Random Maps and towns.

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

82ndtrooper

Random Maps and towns.

Post by 82ndtrooper »

every time i make a random map no matter what settings i use it creates little towns about 5 hexs from each other all over the map, i mean the maps are littered with them. They are every where every 5 hexs.

is there anyway to lower the number of these small towns ?
HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80
Westheim

RE: Random Maps and towns.

Post by Westheim »

You should try to play with the town size option when setting up a map. I never really bothered, because I like the mix the standard setting produces, but with a setting higher than the standard and at the same time less VP locations overall you should be able to get less VP locations, which are in turn of bigger size on average.
Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!
Vic

Post by Vic »

Switch off the "Optimize for AI" button.

kind reg,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

As Vic mentioned, these are generated by the 'Optimize for AI' option.... and the reason (as has been stated previously) is that the computer AI is able to function much better with these villages.

As a player, I usually use these 500 point villages for supply or PP.... takes them longer than a turn for anything else.... but for supply and PP they function pretty good allowing me to have my larger cities concentrate on producing units. The computer AI probably uses them the same way and that is why it functions better with this option.

Oh, one thing I should say here, what I have learned recently, is a play balance option that is not a selection is the size of the map you create compared to the number of computer opponents. For me, I can always beat the computer AI to the punch as far as initial exploration is concerned but if the concentration of computer opponents is great then this advantage is minimized. Also, when the concentration goes up the cost of research goes down and, with me giving the computer opponents AI+, this is to their advantage as well.

So, if you want a tougher challange, increase the number of computer opponents with the same size map or decrease the size of the map while keeping the number of computer opponents the same. If what you are generating is TOO tough, then go in the opposite direction.

Z
82ndtrooper

Post by 82ndtrooper »

ok great guys and thanks
HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”