The First Team: Take Two!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

John 3rd

The First Team: Take Two!

Post by John 3rd »

This is an AAR using Brian's 1.5 Version of his Scenario 192.

It is the second start to this campaign due to map sync issues that Brad had regarding his download of Andrew's map. The Opponents have changed some in that Fog of War--formally Tally Ho--has joined Paul Layne (Wolfpack) as our noble--BUT DOOMED--opponents.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Q-Ball

East Wind, Rain

Post by Q-Ball »

This time we have a bit more of a plan, and as of this writing, still making final edits to turn one. Hopefully it's a good one!

Initial Plans: SE Asia, DEI
I have initial control of operations in the DEI, PI, and Malaya. Overall, our primary objective is the conquest of India. The most important objective before this can be launched is the capture of Singapore; this is the only absolute pre-condition to an attack on India. For this reason, we are committing max effort to reduce this bastion. Everywhere else, the overall plan is to capture important supply sources, and otherwise isolate large Allied garrisons.

Malaya:
A total of 4 divisions plus support troops are detailed to Malaya. We are unloading 2 Divisions at Singora, the 5th and 18th, on Dec. 7. Imperial Gds is marching overland toward Singora. The 16th will unload approx. the 12th. The idea is that we save disruption from unloading over the beaches at Khota Bharu; a large force taking Alor Star will force a retreat from Khota anyway.
Nells and Zeros from Kompong Son will hit Singapore Turn 1, with the primary objective of knocking out some UK Torp planes. (HR precludes Port Attack). To me the only Allied forces that can ruin our day are Force Z, and those torp bombers.

DEI:
The initial plan is to quickly establish an umbrella of Nell/Zeros from size-4 airbases, to stop Allied shipping in the DEI. After that, we will obviously need to clear the Allies out and seize the Oil and Resources down here.
Kuching: An invasion convoy will sail from Saigon Dec 8th.
Amboina: D-Day on Amboina is Dec 10th, from 2 SNLF forces out of Palau. This will be the first step in the Southern DEI.
Initial Targets will be Amboina, Kendari, Koepang in the South, and Kuching, Tarakan, Balikpapan in the north.

PI:
The initial plan is to land in force on Luzon; we need to drive the Allies back from the supply sources on Luzon, to either Clark or Manila. Once they withdraw to one of those, we will likely reduce the Luzon campaign to 2 divisions and lots of bombing. The idea will be to starve them out.
Initial landings will happen at Appari and Vigan on the north coast, mostly just to set up airbases and unload troops “from the Pier”
D-Day on Jolo is Dec 10th; this will prevent the mass evacuation of units from the PI, or the use of AK’s to move supplies from outlying islands into Manila.

Initial Sub dispositions:
DEI/SE Asia: Subs are positioned to take shots at Tromp, Java, Boise if those TF’s remain on course. Others positioned in likely sea lanes, or approach lanes to Kuching.
CENT PAC: All the subs around Pearl are moved to new areas. Some are moving b/w Hawaii and San Fran, and others around Johnson Is to maybe look for/take a shot at those CVs. Glen subs are forming a picket line through Gilbert/Ellice islands to be on lookout for CVs and other ships. Other subs moving to Solomons to support operations there.
John 3rd

Tora, Tora, Tora

Post by John 3rd »

The turn has been sent.  Thank God!  I have never spent so much time on a first move in my gaming life.  There is no doubt that this will be a better move on our part.  I just hope Nagumo remembers to take some of those new Torps to Pearl Harbor with him!

ny59giants

RE: Tora, Tora, Tora

Post by ny59giants »

Amboina: D-Day on Amboina is Dec 10th, from 2 SNLF forces out of Palau. This will be the first step in the Southern DEI.
Initial Targets will be Amboina, Kendari, Koepang in the South, and Kuching, Tarakan, Balikpapan in the north.

While Tarakan and Balikpapan seem important to take early, I would take Ambonia, Kendari, and then Koepang (Lautem is fourth option). Close off the retreat to Darwin. Make it very difficult for any of their short legged LBA making it to Australia.

