Great Game!

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

KyleK

Great Game!

Post by KyleK »

Best Christmas Software EVER! T Y Santa. I have played a few of GG's titles and this one isn't letting me down one bit.
[&o] . [&o] . [&o]

Unlike some of the other new players to this game I decided to actually read the manual and played a few mock turns into 62' playing both sides to get a feel for the game! Made some mistakes, scratched my head alot and reread many sections of the manual again before starting off on my first AI campaign. Bad Robot &?@#![;)]

Some things I'm noticing as I approach the second winter season in my first tussle with the AI.

- Even unscouted, troops get beat up trying to move into Virgina with only "2" attack infantry leaders. Twice now I have been denied in Manasus by those darn Rebels. Don't try it at home kids, wait for "3's" before taking on the Rebs in Virgina I think.

- The CSC rule and limited recovery take this good game and make it a great one. Looking forward to hidden and random stats when and if the AI gets to easy for me.

- Careful when you load up with CSC's , I loaded up some that still had units attached. I found that in the preceding roll over text box for the Corp Commander the negative wasn't added into the modifier making me think I wasn't getting a minus modifier when I actually was. It will correct itself on the next turn but beware, if your not paying attention you could be in for a surprise.

- Oh I almost forgot the most important observation , don't right click on the wrong spot.

Anyway, had to sign up and post to say thanks 2by3 and Matrix, well done.

Nami Koshino

RE: Great Game!

Post by Nami Koshino »

I've just started with this game myself and I have to agree. [:)] Well thought-out design although the learning curve is a bit Himalayan.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

as one of the testers on this game, I am very happy, you are enjoying it :)

one thing to remember as the commander, always be ready to shift your focus, if your battle plan becomes too stright forward, the AI will know and will be able to defend it

of course at times, the map will force you into one path or another, but most times, always try to keep some options open to you
GShock

Post by GShock »

What sarge says is true. As Union u have a distinct advantage in numbers and rail transport and can use this to move the AC and several troops across the land to attack some place the CSA can't defend because it simply lacks the rail points needed to perform the same counter move on its side. The west is particularly weak but all Mississipi regions are as well, provided you have achieved riverine supremacy.

It's good you read the manual but nothing can replace gaming experience...it's not a hard game to understand but now, winning, is a totally different thing. Cheers!
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Make sure you grab the latest update too.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”