battle/hq module update

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

LarkinVB

battle/hq module update

Post by LarkinVB »

I started playing more TOS after a break of some years and updated the battle/hq modules with minor fixes/improvements, just for my pleasure.

Read this : patch 122 work in progress
Thorgrim

RE: battle module update

Post by Thorgrim »

Cool! Count me in, I'm interested. You know my email address [:D]  Do you have a changelog that you can post here?

Iceman
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I'm updating more small stuff. Changelog will be posted together with a new version here when I feel it is ready.

Here is a new titan equipment datafile. It is called fvars.dat and has to be copied into the data\configs folder of your TOS installation root. Make sure you backup the original file and check that all players use the same file in network games !

I reduced scan time for low tech scanners :

---------Old-New-
Level1 1.7 1.35
Level2 1.6 1.30
Level3 1.5 1.25
Level4 1.3 1.15
Level5 1.2 1.10
Level6 1.0 1.00

This will make low tech scanners more usefull.

EDIT: Not satisfied with the values. Therefore I removed the link.

Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

I still have my old files, with fixes and improvements. I can send it your way, if you want  [;)]
(IIRC flares 2 could use some improvement over flares 1 for example, or something, will have to check)
Iceman
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Why not. It won't hurt at all.
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

I started playing more TOS after a break of some years and updated the battle module with minor fixes/improvements, just for my pleasure.

If you are interested in v1.2.2 of battle.dll please PM me. This is unofficial, there won't be any official patches for TOS.

For installation make a backup of battle.dll in your game folder before adding the new file. These updates require the latest patched version of TOS installed (v1.2.1).

Any update is good for me.
PM sent - would love to have it [&o]
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Here is the changelog for my current, unreleased version :

patch 122 work in progress
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

@Larkin - saw your other post that you are still making changes/tweaks - good news indeed!
If you need help testing anything out, let me know.
gazra

Post by gazra »

LarkinVB, this is my wish list for changes that I would like to be addressed in future patches:

1. A fix that makes this game compatible with multicore processors (without the need to use a third-party program).
2. Make all new Jock recruits start with 5 in all attributes and 0 in all skills. Then give the player much more than the current 333 DPs (Development Points) to spend on improving the Jock's attribute values and skill values. The exact number of DPs would be modified by the Squad leader's rank and Leadership skill value (i.e. the Squad leader's 'recruit rookie mod' percentage).
3. Make a Jock's salary dependent only on his/her/its Business skill value and his/her/its rank (or his/her/its Business skill and the sum of all of his/her/its attribute values and skill values). Stop the number of kills and missions affecting a Jock's salary.
4. Make all piloting skill checks much easier to succeed in passing. My Titans are always falling down. It's just ridiculous how often Titans fall down in this game!
5. If your Squad wins a battle, then your Squad should get to keep (as salvage) all of the enemy Titans that were disabled but did not explode (in the exact condition that the disabled enemy Titans were in at the end of the battle) instead of receiving money that reflects the value of the salvaged Titans as is currently the case.
6. If your Squad wins a battle, then your Squad should have a chance to capture each enemy Jock that ejected during the battle. These prisoners of war would then automatically generate a one-time "bounty" payment that would be added to your treasury after the battle was over.
7. Make all enemy Titans that your Jock has detected have the borders of the hexes that they are in coloured red. This would allow you to instantly and clearly see all enemy Titans that your currently active Jock is able to detect on the battlefield.
8. Introduce a setting to this computer game. Make a map that represents the surface of the planet that this game takes part on. Then divide the map up into regions that can be fought over between Squads. When you begin a new game in this 'world domination' mode of the game, you would get to choose which region you want to begin the game owning. Each region would generate resources, income, and Jocks that can be recruited. Some regions should have Titan factories or spare parts depots that would make those regions more valuable to own and fight over. This would make retreating from a battle much more strategically important because you would want to keep your precious Jocks and Titans in an attempt to maintain your empire, and you could choose which of your regions that your Titans retreat to from the region that you were battling in. You would only be able to buy/modify/repair Titans if you owned a region that had a Titan factory (or spare parts depot in the case of modifications/repairs). You could create as many Squads as you could afford. Each battle that your Squads won in a hostile region would give you possession of that region. The other factions in this 'world domination' mode of the game would be played by AI (or by another player in a 2 player game, with all other regions being controlled by "neutral" factions that never attack but can only defend their region). All regions that weren't initially owned by you would be controlled by AI factions that have their own Squad(s). These regions would also generate the same resources, income, and Jocks that can be recruited, so that these neutral or hostile factions would improve their Squad(s) over time. This 'world domination' mode of the game would only be won once a player had conquered every region on the map or eliminated every other player.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Sorry gazra, without going into detail I won't do your changes. Some are just not to my taste (2.-7.) and others are too much work (8.) or not possible at all (1.) at this time.