56th Bde can go to Kendari along with a BF. Kendari is the main source of supply for the Dutch early due to the Resource center. Basing Nell/Betty there will help choke off his shipping in the eastern SRA.

I think its better to reach deeper and then come back to back fill those by-passed bases.
[center]Image[/center]
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
While Tarakan and Balikpapan seem important to take early, I would take Ambonia, Kendari, and then Koepang (Lautem is fourth option). Close off the retreat to Darwin. Make it very difficult for any of their short legged LBA making it to Australia.

56th Bde can go to Kendari along with a BF. Kendari is the main source of supply for the Dutch early due to the Resource center. Basing Nell/Betty there will help choke off his shipping in the eastern SRA.

I think its better to reach deeper and then come back to back fill those by-passed bases.

I agree completely, hence the early landing on Amboina. I would land Dec 7th, but don't want to be too "gamey" on first turn move, since that is not historical. But an early objective is to capture Timor and prevent P-40 transfers to/from Australia.

I thought about leaving Mindanao, but I don't like to leave the resource center at Davao cranking out supplies for the troops there. 56th Bde won't be there long, just enough to capture Davao. The rest of the troops can starve.

Tarakan can probably be skipped for Balikpapan.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I thought about leaving Mindanao, but I don't like to leave the resource center at Davao cranking out supplies for the troops there. 56th Bde won't be there long, just enough to capture Davao. The rest of the troops can starve.

As an Allied player, I would rather lose Davao than Kendari early in the war. I don't know how many games you have played as the Allies, but your early war mind set needs to shift over to what will hurt the Allies worse. A rapid thrust to Ambonia, Kendari, and then Koepang is the worse news for an Allied player concerning the eastern SRA, IMO. Mini-KB or others carriers support this makes it very easy.

Placing Nell/Betty at Kendari and Koepang shuts down any shipping moving out from Soerbaja south or east. Kuching cuts off the straits between Java and Sumatra. In less than two weeks, you can cut off Java and pretty much isolate the SRA from most shipping and some warships.
[center]Image[/center]
John 3rd

Pacific Planning

Post by John 3rd »

I just got done with a massive update on my Forlorn Hopes AAR and am on a roll so here I come.

Japanese Planning:
1.  Port Attacks
Pearl Harbor
We leave the 4 largest Japanese CVs (Akagi/Kaga, Shokaku/Zuikaku) to hit Pearl.  Two Daitai of Zeros will hit the AF with a Daitai of Vals to drop bombs.  That should be enough to inflict decent aerial casualties on the American Planes.  The remaining 3 Daitai of Vals and all 4 Daitai of Kates will hit the Harbor.  If we can get one Kate group to carry Torps life will be better and if TWO carry then life is great; therefore, NONE will carry Torps.

Once the base has been hit I will retire SW and then swing around the southern Hawaiian Border and try to catch some fish...

To support this, a TF of AOs will depart Kwajalein no later then December 10th.

Manila Bay
The problem with the first time through this campaign was that Brad and I tried to keep our CVs separate in the Manila Strike and we paid for it when the attack developed in two waves.  This will no happen again.  ALL remaining CVs are concentrated just west of Manila Bay.  The attack upon the Harbor should comprise about 25 Z, 36 Val, and 100 Kate.  Again if there are Torps dropped then we should get a much better result.  I want to sink at least 6-8 SS on this strike.

There are enough warships added to this concentration that the CVs will be reshuffled after the 7th into 2 CV TF (CarDiv2 and Zuiho in one and Ryujo, Taiyo, and Hosho in the other)  and 3-4 STF that will catch fleeing shipping.  By the end of the 3rd day I want at least 25 ships sunk from Manila Bay.  We'll see.

