Market Garden - bridge at Heavedrom

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

PzB74

Market Garden - bridge at Heavedrom

Post by PzB74 »

Had a replay of Market Garden pbem and this time something unusual happened.

My opponent is pretty good at this scenario and I'm usually always to late to relieve anything above the Waal [8|]

This time I decided on a more dedicated attempt to support Frost.
In response my opponent moved the 9th SS Aufklarings Bat across the railway bridge at Heavedrom to support his counter attack on the paras pressing on towards Arnhem Bridge.

I had not gotten close to the railway bridge at Heavdrom at this point, pretty used to it blowing up as soon as I get anywhere near it.

So next turn I attacked and shattered the 9th SS Auf Bat and then moved a unit towards the railway bridge at Heavdrom...which did not blow up [X(]

This of course changed the course of the game[8D]

What we're wondering about is whether there is a random chance whether the bridges across the Lower Rhine are blown up or not when airborne units try to cross them?

- Does it matter whether any German units cross them first?

I've tried to re-create the situation a few times and the bridges were blown up as they usually are. Would be nice to know if this is a fluke or just a low % random event.

Attachments
heavedrombridge.jpg
heavedrombridge.jpg (191.05 KiB) Viewed 301 times

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Carl Myers

RE: Market Garden - bridge at Heavedrom

Post by Carl Myers »

The computer rolls an unseen die when an allied unit moves next to the bridge and on a 2 or more, the bridge blows.
PzB74

Post by PzB74 »

I assumed it had to be like this, you sure it is a single dice that is rolled?

The smaller bridges over the lower Rhine are just as important as the Arnhem bridge and if they are captured intact this is a most critical event.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Carl Myers

Post by Carl Myers »

ORIGINAL: PzB

I assumed it had to be like this, you sure it is a single dice that is rolled?

The smaller bridges over the lower Rhine are just as important as the Arnhem bridge and if they are captured intact this is a most critical event.

Yes.
Gregor_SSG

Post by Gregor_SSG »

You're right, a bridge left standing across the Rhine can make a big difference! It is the job of both players to carefully observe what happens at the ferry there, as there is that 1/6 chance that it will suddenly come into play.

Gregor
Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

Return to “Battlefront”