Nice to see though that the game is enough fun to make you think about improvements. [8D]
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

2. I think this would make the game pretty much predictable. I think you having to work with what you get (provided you try to choose different names/callsings) is more interesting.

3. Salary is not so much a real salary but an upkeep. I think that in an RPG perspective kills and missions increasing upkeep makes sense.

4. Even Veteran+ jocks? Notice that if you make piloting skills easier, BRGs for instance will be made all but useless.

5. Notice that disabled enemy titans after a battle are converted into salvage (money, or parts if you will). Getting to salvage a titan from the battlefield is just a kind of bonus, it introduces a "surprise" factor which is nice.

6. Hmm, incorporating PoWs into your own forces?! That's an odd concept [;)]

Iceman
gazra

Post by gazra »

LarkinVB, here are some more changes that I would like to be addressed in future patches:

9. Stop the screen automatically centering elsewhere on the map while the game processes the moves and actions of Titans during a battle because it is nauseating. It is EXTREMELY annoying to have to continually centre the screen back to where you originally had it!!! Also, allow the player to freely move the screen around the map while the game is processing the moves and actions of Titans during a battle (because sometimes the action is slightly off-screen so that you don't get to clearly see it).

10. Remove the red target reticle that overlays the locked Titan damage display in the lower left corner of the game interface during battles because it makes it unnecessarily difficult to see the damage condition of the different locations of the locked Titan (especially the right arm!!!).

11. Make a Titan's maximum walking speed and maximum running speed dependent on the Titan's PUs (of its engine) to mass (of the Titan) ratio (similar to the way that it is in BATTLETECH, which is a much better and more realistic way of determining a Titan's maximum walking speed and maximum running speed). Make a Titan's maximum jumping speed dependent on its (PUs and Jump Ports number) to mass ratio.

12. Give Titans acceleration and momentum. This would make movement much more realistic because Titans would be able to do more than just either stand still or move at their maximum speed. It is just ludicrous that Titans can go from 0 to maximum speed in 0 seconds (as is currently the case! A Titan's maximum acceleration value and maximum deceleration value would be determined by its PUs (and Jump Ports number in the case of Jumping) to mass ratio. Then, a Titan would have a velocity (i.e. speed & direction of movement) value each game second. A Titan would then need to decelerate (which would take game time) in order to come to a complete stop. The more momentum (i.e. mass X velocity) that a Titan has, then the more time it would take for the Titan to change its direction of movement.

13. As a newcomer to this computer game, I created a Squad of rookie Jocks that started with $500,000 and then played the Deep Core, Savannah, and Rebel Hunter campaigns (in that order) without playing any other missions or random map battles before or in between. All of the missions in these campaigns were well balanced except for missions 2 and 5 in the Savannah campaign, which were way too difficult! The only way that I was able to complete these 2 missions was by cheating chronically! These 2 missions need to be made much easier!
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

I agree with 9, and that's something I pointed out a couple of times, but apparently there's some technical issues involved. That'd be a nice improvement.

About 11, I'm not sure I agree. More power available doesn't necessarily translate into more performance as far as the move actuators are concerned. They require a certain amount of power to operate, dependent on move type. If they get that amount of power, they operate at full capacity (why wouldn't they?). Notice that the actuators are the same regardless of the size of the engine (or the titan's mass), that's basically why I don't agree with you. Notice that in BT engine size is all about speed, whereas in ToS power is mainly for weapon recycle. If ToS would work the same way as BT, then assault titans would *always* have to have large engines, even non-energy titans, or they'd be really really slow. It's a nice mechanic as far as a board game goes, but ToS is not a board game - it has its problems too, and I don't find it that realistic anyway.
Titan speed is somewhat related to mass BTW. If you design underweight titans, they'll be slightly faster.

Sorry, #12 doesn't even begin to make sense in my mind. If this were a simulation, physics would make all the sense in the world. As it is, I don't see the point of any of that, and exactly what real effect it'd have in the game.
Iceman
gazra

Post by gazra »

LarkinVB wrote: "Nice to see though that the game is enough fun to make you think about improvements."
I realize that heavily modifying the game is not an option at this late stage in this computer game's life (especially now that it is freeware). I'm just offering suggestions that I think would make this superb computer game even better, and I'm hoping that this discussion will inspire somebody to make a 'Mech computer game some time in the future.
Yes, this game can be extremely fun (e.g. the arena mission in the Savannah campaign, and mission 7 in the Rebel Hunter campaign), but this game can also be very frustrating (e.g. missions 2 and 5 in the Savannah campaign, and mission 1 in the Android Rebellion campaign)!
I am also very much looking forward to LarkinVB's upcoming patch (or group of updated game files)!