2. CarDiv2 Moves
After the Manila strike, my CVs will sprint southwards towards Balikpapan in the hopes of plastering some American warships.  After two days here they will either swing southwards towards Timor and Amboina or move east towards Palau.  It will depend on the situation.  There are 2 AO at Palau fueling to help extend these ship's range and duration of patrol.  Once Amboina is dealt with the carriers shall say good enough and move to support the Rabaul/Port Moresby Operations.

3. Truk
A large amount of additional units are being sent here.  Major HQ including Combined Fleet, 11th Air Fleet, an Air Flotilla, and 14th Army will handle leadership while the 56th Inf Div and South Seas Force provide the punch for landings at Rabaul and Port Moresby.  Once these bases are taken the entire KB will unite to move towards capturing Noumea.  Additional Fleet strength in the form of the CAs that hit Guam and 2 BC will bolster surface naval strength here.

4. Kwajalein
Several large Naval Guard units, a pair of Special Base Forces, and 4-6 Con Btn will strengthen this base for its operations.  Initial landings are planned at Tarawa and Wake.  I don't believe in landing at these bases on Day 1 and so TF will be formed on the 8th to land about the 12th.  A separate landing will be directed at Tulagi and Lunga for base preparation supporting the Noumea Operation.     

5. Burma
Thanks to Michael's suggestions and several lengthy chats with Brad we are changing the outlook of the Burma invasion. 

Port Blair
A small Parachute landing by 1st Regiment will take Port Blair in the opening days.  A small BF will be flown in so we can get air search units flying out of there by Dec 10th.  This move should make the Allied players nervous I hope to draw the AVG down to Rangoon so it doesn't mess with the main Parachute Landing.

Lashio
On or about the 12th, nearly 150 Troop Transport planes will drop the 1st and 2nd Para Regiments to grab this important target.  The following day will see an Aviation Regiment begin to be airlifted in with at least 2 Daitai of Zeros for CAP.  If things are still going well then the 35th Brigade will airlift into the target area.  The goal is to keep the Chinese OUT of Burma.  If they are denied Lashio then they will try for Myitkyina.  That will take more time and--hopefully--we'll have that base before the Chinese can reach it.

Invasion Force
Burma Army, another Army HQ, 2 Inf Div, 3 Tk Reg, 3 Art units, and about half a dozen other units will move through Rahaeng and attack southern Burma.

6. India
We shall look at a solid invasion of eastern India once Singapore falls.  A landing force of 3-4 Japanese Inf Div is envisioned for the attack here.  The goal will be to play hammer and anvil with the Burma invasion coming up from the south and the Japanese India landing coming from the west.  There will probably be another major Parachute Landing during this phase of operations.

Those our my/our initial plans going past what Brad has already described.  It should be FUN!

ny59giants

RE: Pacific Planning

Post by ny59giants »

India
We shall look at a solid invasion of eastern India once Singapore falls. A landing force of 3-4 Japanese Inf Div is envisioned for the attack here. The goal will be to play hammer and anvil with the Burma invasion coming up from the south and the Japanese India landing coming from the west. There will probably be another major Parachute Landing during this phase of operations.

I would say the 3 or 4 division is enough to keep Burma under wraps, but no where need enough to take India. In this mod, India has a significant number of brigades with Assault Values just over 100. There are Indian divisions in Bombay, Delhi, and Calcutta with the 18th British Division coming before you will get here.

You will need 8 to 10 infantry divisions, every tank rgt/bde you have, and all your para capable troops.

You can do the usual Japanese landings on Ceylon, but you can also bypass it initially and land easily at Trivandrum - AF 1(4) with your para, construct eng, a large BF, and a few divisions to keep them honest. Columbo can be closed by your carriers first. My main landing would be up the coast Pangim - Port 4(4) along with a para at Poona to try to isolate Bombay. Both these landings are into clear coastal hexes (no combat bonuses). Any of the bases that have a BF have 9" and 6" CD guns that need to be suppressed. A SNLF and small BF sent to Addu Atoll will effectively bottle up the British Navy in the Arabian Sea. The push will be to cut off Karachi from the rest of India and isolate Bombay.
[center]Image[/center]
Q-Ball

East Wind, Rain

Post by Q-Ball »

Dec 7th Opening Turn

The first day went gloriously for the Empire, far better than our planning anticipated. By House Rule, port attacks could only be launched via flattops, so we split our attacks into one on Manila using Baby KB and Car Div 2 (Soryu, Hiryu), and one on Pearl using Car Divs 1 and 5.

