New guy with a few questions

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare is the result of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. New features include, multiplayer support, third party databases, scenario editors, and OVER 300 pre-built scenarios!

Moderator: Harpoon 3

th3flyboy

New guy with a few questions

Post by th3flyboy »

Hey guys, I got ANW for christmas, and I was wondering what databases work with the latest build besides the PDB. Also I was wondering this, in some of the PDB scenerios, it seems like the program is lagging, but it isn't using max on any of my CPU cores or my ram. I'll post both the old and new system specs, the old ones are from before the vid card blew out (guess it was the old card's time). The new specs are for the parts I have right now, please note that it's currently being re-assembled as the vid card barely fit in the old case so now I had to get a new case and PSU on top of the vid card. I'm throwing in the new specs in just in case anyone wants to know what I will be using by probably tomorrow, as I don't see the changes being made fixing the problem.

Old specs:
Mobo: XFX nForce 680i lt SLI
CPU: Core 2 Quad q6600
RAM: 4 gigs 800 mhz on 2 sticks
Video Card: PNY Geforce 8500 gt 512 megs

New specs:
Mobo: XFX nForce 680i lt SLI
CPU: Core 2 Quad q6600 4 cores @ 2.4ghz each (64 bit)
RAM: 4 gigs 800 mhz on 2 sticks
Video Card: BFG Geforce GTX 280 OCX 1 gig

I run ANW and I notice that it is lagging yet not using even half of my RAM or any of my CPU cores on the larger scenarios. I was wondering if this was normal behavior or if there might be a problem. If it is something that is just part of ANW and normal, is there any chance of any optimizations in a patch that may fix this? So far I really like ANW, it is a lot like Harpoon 2 (I got that when I was 12, I still have the disc), that's something I like a lot. Finally, one more question, I notice in some of the Players DB battlesets, that it says scenarios aren't in the ANW version because they aren't compatible, is there any chance of these being ported to ANW?

Thanks,
th3flyboy
"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny"
Stephen Hawking

Allow nukes option? What other option is there for me except ON!

The sims, heh, I play the sims alright, the tank sims, flight sims, ship sims, space sims, racing sims, and naval sims
hermanhum

Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: th3flyboy

Hey guys, I got ANW for christmas, and I was wondering what databases work with the latest build besides the PDB.
I can't help you out with your technical questions regarding RAM and CPU, but other databases that try to work within ANW parameters are:

1) HUD3 (Harpoon Users Database III) - included with the ANW Patch
2) Colonial Wars database (http://www.harpoonhq.com/?page_id=10)
3) Advanced Projects Database (No current link)

Finally, one more question, I notice in some of the Players DB battlesets, that it says scenarios aren't in the ANW version because they aren't compatible, is there any chance of these being ported to ANW?
Many of those 'missing' scenarios are from the author, Freek Schepers. He wrote them for Harpoon v3.6.3 and they don't work in a manner satisfactory to him under ANW. Some have been modified to work under ANW, but some are just waiting until the game is de-bugged sufficiently before being added to the ANW Library of Scenarios. For example, weapons that fire under H3 conditions have difficulty under ANW. Or, subs will act in a certain way under H3, but do some very odd things under ANW.

These types of behaviours are out of the control of scenario designers and are a result of basic changes in the game code. Unless these problems are rectified, it is unlikely that some, or all, of those H3 scenarios will be made to run under ANW. At this time, there are about 16 scenarios available in H3, but not in ANW.

If you really want to try some of those H3 scenarios under ANW conditions, we can help you do so. Just ask and you can be shown how to do it yourself.

Welcome aboard, shipmate. [8D]
th3flyboy

RE: Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB

Post by th3flyboy »

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

Hey guys, I got ANW for christmas, and I was wondering what databases work with the latest build besides the PDB.
I can't help you out with your technical questions regarding RAM and CPU, but other databases that try to work within ANW parameters are:

1) HUD3 (Harpoon Users Database III) - included with the ANW Patch
2) Colonial Wars database (http://www.harpoonhq.com/?page_id=10)
3) Advanced Projects Database (No current link)

Finally, one more question, I notice in some of the Players DB battlesets, that it says scenarios aren't in the ANW version because they aren't compatible, is there any chance of these being ported to ANW?
Many of those 'missing' scenarios are from the author, Freek Schepers. He wrote them for Harpoon v3.6.3 and they don't work in a manner satisfactory to him under ANW. Some have been modified to work under ANW, but some are just waiting until the game is de-bugged sufficiently before being added to the ANW Library of Scenarios. For example, weapons that fire under H3 conditions have difficulty under ANW. Or, subs will act in a certain way under H3, but do some very odd things under ANW.

These types of behaviours are out of the control of scenario designers and are a result of basic changes in the game code. Unless these problems are rectified, it is unlikely that some, or all, of those H3 scenarios will be made to run under ANW. At this time, there are about 16 scenarios available in H3, but not in ANW.

If you really want to try some of those H3 scenarios under ANW conditions, we can help you do so. Just ask and you can be shown how to do it yourself.

Welcome aboard, shipmate. [8D]

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to try some of those out. I can fully understand what you mean about ANW acting weird, as I doubt you could ever do as many gameplay changes as they did from H3 to ANW and expect everything to work properly when porting from H3 to ANW. I'll gladly help out with making scenarios if I can find the time and figure out the editor. Right now though, I'm in my 2nd semester of college and I really don't want to screw myself over by getting side tracked.
Stephen Hawking

The sims, heh, I play the sims alright, the tank sims, flight sims, ship sims, space sims, racing sims, and naval sims
morphin

Post by morphin »

HI th3flyboy

Which Version do you use? The newest 3.9.4 Beta is lagging. Use 3.9.3 instead

Andy
th3flyboy

Post by th3flyboy »

ORIGINAL: morphin

HI th3flyboy

Which Version do you use? The newest 3.9.4 Beta is lagging. Use 3.9.3 instead

Andy

Alright I'll look into that, if I can do a 2nd install...
Stephen Hawking

kipallen

Post by kipallen »

Welcome aboard. This is a great adventure, and there're a lot of helpful shipmates around here. If you have any questions, just ask!

Return to “Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare”