MCLV: Gott in Himmel! What happened?

Discuss likes and dislikes, get help and talk about MC tactics, AAR's, etc

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

AbsntMndedProf

MCLV: Gott in Himmel! What happened?

Post by AbsntMndedProf »

I just finished two battles where my KG was assigned to relieve two units, one artillery and one infantry. I thought my units kicked Soviet kiester, and our forces took minimal casualties. Yet, in both cases, I achieved only draws. What did I do wrong??? Aaaarrrgh! :rolleyes:

Eric Maietta
Supervisor

Post by Supervisor »

Without knowing the full mission objective briefing it's hard to say. Maybe you had to catch something specific and then retreat or not lose a specific piece of hardware, or capture everything.:confused:
ZoomBoy27

Post by ZoomBoy27 »

I just played a Lost Victories scenario(Vebber Leads The Way) where I had to exit as many troops as I could after taking the objective hexes. You get points for placing units on a victory exit hex(150 for a tank etc.) And I unloaded all passengers to get points for them too.

Check your maps for any exit hexes.

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my Web-Site
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Originally posted by ZoomBoy27
I just played a Lost Victories scenario(Vebber Leads The Way) where I had to exit as many troops as I could after taking the objective hexes. You get points for placing units on a victory exit hex(150 for a tank etc.) And I unloaded all passengers to get points for them too.

Check your maps for any exit hexes.

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my Web-Site
Was it "Vebber takes the point" Node14 or "Vebber to the rescue" Node18?? It´s important to look for the map markings and scenario numbers, otherwise we don´t know what the troublemaker is! ;)

Do you mean the scenario had non-functioning victory exit hexes and you didn´t gain any points for exiting units on them??? :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
AbsntMndedProf

Post by AbsntMndedProf »

The first draw was in 'Vebber to the Rescue'. I don't recall the name of the second draw, involving an infantry unit rescue, but the commander of the infantry unit to be rescued was Capt. Wild Bill. Hope that clears things up some.

Eric Maietta
Grenadier

Post by Grenadier »

In both of those battles the AI has exit hexes and so they must have gotten several units out to cause a draw. In the battle instrtuctions the player is warned that the enemy is trying to escape the Uman kessel.

P.S. This post would be best put in the Mega Campaigns subforum
Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://
ZoomBoy27

Post by ZoomBoy27 »

Originally posted by RockinHarry

Was it "Vebber takes the point" Node14 or "Vebber to the rescue" Node18?? It´s important to look for the map markings and scenario numbers, otherwise we don´t know what the troublemaker is! ;)
Do you mean the scenario had non-functioning victory exit hexes and you didn´t gain any points for exiting units on them??? :eek:

Harry

Sorry, but you seemed confused. I was giving an EXAMPLE of HOW exit hexes function. There was no problem with the scenario. I even got a window message each time a unit was exited from the map. And, anti-climactically, it was "Vebber takes the point" It'll be a pleasure doing that one again. Currently I'm running two LV campaigns - 1) the 1st time through taking whatever results I can get and 2) following most of the choices of the 1st but aiming for DVs

Finished two scenarios this weekend - "Vebber takes the point" and the Dubno Surprise. I didn't put any planning into the 2nd and it showed. And I keep using Engineers as ordinary troops forgetting minefields and other obstacles - I only got a draw on that and the German force morale was broken. :eek:

ZoomBoy
ZoomBoy27

Post by ZoomBoy27 »

Brent Grenadier Richards - Lost Victories Designer says

Mr. Moderator is that possible to do?

ZoomBoy
BryanMelvin

Post by BryanMelvin »

Remember - In Lost Victories - A draw is as good as a decisive Win. :D :D :D
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

Originally posted by RockinHarry

I played "Vebber Rakes the Point" (I'm fairly certain anyway) with exit hexes (I'm certain of that) and I couldn't get any units to exit so I ended with a draw after destroying just about everything on the map.

It was the node where you had the option to split your forces or take the southern road. I took the southern road and kept my forces together.

For future reference, if there are exit hexes in a node, you are just supposed to move your units to the exit hex and they disappear, right?
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
ZoomBoy27

Post by ZoomBoy27 »

Originally posted by rbrunsman
For future reference, if there are exit hexes in a node, you are just supposed to move your units to the exit hex and they disappear, right?
They disappear at the End of your turn. Also remember to unload passengers on any transport to get the points for them

ZoomBoy27
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Hi east fronters

ALWAYS watch out for Victory exit hexes, even if the intro text does not mention that you need to leave units off the map! Leaving side gains 3x points of exiting units and opponent still gains half of enemy units points of what remains on the map at games end! Don´t lurk around, try to leave only small detachements of units to cover other style victory hexes, but move the high point units off the map via the Victory exit hexes.

Example: 3 Tanks worth ~100 points each, gain you ~900 points for exiting them via the VicExHexes! (3x3x100)

In fact I don´t like how Victory Exit hexes are handled in SPWAW, but to compensate one also can put (..as scenario designer) an enemy "fake" Victory exit hex on the map that gains the other player a similar amount of points for non-exiting units. In the above case, a soviet Victory Exit hex should work, even if the Soviet side is not supposed to leave the map at all. In this case, only the side who really leaves the map with some units gains a considerable amount of ponts, but both sides need to be balanced (point-wise) for this purpose.

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

Originally posted by ZoomBoy27

They disappear at the End of your turn. Also remember to unload passengers on any transport to get the points for them

ZoomBoy27
Ohhh. I feel so stupid! I thought they would disappear right away like my 75mm IG did when I accidentally drove it over a Retreat Hex in another node. I guess I needed to be patient. I don't think I ever left one unit on the hex by the end of my turn. There were too many tempting targets to go after. Thanks for the grear tip (and I swear, I read the manual).
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
AbsntMndedProf

Post by AbsntMndedProf »

Thanks for the help, eveyone! I guess that I've become used to 'exit hexes' being marked with a 'victory hex' symbol, as they were in MCNA, and wasn't looking for the right markings for an 'RT'
hex. Well, you live and learn! :D

Eric Maietta

Return to “Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW”