CHS vs RHS

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

51st Highland Div

CHS vs RHS

Post by 51st Highland Div »

Looking for feedback re the best of these two mods to install for WitP eg ease of installation and playability wise..Played the stock scenarios to death so looking for something to pass the time till WiTP:AE comes out...[:)] Thanks in advance
https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC
Yamato hugger

RE: CHS vs RHS

Post by Yamato hugger »

Whats AE?
51st Highland Div

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition...basically what youve got as a sig [:D]

BJStone

Post by BJStone »

I'm curious about this myself. I've played the stock vs the AI for a while and I keep hearing others in this forum talk about CHS and RHS.

The thing that kind of scares me about RHS is that they keep coming out with new updates and versions, and if I understand correctly, you have to restart after each update? I'd really like to hear about that process.

Lokking forward to following this topic,

BJ
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

I havent played stock in years. I play CHS. Have never tried RHS.
herwin

Post by herwin »

I currently am involved in four RHS games, two as a political player, one as Japan, and one as the Allies. You don't need to track the updates--which are category 3 errata almost entirely--just go with one of the current scenarios.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Bogo Mil

Post by Bogo Mil »

If you played stock "to death", you should try RHS. It is more different from stock than CHS. As Herwin said, you don't have to start over again and again just because the team doesn stop to publish new versions. The recent versions were all playable. They always correct some minor errors or "improve" some game mechanics (last major change was a new ASW model), but for many months nothing was so important that it justified a restart.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

Agreed. RHS has been a mature system for some time now and the updates are minor additions and errata corrections. CHS has errata as well, but is no longer in development.

I think you would enjoy either one, although if you are playing CHS I would personally recommend the experimental version. RHS increases the number of units and the overall complexity, especially economics so it takes a little longer to enter a turn. I really enjoy RHS and now that I am immersed in it, I would be reluctant to go back to any other mod.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

If you have one or two weeks of patience, you can try my CHS IATB. It's a mixture of CHS and RHS. The simplicity of CHS with the advanced options of RHS. :)
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Ol_Dog

Post by Ol_Dog »

And the RHS digital maps are beautiful [:)]
Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.
51st Highland Div

Historiker, where can i get your version of CHS -IATB as you mentioned in your post to give it a try ? Thanks in advance

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

It's not released, yet. I'm still working on it.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Not mentioned here is "Big B" mod - i haven't tried it yet, but i supposedly irons out some of the wrinkles in CHS.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Most players use CHS. RHS is also a good mod but is always in a state of development. The two RHS games ive played with el cid have been very enjoyable
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

morganbj

Post by morganbj »

I've played Big B several times and find it very interesting. But, the change to the cargo capacity for ships to slow down operations slows it down too much, I think. On "historical" difficulty, Japan NEVER takes Clark Field, Manila, Bataan, or any of the southern islands except Mindanao and Jolo. In my last last game against the AI on that level, I even fought off the invasions of Java and Celebes. Borneo bit the schnitzel, but other than Palembang, most of the rest of the DEI never fell.

So, while it's fun and has some good historicity, it just doesn't work all that well at normal difficulty and against the AI.

I want AE!! And I want it now!!

(Come on you guys, start the chant.)
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

AE!  AE!  AE!  AE!  [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
51st Highland Div

If only saying "AE" would bring it closer to release..before the credit crunch zaps my spending power any more..:-(

Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

RHS is easy to install, once you figure out where to put in that damned install folder (it must be in a specific folder) and is a great game to play. The map is a candy to the eyes and the endless scenarios there are keeping you playing till the year 2560 . The economy is far more complex as the overall RHS game is compared to stock - but If you know stock well and read sids manuals and descriptions carefully, you will feel comfortable very quickly. RHS has much more units, planes ships etc and put them were they were historically and is looking even to the tinyies ship around there- you will see TKs with 500 capacity and AKs with 300 capacity to the minimum. But you will get AP Queen Mary and QE - bang ! :)  I love RHS - it is unbeliveable what those guys did out of a 4,5 year old game.  The RHS updates on existing scenarios are only minor - some of the scenarions are older and doesnt receive major updates but the work is still in progress. But I dont think that you need to restart becasue of some minor changes. good luck

51st Highland Div

Think im going to go with RHS as you state it has a much larger OOB to play around with,just going to figure out how to install the damn thing properly so backup copies essential.Thanks to all that replied [:)]

Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

there is a installer aviable. this is really to only thing you need to have. once you started the installer, it asks you to select the game folder and make sure you are using the right map to the right pwhex file. I recommend the map version 7. its the map with the most additional locations, like Aden and Madacascar New Orleans etc. have fun ! I play the EOSAI Scenario becasue this is the game that supports an japaneseAI best and I like the allied side. good luck

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”