The results were excellent, with many BBs damaged at Pearl, and 10 SS sunk at Manila.

In general, John and I will not be posting Combat Txt in this AAR, with the exception of interesting attacks, like the first turn port attacks:

Day Air attack on Manila , at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 5
A6M2 Zero x 30
D3A Val x 36
B5N Kate x 98
F1M2 Pete x 1

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val: 5 damaged
B5N Kate: 2 destroyed, 28 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
PT PT-41, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP President Madison, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AO Trinity, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Sturgeon, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Porpoise, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Asheville, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Sealion, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS Stingray, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PT PT-31, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Seawolf, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS Salmon, Torpedo hits 1
SS S-40, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Pike, Bomb hits 2, on fire
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
TK Mindanao, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Seal, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS S-41, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
SS Permit, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Princess of Negros, Bomb hits 1
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PG Tulsa, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Sagoland, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
SS Sailfish, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
SS Saury, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
SS Pickerel, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Corregidor, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Peary, Bomb hits 1, on fire
MSW Quail, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS Sculpin, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
18 x D3A Val bombing at 2000 feet
18 x B5N Kate bombing at 9000 feet
18 x D3A Val bombing at 2000 feet
18 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
18 x B5N Kate bombing at 5000 feet
12 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
5 x B5N Kate bombing at 10000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Clark Field , at 43,51

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 80
G3M Nell x 88
G4M1 Betty x 79
C5M Babs x 6
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 7

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 3
P-35A x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 2
P-40B Tomahawk x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 destroyed, 6 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 10 destroyed
P-35A: 16 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 12 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 10 destroyed
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
193 casualties reported
Guns lost 5
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 38
Airbase supply hits 15
Runway hits 255

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
3 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
11 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 5000 feet
6 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 5000 feet
10 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
11 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
2 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
4 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
3 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 5000 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 5000 feet
6 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet

4 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 5000 feet
4 x G3M Nell bombing at 5000 feet
2 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 5000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 114,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 72
D3A Val x 99
B5N Kate x 107

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1
P-36A Mohawk x 8
P-40C Tomahawk x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 2
P-40B Tomahawk x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 6 destroyed, 6 damaged
D3A Val: 8 destroyed, 24 damaged
B5N Kate: 12 destroyed, 51 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
P-36A Mohawk: 6 destroyed
P-40C Tomahawk: 6 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 7 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 19 destroyed
SBD Dauntless: 7 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 13 destroyed
B-18A Bolo: 2 destroyed
B-17D Fortress: 2 destroyed
A-20B Boston: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Honolulu, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AV Wright, Torpedo hits 1
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
SS Tautog, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Bagley, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AV Curtiss, Bomb hits 1
DD Litchfield, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP U.S. Grant, Bomb hits 1

Allied ground losses:
120 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Airbase hits 23
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 91

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x A6M2 Zero bombing at 2000 feet
14 x D3A Val bombing at 2000 feet
23 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
16 x A6M2 Zero bombing at 2000 feet
25 x D3A Val bombing at 2000 feet
25 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
26 x D3A Val bombing at 2000 feet
24 x B5N Kate bombing at 6000 feet
26 x D3A Val bombing at 2000 feet
23 x B5N Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Overall, over 260 aircraft were destroyed, including 11 Vildebeest Torp bombers at Singapore.

Dec 8th in DEI, SE Asia

Troops are unloading at Singora, and CAP is flying over this base already. We will finish unloading on the 9th, and be at the gates of Alor Star by the 11th with 3 divisions.

Landings are progressing at Vigan, Appari, and Davao. On the PI, we are landing in force to establish airbases and drive the Allies back on Clark or Manila.

