Getting forward bases over 250 aviation support?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chad Harrison

Getting forward bases over 250 aviation support?

Post by Chad Harrison »

Hi all

Given the recent (and amazing!) wave of posts, pic's and AAR's from the dev team, I thought I would give this a whirl.

In vanilla WitP, getting any given base over the magical 250 aviation support was as simple as moving a single, full strength aviation regiment there (270 aviation support). If you brought along the same numbered, over-strength base force with 90 aviation support, you were guranteed to never have a lack of aviation support at that base. Given how many of these large, comb base forces you get (especially as the Allies), you had the ability to keep 1000's of planes fully repaired and ready to go on the front line.

It is my impression that the days of doing this will be over with AE - and rightly so.

I had made a request in one of the AAR's, but it got buried by other more interesting and more pressing questions and/or requests. And no doubt the swarm of other questions being fielded [:D]

So I am going to try this in its own thread and hope for the best!

Questions:

1. In vanilla WitP, 30/90/270 aviation support were the normal amounts of aviation support in the most typical base forces/aviation regiments. What are the new, standard aviation supports for AE base forces, aviation regiments, HQ's and so on.
2. Are the aviation regiments returning for AE? (I actually have no idea if they were historical units, or units that helped keep the game functional) If so, what will their aviation support be?
3. Do the static base forces for major bases (Tokyo, Pearl, San Fran and so on) have 250 or more aviation support?
4. Will it be 'easy' to get over 250 aviation support at forward bases in AE? And by easy, I mean without putting 25 base forces/HQ's there. And please note that this would be independent of stacking and/or suppy limitations (ie. obviously this is not going to happen on Wake Island regardless of what types of units you have available).

and the biggest, most selfish request of them all . . .

5. Can we get a couple of screenshots for us few AFB's of typical *full strength* Allied base forces? In vanilla WitP, all you would need to see screenshots of would be you typical base force, a naval one, and the two unit large base forces. Is it that simple in AE? Or do we have like 30 different TO&E's for 23 different types of base forces? If that is the case, can we get a screenshot or two of the *most* typical, *full strength* Allied base forces? (by full strength I mean the screen you see when you click on the 'Show Unit TOE' button)

Thanks in advance!

Chad
Blackhorse

RE: Getting forward bases over 250 aviation support?

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
Questions:

1. In vanilla WitP, 30/90/270 aviation support were the normal amounts of aviation support in the most typical base forces/aviation regiments. What are the new, standard aviation supports for AE base forces, aviation regiments, HQ's and so on.

Each nation has its own "flavor" for aviation support. The US has three "type" base forces: Land - with 16 aviation support; Naval - with 30 aviation support; and Air -- with 60 aviation support. Late in the war, Air Base Forces will expand to 90 aviation support. There are some small 'special' base forces as well, including the CPNAB "Contractors Pacific Naval Aviation Base" forces that were building air bases for the navy on several Pacific islands when the war broke out. Several of these include small amounts of aviation support from Pan Am airfields and other civilian operations that serviced US aircraft in the early months. The CPNAB units all withdraw by mid-1942.
2. Are the aviation regiments returning for AE? (I actually have no idea if they were historical units, or units that helped keep the game functional) If so, what will their aviation support be?

The old 270 aviation support regiments have been rubbished. The US still has the regiments, but they provide 90 aviation support, as do four Marine Air Wings. US Air Headquarters generally provide 50 or 100 aviation support, depending on type.
3. Do the static base forces for major bases (Tokyo, Pearl, San Fran and so on) have 250 or more aviation support?

For the US, a few of the major bases have static base forces that will eventually grow to 180 or 270 aviation support.
4. Will it be 'easy' to get over 250 aviation support at forward bases in AE? And by easy, I mean without putting 25 base forces/HQ's there. And please note that this would be independent of stacking and/or suppy limitations (ie. obviously this is not going to happen on Wake Island regardless of what types of units you have available).

Early in the war it will be hard for the US to concentrate 270 aviation support in more than a few critical places. But you should find enough support that you don't feel the need to spend precious PP rescuing Dutch base forces! The Pensacola convoy has two precious Air Base Forces on-board at start. Deploy them wisely! By 1944 the US player's biggest concern should be transport capacity -- the US will have a sufficiency of support. Late war, a mix of any 3 Air Base Forces, Air Headquarters, or Aviation Regiments will = 270+ aviation support.
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

Late war, a mix of any 3 Air Base Forces, Air Headquarters, or Aviation Regiments will = 270+ aviation support.

As always, thanks for the reply Blackhorse. You always seem to get stuck answering my questions [:D]

Thanks for all the details. It was exactly what I was looking to find out.

I have heard it mentioned a couple of times that the Allies, namely the Americans, will have more base forces to start with. I, along with many of the AFB's, became obsessed in vanilla WitP with getting as many elements of base forces out of the DEI and PI becuase for the first couple of years, the Allies had squat in that category. So glad to hear that this will not be necessary with the additional units in the starting and early OOB.

Just curious, but will Japan also be somewhat limited with large base forces pre 1943?

Thanks again for the reply.

Chad
Japan

Post by Japan »

Blackhorse How will it be for the Japanese ?   (same questions as Chad Harriosn asked, but for Japan ? )
AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Japan

Blackhorse How will it be for the Japanese ?   (same questions as Chad Harriosn asked, but for Japan ? )

Sorry Japan, I can only answer for the US design. Kereguleun or AndyMac will have to help you out if they pass through this thread . . .
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Japan has a different structure

1. Fixed fortresses/base forces able to support av support
2. Some mobile Base forces per stock in varying flavours - Special Base forces that are more Army support base forces with some av support, IJN (with some naval support and 24 ASupport) and IJAAF (48 Av Support c 25 - 30 of these)
3. Lots of Aviation Bns and IJNAF Aviation Units over 200 total with 24 Av Support each
4. Aviation COmpanies each one 8 Av support (probably 20+ of these - great for getting a few Av support points on atolls)
5. Air Divs and Flotilla HQ's with 72 Av Support
6. Air Fleet and Armies with 144 each
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Thanks for the details Andy.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”