BioEd Installation and COW.Reg Issue

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Legun

RE: BioEd Installation and COW.Reg Issue

Post by Legun »

I have installed my TAOWIII in directory:
C:\ACOW

How should my COW.reg file look like?

Please, help [&o]
Ralph - please, give my the composite units!
http://www.tdg.nu/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148781589
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Legun

I have installed my TAOWIII in directory:
C:\ACOW

How should my COW.reg file look like?

Please, help [&o]

Don't you have ACOW? If so, you don't need to muck with the COW.reg. BioEd should use the ACOW graphics.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Legun

Post by Legun »

I have not ACOW installed - I just have the directory with such name.
I had installed ACOW on my old stationary PC. I use its HD as an external HD for archive purpose, now.
Anyway, I have installed TOAWIII on my present laptop in the directory "ACOW" to have it on the top of the list of my directories. 
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Legun, did you see the above post #13 from IronDuke? I have COW so I didn't need to make the registry change, but it seems like Mr. Iron and vahauser found the proper configuration in the above posts. The original instructions are found in the 'manuals' folder in the 'How to edit the equipment database' pdf.
Legun

Post by Legun »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Legun, did you see the above post #13 from IronDuke? I have COW so I didn't need to make the registry change, but it seems like Mr. Iron and vahauser found the proper configuration in the above posts. The original instructions are found in the 'manuals' folder in the 'How to edit the equipment database' pdf.
I've tried this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TalonSoft\The Operational Art of War, CW]
“game_path”=”C:\\ACOW”

but there is no effect :(
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I have not ACOW installed...

Well then, re-install it. If space is really an issue, then delete everything except the few graphic files BioEd uses.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Legun

Post by Legun »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Well then, re-install it. If space is really an issue, then delete everything except the few graphic files BioEd uses.
Space isn't an issue - I just can't find the ACOW CD :(. The little registry change could save the problem - but someone who know what I should change is needed. Is there anybody out there?..
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Space isn't an issue - I just can't find the ACOW CD :(. The little registry change could save the problem - but someone who know what I should change is needed. Is there anybody out there?..

I have files that allow ACOW to run without the disc. Dunno exactly how, though -- Ben helped me through it one afternoon, and now I run ACOW without the disc. I can e-mail you my 'discless TOAW' folder and you can make of it what you can. Perhaps you might also point me to what registry entries to look for.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Legun

Post by Legun »

Thanks, Colin. I'm not sure if it's possible to install ACOW without the disc, but I could try. Send it, if you can.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

Jarek:

I sent off what seemed to be what you need to the address I have for you. If nothing shows up, e-mail me with your correct address. wrightmoving@sbcglobal.net
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Legun

Post by Legun »

Colin,
I've got it - I hope to use it tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

I'm a novice trying to get the bioed to work. I have ACOWEdit.exe installed into my Matrix games folder and I just titled a notepad file with Ralph's info titled COW.REG in my Operational art of war folder. I open up the bioed, check database, and tab to units. But when i try to type a name for a unit, I get 'runtime error 9 -subscript out of range' then bioed crashes. I can see there's a sequence to follow and that I have a lot to learn. But if there's someone with the patience, I'm ready to go with Erik Nygaard's naval values to make a house rule governed database that should revolutionize naval combat(to some degree).
Legun

Post by Legun »

Colin:
There is a problem with "acow104.exe" file. It informs me that it can't create a file when unzipped. I don't know if this is a mistake caused by e-mail or a system problem.
Ralph and Bob - I've reinstalled my TOAWIII to standard directory, made the REG file exactly you suggest but the problem with BioEd still exist [:(]. Any idea what's going on?
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

Colin:
There is a problem with "acow104.exe" file. It informs me that it can't create a file when unzipped. I don't know if this is a mistake caused by e-mail or a system problem.

I'll e-mail it to you again, but beyond that, not much I can do. All I can recall is that Ben sent me a bunch of files, I flailed around with them for a while, and then things ran.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
noxious

Post by noxious »

There is an alternative to BioEd : ODD, by Curt Chambers, which includes other tools for scen design as well as an equipment editor. It doesn't need additional COW exes. 
Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

Thanks noxious. I'll check it out.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

It looks interesting, though it seems to assume some knowledge of scenario design -which I have none. I would like to modify an existing scenario's database(naval units)Apparently there is some document involving converting .sce to .xml I have to read. I've read the readme. Can anyone help me?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Colin:
Ralph and Bob - I've reinstalled my TOAWIII to standard directory, made the REG file exactly you suggest but the problem with BioEd still exist [:(]. Any idea what's going on?

I don't know if Jarek ever figured this out, but I thought of a simple solution that doesn't require ACOW or mucking with the registry. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Simply create this folder path:

C:\Program Files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics

Then copy the contents of the TOAW III Graphics folder into it. BioEd shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Hey, Bob.

I had to install all the stuff that goes with TOAW III on a different computer and that includes BioEd. I had problems loading my ACOW cd; getting pop ups saying "the file couldn't be read from the source" or some crap like that. After trying a number of ideas I decided to see if I could set it up using that method you listed in your BioEd primer for folks without the ACOW cd. However, I needed some more information on how to get that notepad file set up to activate. That took me to this thread and finally reading this:

"Simply create this folder path:

Then copy the contents of the TOAW III Graphics folder into it. BioEd shouldn't be able to tell the difference."

!!!

Bob, you're smarter than a white hog. This works.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Sertorius1

Hey, Bob.

I had to install all the stuff that goes with TOAW III on a different computer and that includes BioEd. I had problems loading my ACOW cd; getting pop ups saying "the file couldn't be read from the source" or some crap like that. After trying a number of ideas I decided to see if I could set it up using that method you listed in your BioEd primer for folks without the ACOW cd. However, I needed some more information on how to get that notepad file set up to activate. That took me to this thread and finally reading this:

"Simply create this folder path:

Then copy the contents of the TOAW III Graphics folder into it. BioEd shouldn't be able to tell the difference."

!!!

Bob, you're smarter than a white hog. This works.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Glad to hear it. I only wish I had thought of it earlier before sending everyone down that Registry rat hole.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “TOAW III Support”