Davao will be captured, and southern Mindanao cleared. The 56th Bde. will prep and be loaded pretty quickly for destination elsewhere, either Kendari or Koepang.

Invasion fleets are steaming for Amboina, Jolo, and Kuching. D-Day for Amboina and Jolo will be the 10th; Kuching, the 11th or 12th.
ny59giants

RE: East Wind, Rain

Post by ny59giants »

25% of the Kates at Pearl launches successful torpedo attacks.
The dice gods have "finally" smiled on Sir John. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Can you give us a run-down of the differences between this scenario/mod and stock... I'm curious as to what is present that will change operational or strategic planning.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
John 3rd

East Wind, Torpedos!!!

Post by John 3rd »

Pearl Harbor  0830-1035 Hours

Over Pearl Harbor appears a Strike Force of 72 Zero, 99 Val, and 107 Kate that flew from CarDiv1 and 5.  Taking a huge risk, Adm Nagumo leaves only 7 Zeros to fly CAP over his flattops. Surprise wasn't complete as 24 Fighters took to the air to attack the aerial armada.  The Kido Butai's elite Zero-sen pilots, at a cost of 2 Zero, managed to shot down 20 American Fighters.  Four managed to pierce the CAP and shot down 4 Val and 6 Kate.

With aerial supremacy achieved, two Daitai of Zeros (CarDiv 5) attack the AF while one Daitai of Val (Shokaku) support by nailing Hickam Field with their bombs.  The Japanese lose 4 more Zero and 3 Val to AA fire over the airfields.  At the end of the AF attack, the totals for destroyed planes (air and ground) are 37 Fighters, 12 PBY, 7 2EB, 2 B-17, and 4 SBD==62 planes.  The AF are hit a total of 91 times.

The Harbor suffers as all remaining elements of the Japanese Strike (3 Val and all 4 Kate Daitai) crush Battleship Row.  Fortunately the Japanese engineers have figured out how to safely make Torpedo drop in the shallow harbor.  While the Vals mainly hit the Battleships, several do peal off to hit lesser ships to good effect.  The center of the assault is, of course, Battleship Row and all 8 American BBs take a fearful pounding.  Shokaku's Kates drop 800 KB bombs from 9,000 Ft while all THREE ([:D][8D][:D]) of the remaining Kate Daitai drop their deadly missiles into the water.  So many Torpedos strike in such a short time that keeping tally was difficult for Commander Fuchida as he observed the attack.  It is known that Akagi and Kaga Kates slammed 6 Torps into the Flagship of the Pacific Fleet--Pennsylvania while Zuikaku Kates pack 5 Torps into the vulnerable side of Oklahoma.  That old battlehsip capsizes into the mud.  The most spectacular moment of the attack comes when Shokaku's Kates drop their 16" Shells and ingnite a powerful powder magasine explosion with the West Virginia that blew the ship nearly out of the water.

Battleships
Arizona  2 Torps, 1 800 Kg and 2 250 Kb Bombs---on Fire
Oklahoma  7 Torps and 4 250 Kg Bombs---SUNK!
Nevada  1 Torp, 1 800 Kg and 4 250 Kg Bombs--on Fire
Pennsylvania  6 Torp and 2 250 Kg Bombs---Sinking Condition
California  3 Torp and 2 250 Kg Bombs---Heavy Damage
West Virginia  3 Torp, 2 800 Kg and 2 250 Kg Bombs---SUNK!
Maryland  3 Torp, 2 800 Kg and 5 250 Kg Bombs---Heavily Damaged
Tennessee 1 Torp and 4 250 Kg Bombs---On Fire

Other Ships
1 CA, 1 CL, 2 DD, 2 AV, SS Tautog, AP Grant

Considering the debate that occurred within this AAR, I think this set of results speak strongly in favor of a 4 CV Strike to open the war.  We got incredibly lucky to have 3 Daitai launch Torps AND get the Magasine explosion on West Virginia.  I would like to have seen more hits to the CA/CL docked there but this is a smashing attack!  Perhaps we'll get Pennsylvania too???   Losses were a little heavy for the attack:  7 Zero, 13 Val, and 15 Kates.

