Pilot Draw on Turn 1

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

scout1

Pilot Draw on Turn 1

Post by scout1 »

Does AE start with such a huge pilot draw on turn 1 like stock ?

If one doesn't turn off replacements, the transport boys suck up ALL the good pilots from the get-go ..... Very frustrasting !
Yamato hugger

RE: Pilot Draw on Turn 1

Post by Yamato hugger »

Everything is going to suck up your pilots. You arent going to get any freebies anymore. Get used to that notion. Disband a squadron? No problem, when it comes back, it will draw 24 (or however many it needs to fly its planes) new ones from the pool.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Man, this really is different from WitP.  What happens when the pilot pool drains?  Do you have to start pulling from those in training?

Also, where does the pool get more pilots?  Those that graduate from training? 

If that's the case, do pilots move from one pool to the next better one as they gain experience?
Created by the amazing Dixie
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Man, this really is different from WitP.  What happens when the pilot pool drains?  Do you have to start pulling from those in training?

If that's the case, do pilots move from one pool to the next better one as they gain experience?

If you look at that pilots screen shot I posted earlier (page 3 of my first AAR), you will see you have your pools (trained pilots) and you have 4 more rows past that. These are your pilots in training. New pilots just entering the training process are in the 1 to 3 column. If used to flesh out a unit, they have a whopping 2 experience on the average! After 3 months they move to the 4 to 6 row and is around 16 or so experience. After 6 months they move to the 7 to 9 row where they are close to being "trained" (around 30). I wouldnt suggest using pilots from anything less than this even if you are desperate. 3 more months get them only 10 more experience and 3 more after that is only another 10 so as long as you can put them in a backwater to learn their trade using these guys isnt much worse than using "trained" pilots (at 50 experience). Course if they have to go into the fire right from the start, they are going to have problems.

And this is for both players, not just the Jap.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

If you look at that pilots screen shot I posted earlier (page 3 of my first AAR), you will see you have your pools (trained pilots) and you have 4 more rows past that. These are your pilots in training. New pilots just entering the training process are in the 1 to 3 column. If used to flesh out a unit, they have a whopping 2 experience on the average! After 3 months they move to the 4 to 6 row and is around 16 or so experience. After 6 months they move to the 7 to 9 row where they are close to being "trained" (around 30). I wouldnt suggest using pilots from anything less than this even if you are desperate. 3 more months get them only 10 more experience and 3 more after that is only another 10 so as long as you can put them in a backwater to learn their trade using these guys isnt much worse than using "trained" pilots (at 50 experience). Course if they have to go into the fire right from the start, they are going to have problems.

Mich, these pictures?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

Yes.
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

And where are the instructors? which helps in training process? where can we see them and their effect? Since it was mentioned a few months ago we can withdraw experienced pilots to improve training....
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

And where are the instructors? which helps in training process? where can we see them and their effect? Since it was mentioned a few months ago we can withdraw experienced pilots to improve training....

I think that those are commanders who command the training units (though only inside WitP-AE people can confirm)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

That sig makes me think there are about 100 galley slaves below deck stroking them "oars" sticking out of the side of that barge. [:D]
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

That sig makes me think there are about 100 galley slaves below deck stroking them "oars" sticking out of the side of that barge. [:D]

Those are wooden pikes that would hold the anti-torpedo nets when ship is in port... cumbersome for deployment and looking like oars... those were, of course, abandoned everywhere after WWI... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

YH, I'm still not sure about the pilot reserve.  How do they work?  When you get a reinforcement air unit, how are pilots assigned?  Can you briefly talk that and how you work the pilot pool/reserve thingy?

Thanks much.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

Beats the snot out of me. If you figure it out, please explain it to me [:D]
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I am concerned that this system does not take into account the "leavening" effect of the US habit of withdrawing veteran air units so that their pilots can train the new recruits.
fair winds,
Brad
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I am concerned that this system does not take into account the "leavening" effect of the US habit of withdrawing veteran air units so that their pilots can train the new recruits.

It surprises many to hear the Japs did the same thing.
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

So, can we withdraw experienced pilots to improve training? And can we get some example how does it work? Please [;)]
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

Well, right now it doesnt. Its broken. Air boys are working on it as we speak.
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

Thanks for the info, YH. Hope they can fix it!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”