Thorgrim, you make some good points about point 11. I agree that it is a good thing that ToS: WS is different to BATTLETECH. As for the engines - I'm assuming that they are fusion power plants or antimatter power plants because they make one hell of an explosion when they explode!!! These engines explode with a 666 metre blast-radius, so they are packing some serious energy!!! Never-the-less, the more power that an engine can deliver, the quicker the vehicle's acceleration and the higher the vehicle's maximum speed should be. The Titan would have more powerful servo motors (or hydraulic rams) in its legs to allow the Titan to utilize the increased power from the more powerful engine - it's a simple matter of scaling equipment and a fundamental principle of engineering.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

I think you're missing something. There are several movement types possible, each with a given PU requirement. You can walk for 2PUs, or you can turn up the juice (3PUs) to run or dodge (and pay the price in heat generation). That's regardless of titan mass. Of course, according to those engineering principles, the lower the mass of the titan, the higher the speed at which those movements are performed  [:'(]
Now, having a recon use say 2PUs to walk at 50 kph with a given engine type, 3PUs at 100kph, exactly how many PUs would you need for an assault to run at say 60kph? An engineering guesstimate.  [;)] Also, how would that affect heat generation? Most likely those recons with larger engines wouldn't really be able to do much of anything when running...

Notice that in BT 'Mechs use the same power consumption (undefined really) for movement, regardless of type, which should be totally unrealistic in your engineering perspective - and yes, mine is also an engineering perspective, just to be clear  [;)]
Iceman
CrushU

Post by CrushU »

Think about it this way.

The actuators are built to require the maximum amount of energy all the time, and that's always either 2PUs or 3PUs for either Walking or Running/Dodging. Putting more power into them doesn't do anything except overload them. If you know anything about computers, and one is working just fine with a 400W power supply, putting in a 600W power supply will make absolutely no difference.
Gargantou

Post by Gargantou »

I love when I see stuff like this, devs whom continue to support the games in their free time etc, it's a sign of people whom are truly passionate about what they do, and it shows in the game no doubt, it's a 'shame' that ToS remains the closest thing we have to a commercial BattleTech computerized strategy game, but I guess it just isn't worth producing games like these from a financial standpoint these days :(

Anyway, I was wondering LarkinVB, will you upload the 1.2.2 patch when it's "final", or does one have to contact you asking for a copy?

Just so I don't sit waiting for 3 months then I realize "Oh wait, maybe I should PM him" and feel like a fool!

Thanks for any reply.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

OK. Since I do not know when I will call patch 1.2.2 final, I will release my latest versions here as a zip archive. Just download, unzip into your titans of steel root folder and read the patch122.txt for information on changes. I will append letters on the archive filename so you can keep track if there is new stuff. You can report problems here but use it as is and be aware that problems can creep up. Updates are infrequent just at my leisure. Be aware that players should play same patch version in network games !
Note that I do these updates to improve my game experience since I restarted to play a squad with my friend. Therefore changes are based on this play experience and are not as tested as v1.2.1 final was. I do acknowledge that this game is rarely played but perhaps the patch can add some more fun to those who still enjoy.

If you want to update your titan database so that all existing titans will fix their move speed according to the new changes, use the tmerge.exe 'command line' utility in the data/titans folder. I'm too lazy to write a howto. Just be aware that you can get options with tmerge -h, check a weight class database with tmerge -1 x.tos (replace x with numbers 1 to 5, 1 for recons, 5 for assaults) and tmerge -s -x.tos to fix old speed settings.
Expl. : tmerge -s -1 3.tos to fix speed for medium titans.

EDIT: Progress is now stickied here

Megrez

Post by Megrez »

Hi :) Could anyone explain to me how to use the tmerge.exe command line to update my titan database?
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

ORIGINAL: Megrez

Hi :) Could anyone explain to me how to use the tmerge.exe command line to update my titan database?

Well, Larkin just did, in the previous post [;)] Read the last paragraph.
In the command line prompt, go to the ...\data\titans folder and run the tmerge utility with the -h switch for options, and it'll tell you what to do. I've made some .bat files years ago, to automate the whole process. Really simple.
The -1 switch will tell if there are any errors to be fixed, and if there are (the offical database should only have speed issues) just run tmerge with the appropriate switch on the approriate file(s).
Iceman

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”