There is a bit of constrenation when a small Pearl Harbor counterattack develops after the KB had it planes down in the hangar decks.  A small force of 4 P-40 and 2 SBD follow the Japanese back to their carriers but are intercepted by 7 Zeros flying CAP.  The Zeros shot down a P-40, damage 2 more, but cannot shot down the SBDs before they dive on Zuikaku.  The Gods of War smile as both 1,000 lb bombs miss tot he quickly evading CV!

I don't believe in double PH attacks so the victorious Kido Butai sails directly for the Marshalls to support landing operations in the Central Pacific.   

Manila Bay  0630-0745 Hours (local Time)
Despite over two hours of warning regarding Pearl Harbor's attack, the Americans move very slowly to get the word out to clear the Harbor and establish a strong Combat Air Patrol over the harbor.  The 7 P-40 that do lift off just happen to blunder into the Japanese dawn strike coming in from 120 miles west of Manila.  The P-40s are heavily over-matched when they spot the Manila Bay Attack Force coming in with 36 Fighters, 36 Val, and 98 Kate.  The Zeros easily brush past the P-40s (shooting down 3 for NO COST) and the Attack Force leisurely sweep in for their attacks.

The Kates split evenly performing high level bombing runs and torpedo attacks while the Vals concentrate on the American subs.  Roughly 30 minutes later the Strike Force regroups and heads home having only lost two Kate for their effort.  There are several spectacular moments as Soryu's planes get massive explosions that sink SS Sargo, SS Porpoise and AV Langley.  Soryu's Kates also disentegrate AVD Childs with 3 Tropedo hits in 1 mimute.  CVL Zuiho has a Kate blow-up the old S-Boat S-41.  The final tally for their attack ends up with 8 SS, 2 S-Boats, AV Langley, AVD Childs, a PG, and 2 PT sunk.  A further 12 SS, 1 S-Boat, 1 DD, 1 MSW, 1 PG, 1 AO, 1 TK, 3 AK, and AP are damaged.

As the pilots return to their respective commands they can see smoke along the northern horizon as Clark Field is crushed.

Maginicient results with magasine explosions scored 3 times in the attack.  The Asiatic SS Force is out of the war for the next few months!  The Japanese Admirals split up with Yamaguchi making a sprint southwards towards Tarakan and Yamada taking the Mini-KB about 180 miles south.  They, too, do not worry about a second port attack on Manila Bay.  IT is known that nearly 150 Nells/Betty plan to hit the damaged ships remaining in the harbor on the 8th.

Clark Field  0815 Hours (local time)
The beginning of the war finds Clark Field horrifically unprepared.  Though they have had 3-4 hours of warning, the American planes are caught largely on the ground as the fury of the Formosa Strike crushes the American base.  Just 10 Fighters are on CAP when 80 Zero, and 167 Nell/Betty sweep down from the northwest.  All 10 fighters in the air are destroyed as well as another 38 fighters and 1 B-17 on the ground.  The AF is hit nearly 280 times during the attack.  WOW!  Clark Field is out for the remainder of the Philippine Campaign.

Malaya
Throughout the morning many British AFs in Malaya are hit.  Georgetown, Alor Star, Kota Bharu, and Singapore are hit.  Only at Singapore is there any real resistance when 8 Brewsters attempt to intercept 25 Zero and 93 Nells hitting the AF there.  The Brewsters are swept aside at a cost of 2 Zero and weak AA hardly bothers the bombardiers as they drop their bombloads on the AF below.  The Japanese only lose 2 Zero in exchange for 6 Brewsters, 2 Blenheim, 12 TB, and a PBY.  Each targeted AF gets hit and is damaged.

Throughout the Central Pacific numerous convoys carry Japanese troops, supplies, and fuel to Truk, Kwajalein, and Palau. 

