Grand Strat game for Tactical player - Recommendations please? :-)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

leastonh1

Grand Strat game for Tactical player - Recommendations please? :-)

Post by leastonh1 »

Hi all,

I like tactical games, abstract games (which may or may not be tactical) and some operational games. The ones I've never managed to play with any consistency are the Grand Strategy titles. They intimidate me and all the ones I've tried have been far too complex or difficult.

Sooo, could any of you guys please recommend to me a title which could be seen as a stepping stone from the tactical to grand strategy? Not too complex, nor too simplistic. Does such a game exist? I keep looking at Commander - Europe at War. Is that suitable?

I hope that makes sense [:)]

Thank you kindly,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
sabre1

RE: Grand Strat game for Tactical player - Recommendations please? :-)

Post by sabre1 »

I love CEAW, but with the heck do I know. I usually get trounced by the AI on most games.  What about the Grigsby title Word at War?  I haven't purchased the Napoleon version yet of CEAW, but will down the road. 
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

Hearts of Iron 2.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

War in the Pacific......................[:D]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

WitP and HoI2 are good suggestions...if he was looking for that amount of depth...however, he's asking for something to ease him in when he said "Not too complex, nor too simplistic".

However...Jim, there are not any that spring to mind that are going to "ease" you in. For example, C:EaW is a good game. Very much beer and pretzels if you asked me. But it's too simplistic I think. There is not much in the way of strategic decisions to make. Sure, you're fighting on a large map but there's very little in the way of strategic decisions.

HoI2 is a great game, but that is the other end of the scale...very in depth.

And WitP is just off the scale difficult.

The new one out, War Plan Pacific might be up your street. Not much liked by grognards, but seems to be fairly warmly wlecomed by people who drowned with WitP. Details here
Alba gu' brath
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Bah.......WITP is easy........it is just big.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

War in the Pacific is irretatingly complicated.I can handle the complexity, but it's just unenjoyable.

I would get maybe Hearts of Iron 2.You don't always have to do the ''whole world'' scenarios as there are smaller scenarios that only cover a limited number of territories.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

You know being a teacher, you never, never tell students that something is easy when they are telling you it isn't. [;)]
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Uncommon Valor is a stepping stone I would think...
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

"Making History:The Calm and the Storm", I'd say is a great entry level game into grand strategy. It's all turn based and the interface is very easy to use. I put it above HOI's and GGWAW series and the rest as far as replayability and ease of play. You can play any nation and as the title says you can make your own history of WW2. I won't say the ai is excellent, but, then again what grand strategy ai is? It's challenging enough to enjoy the fun of the adventure of playing it though. It's probably pretty cheap at Strategy First or Amazon by now as well.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I agree. Well, perhaps not 'easy' but I was actually very surprised (having bought 'late') how easy it was to get to grips with - much easier than many titles supposedly far less complex. But, as the man says it IS big, there is an awful lot to do and think about, and it takes a great deal of time to spare to do it justice. It does feel like a real wargame, though - because it is one. Most 'grand strategy' titles are not, they are strategy games with a war theme, which is something rather different.
GJK

Post by GJK »

Check out the free Hitler's War (yes, from the boardgame of the same name). Very easy to play (hotseat or via internet only, no AI unfortunately). I dug this up the other day and started playing hotseat the Barbarossa campaign game. Cool little game! I had a good run of attacks with Army Group Centre to the point that I over-extended them and in the ensuing Russian turn, I managed to cut them off. So, I had to launch an Operation Uranus type action to relieve them (which I was able to do) only to later have Army Group South cut off and then lost because I couldn't break through to relieve them. Give it a try, you might enjoy it.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! [&o]

There are a lot of games there to go at, so I'm looking at the reviews and details of them all and will probably buy at least a couple to begin with.

I really appreciate your help as always [:D]
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Grell

Post by Grell »

I would go with Gary Grigsby's World at War.

Regards,

Grell
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

If you want some games that combine tactical combat and the grand strategy scale, you should also consider Forge of Freedom and the upcoming Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition, though both are much more complex as far as introducing you to grand strategy than CEAW or A World Divided. Both CEAW and AWD are highly recommended as well.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

If it is so easy, then why do I feel it is totally unplayable? I think WiF, the boardgame is easier than that?
panzers

Post by panzers »

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

"Making History:The Calm and the Storm", I'd say is a great entry level game into grand strategy. It's all turn based and the interface is very easy to use. I put it above HOI's and GGWAW series and the rest as far as replayability and ease of play. You can play any nation and as the title says you can make your own history of WW2. I won't say the ai is excellent, but, then again what grand strategy ai is? It's challenging enough to enjoy the fun of the adventure of playing it though. It's probably pretty cheap at Strategy First or Amazon by now as well.
There are two things that have anything at all whatsoever to WWII, The technology and units, and the the one and only historical event of the game: the anschluss, and even then it happens at any time in March 1938, not on March 12, the original date. After that, anything goes including possibilities like a German/French alliance or even if you are a non aggressive German, you actually are liked by the British, so An anglo/German alliance is not under the realm of possibility. I once played a game where everyone but Germany and France were at war and the Americans were only at war with the Russians
Iron bottom sound in that game was the north sea and the Baltic Sea and almost the entire Japaneese navy was there while the passve Germans watched everyone sink.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

What distinguishes HoI 2 from similiar titles is, how narrow the different aspects of gameplay are linked here. It requires foresighted planning of production chains, accurate distribution of ressources and research results pursuing your schedule - all from the very beginning in 1936. Par example: by playing Germany I need my naval forces built the moment France surrenders. So I can immediately go for Sealion after and get my troops back in time for invasion of Scandinavia and Barbarossa Campaign. Every delay would mess up my later war plans.

To summarize it: the challenge in HoI 2 comes from figuring out the perfect setup, while other WW2 grand strategy titles are rather about waging war.
Canuck_jp

Post by Canuck_jp »

Yeah isn't Forge of Freedom a grand scale game (within the United States) with the ability to resolve battles tactically?  That seems like the OP's best bet (assuming he's into Civil War)
Missouri Rebel

Post by Missouri Rebel »

I second the recommendation for Forge of Freedom . Best bang for the buck than any game I have ever purchased. Why sacrifice tactical for strategic when you could have both? One of the the great thing about FoF is that the complexity can be tweeked up or down depending on the level of detail that you want to play with.

Here is a screen that shows some of the options that can be chosen prior to starting a game. Notice 3 choices for determining battle results. Instant Combat (the computer calculates all aspects of the battle given the situation and circumstances), Quick Combat (the player places his units on a 'battlemap' and the computer plays out the results based on many factors including placement) and Detailed Battle (where all of your units present actually exist on generated maps and you, the player, fight the complete tactical battle in a turn-based simulation). As a plus,you can fight some battles as Instant and some as Detailed during the course of a strat.turn. This allows you to quickly resolve battles where the outcome is obvious.

There are so many great parts of FoF that make this the title to buy. I wish I had the time to point some of them out. Get it, you will not be disappointed. 2 years later and I am still playing this gem.

Sorry about the quality of the screenshot....messed it up trying to get the size down.

mo reb

Attachments
options.jpg
options.jpg (206.28 KiB) Viewed 100 times
We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

Return to “General Discussion”