme Court has also upheld the USPS's statutory monopoly on access to letterboxes against a First Amendment freedom of speech challenge; it thus remains illegal in the U.S. for anyone other than the employees and agents of the USPS to deliver mailpieces to letterboxes marked "U.S. Mail."[12]
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I agree with you. I don't hate the USPS but in this day an age-two weeks is way to long.

But again it could be worst and not have any postal system.[;)]
ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

The irony in the situation is that the USPS has repeatedly raised stamp prices and attributed it to increased fuel costs.

Now, the bottom falls out of energy prices, and they claim that they have to cut service because of reduced volume.

How on earth do you square those two ideas?

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

E

Post by E »

While things like the first post do happen, (and for many reasons, not the least of which can be the sender giving you bad info, and even that is sometimes by mistake), I am extremely pleased with the USPS.   The sheer volume of what they do every single day, boggles. Just imagine sitting there sorting envelopes, packages, magazines, newspapers, paper-wrapped chickens, etc, etc. Trying to read a million different people's handwriting, located in odd places at times, every single day (I couldn't do it without purchasing a semi-automatic rifle).  Their error rate _really is_ phenomenal (until your package is in that rate of course! *grin*).  I've got nothing but good things to say about the people who really are the USPS. (no, I'm not affiliated with them in any manner, shape or form!)
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Ron Belcher

Post by Ron Belcher »

*stands up* Yes, I work for the US Postal Service. In fact, I work for them at a P&DC (Main Plant),
here in Fresno, California. I've ordered my fair share of items. Like you, I am shocked it takes so
long to get a package! I live in central California and I had a package sent from San Francisco.
Figuring that I would have it sent to me via Priority Mail. It took TWO WEEKS! Oh, am I shouting?[:@]

I have no idea what happend to it. Just that it had to have been "wrongly handled" and "tossed" into
an OTR (Over-the-Road big alluminum bin on 4 caster wheels), and sent out-of-state. This happens
all too many times. Employees not paying attention to their job and paying too much attention to
whatever conversation is in their face (Sports, life in general, whatever). Or, they're just plain in
a hurry up state (believe me, they've got their supervisors at times, rushing them on! Just things
like this happens.

Always room for improvement... always. Now, I run the automation machines and put letter carrier
routes into delivery order, so the letter carriers (aka Mailman/Mailwoman) can "grab their respective
route trays", and go on their routes. I don't handle packages though. I've noticed a few letters that
were addressed to me, but when I "expected" them to arrive... they NEVER did. Even though, lol..
I seen them with my own 2 eyes. Nothing I could do. Luckily, they were 3rd Class letters.

From the "inside" looking "out"... I can tell you this, we're dying. I am realistic. I see the writing
on the walls. Just all I ask my fellow grognards... please be patient. Oh, before I close... A fare
word of caution!

DO NOT USE "Delivery Confirmation" !!! It's not a true tracking system! Many times I won eBay items
and was told by the eBay Sellers, they used "Delivery Confirmation". I have called the USPS and
complained about the (hmmmm....), slowness and had the so-called, "Delivery Confirmation" number.
I get told, "Sorry, Delivery Confirmation is not a way the USPS uses to track your letter(s) or parcel(s)".
If you want that service you need to use "Certified, Registered or Express Mail". [X(]

Again, a word to the wise out there! [;)] You are now as informed as me! [8|]

Artwork graciously provided by Rogueusmc
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: tactician93612

You are now as informed as me! [8|]

Excellent post, so thank you. It reads like one of those "the names have been changed to protect the innocent," kinda deals, excepting NO ONE IS INNOCENT! [;)]

Thanks again,

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Grell

Post by Grell »

ORIGINAL: wdboyd

Hi,

Maybe Congress should pass communication "Fairness Doctrine" legislation. In it, they can ban or handicap UPS, Federal Express and the Internet to make the post office more competitive.

I shouldn't be completely negative about U.S. government run organizations. After all the Congress is very good at getting themselves re-elected, wasting time and taxpayers money. Oh, they are also very competent at taking advantage of any crisis, or supposed crisis, to increase the power and influence of the government in peoples lives.

Finally, I am sure we have the best politicions money can buy.

But then again... one really has to respect the integrity of legislatures that can vote for and pass a 700+ billion spending bill without even reading through it for themselves in advance. Ah, our illustrious elected officials and organizations.

We Americans can be proud. [8|]

Well said friend.

Regards,

Grell
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: tactician93612

DO NOT USE "Delivery Confirmation" !!! It's not a true tracking system!

Umm, do you suppose that's why it's called "delivery confirmation" and not "tracking?" *big-grin*

...But seriously, if you sell anything on E-bay via Paypal, you BETTER use Delivery Confirmation! If you don't use it, and the buyer claims no delivery, paypal WILL refund their money from you (although this scam tends to be on higher priced items, it can and does happen on the nickel and dime stuff). If a seller offers to add delivery confirmation for additional charges, ask them to look into what happens if you claim no delivery and they have no proof... delivery confirmation is for the SELLER's benefit. It's their paypal insurance, and you shouldn't have to pay (extra) for it (although you will in a smarter seller's postage and handling charge).
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I live in Oz the last game I bought come via USPS and Australia Post. Dispatched on the 2 of January and received on the 9th, not bad considering I don't live in a thriving metropolis, actually more like a back water.[:D] A pity the game isn't up to the same standard as the postal services.[:D][:D]
Ron
Formerly Goodwood

Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

That's why it is called "snail mail" [:)]
Dennistoun

Post by Dennistoun »

Hertson is correct. The big bosses at Royal Mail are only interested in making money - for their own bonuses!!

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Trust me... the day on which it becomes a non government run institution is one you'll come to regret. Unfortunately 'efficient and profitable' in that context means unceremoniously dumping many of the services private individuals (as opposed to businesses) have been accustomed to and, particularly in rural areas, rely on.
String

Post by String »

Wait what? RM is no longer government run?

Surface combat TF fanboy
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

La Poste in France is infinitely worse. They must regularly burn mail being sent from the UK, because my friends and I here have no luck at all with that.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Hmm, when I drop a letter at postbox, the recipient get it at next workday. Parcels from Amazon usually need 2 days but I can accelerate this by choosing 'overnight express'.

Maybe US postal still rely on Pony Express. [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”