New Recruit

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

OldJubilee

New Recruit

Post by OldJubilee »

Hello All!

I'm new to SPWAW, but I did play the original Steel Panthers, and the one with the postwar theme (SPII?)

Anyway, my question regards FOs...Does the use of FOs merely increase the accuracy of artillery, or does it decrease the delay time before the actual FFE? I mean, as opposed to just using a platoon commander to call in the arty.

I have problems using artillery effectively in general. I tend to use direct fire weapons such as the SP guns, since I seem to have more control over these than indirect fire. My grasp of basic armor and infantry tactics is fairly sound, it's just that darned arty that gives me fits!

Anyway, great game...love it! Hopefully soon I'll feel I am ready to compete online....
"Lice are like Russians..kill one and ten more take its place."
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

The FO will both increase the speed (super fast!) and the accuracy, although the latter only happens if he can see the rounds dropping. Another way to speed up arty and use it effectively is using the shift fire button in the arty screen. A red circle will appear, and you can shift to anywhere in that circle. This is much faster than replotting the guns. Each time you shift in a turn, it slows the arrival time of the rounds. If you only shift once or twice, the rounds still come real quick with an FO.

Goblin- A Goblin says FO's are invaluable:)

PS-Welcome aboard and good hunting
OldJubilee

Post by OldJubilee »

Thank you, sir! I'll surely give it a whirl!
"Lice are like Russians..kill one and ten more take its place."
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

You're welcome. While you are deploying, plot your priority targets also, you will see the button on the arty screen. Put them where you think you will need arty instantly. Any arty shot at a priority hex fires right at the end of your turn.

Goblin- A Goblin aims to please;)
Mangobreeder

Post by Mangobreeder »

speeding up the dropping of rounds? how fast is fast, it 2 turns considered fast or what?
Its nice to be important. Its Important to be nice
Resisti

Post by Resisti »

Oldjubilee,
I strongly suggest you play the tutorial scenarios.
There's a specific one on use of arty!
And if I'm not wrong, there is a step by step text on the manual, related to this tutorial, too.
Then, arty wont be a secret anymore, for you...
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Oldjubilee,

Resisti is totally correct. The tutorial's are really actual missions, with a guide, so they are fun to play.

Mangobreeder,

2 is not fast. If the firing time was .2, then that is very fast.

Goblin- A Goblin thinks decimals are important
E.Lagus

Post by E.Lagus »

Originally posted by Goblin
Oldjubilee,

Resisti is totally correct. The tutorial's are really actual missions, with a guide, so they are fun to play.
<snip>
I am a "recruit" too, and i found the tutorials immensely useful.
peter hellman

one more thing...

Post by peter hellman »

OldJubilee wrote:
I have problems using artillery effectively in general.

Used against APC/AVF's artillery seldom produce kills, but it can at least suppress the vehicles and even get the crews to bail out sometimes.
"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth
Orzel Bialy

New Recruits

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Welcome to the new recruits that have reported for duty! :)

It's good to see some new call-names on the forum, utilizing it's resources and getting into the mix. Hopefully these new members were swayed by the "guest" post?

If so, Goblin...a job well done on your efforts helping the recruiting campaign!!! :D I may have threw the thread out there, but you really make it stick! ;) I just hope no one asks for the free lessons on Pbem from you...an early thrashing might scare them off again. :D

Goblin - A Golbin REALLY should be a used car salesman! LOL
Mangobreeder

Post by Mangobreeder »

Im a new recuit, and i love SPWaW cant wait till uni ends i have the entire summer to my self to spend quality time with it. 5 whole months Muhahahahahaha
Its nice to be important. Its Important to be nice

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”