Landings are made on Guam, Batan Isle, Davao, Vigan and at Aparri.

British Recon spots huge numbers of Japanese troops unloading from a myriad of ships at Singora.

Intelligence reports a similar situation at Bangkok.

At Kwajalein, troops begin to load onto the Wake Island Invasion Force, Tarawa Force, and Nauru Force...

THAT is the first day of this campaign.  Any thoughts/questions???

John 3rd

Philippine Strategy

Post by John 3rd »

This is pretty simple:

Attachments
Phil128.jpg
Phil128.jpg (155.27 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

John 3rd

Dec 7th Sinkings

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the butcher's bill for Day ONE:

Attachments
Sinkings127.jpg
Sinkings127.jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Can you give us a run-down of the differences between this scenario/mod and stock... I'm curious as to what is present that will change operational or strategic planning.

Great question, Nemo. I would rather Big B himself comment, but the primary differences are in two areas: A 2 A, and China.

In Air to Air, in general combat is less bloody. A premium is placed on maneuverability, and those ratings have been increased across the board. This means the Oscar isn't completely useless, and in general, that air combat has fewer losses.

In China, the change is significant. There are ALOT more Chinese troops; however, many of these are Static, and can only move if you force them out of the hex. This means that China is much more likely to repeat the historical situation, and develop into a stalemate. China is much harder to conquer in Big B. This changes strategic planning, in that it is harder to gain points here, but easier to draw troops from.

Other than that, there are alot of historical OOB changes and whatnot that lead to a better game.

I like the Big-B mod and have played it several times.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

HUGE Fan of Brian's work!

John 3rd

China Options

Post by John 3rd »

Brad and I HATE CHINA!

Brian's Mod puts lots of Chinese units on the board but they are static until attacked. If we leave them alone they leave us alone!

Brad and I don't have a real clear idea as to what to try and accomplish within this theatre. My experience has been terrible in my Forlorn Hopes AAR so we must do better.

Initial thoughts could be to clear Wuchow and try to open the supply line from Hanoi coming east towards Canton. If we could do JUST that it would be a real improvement.

Anyone have any input for us here?

Attachments
China128.jpg
China128.jpg (267.12 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

John 3rd

Strategic Vision

Post by John 3rd »

I have no clear visions for how we take eastern India and all of Burma. Brad and I have been exchanging emails and I've spoken with Michael on the phone today brainstorming.

The fundamental question is do we go for the Indian Throat and try to take the whole place or do we take a big bite, dig in, and hold? Both options are audacious but I am not sure which is better.

As I note on this screenshot perhaps a better idea is to take our time starting the Burma Offensive to make the guys THINK we're not coming full bore at them. Brad suggested we start prepping some China/Manchurian troops for Australia and hope that Allied Intelligence picks up on this. I think that is a great idea!

Fog of War (Tally Ho) had read our initial AAR and knows what we were planning. IF we make it look like we are going elsewhere then perhaps we can still achieve a level of surprise.

Brad said earlier today that once Singapore falls we should embark that entire Army (4 Inf Div plus lots of support) and immediately swing it at India. Figure Singapore falls by January 15th, we could land an Invasion at Cuttack or Viza by mid-February. Add the Army coming up from southern Burma (3 Inf Div and support) and we might have a real shot at something.

Brad and Michael also started talking about units to pull from China and Manchuria to support this move. I agree with them that we pull ALL Tanks and some of the Heavy Artillery units out of these locations to augment the units moving into India.

This is a lot of thinking, strategizing, and contemplation. Anyone got any bright ideas???

Attachments
BurmaIndia.jpg
BurmaIndia.jpg (233.3 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

2ndACR

RE: Strategic Vision

Post by 2ndACR »

Suck as many troops into Burma as you can before hitting India. Grab a count of units at start, all over India, note major troops, keep the watching Bruma. If you see 20+ units at Mandalay, well he stripped India of a good portion.

I would hit Viz unless you go after Ceylon first. Only draw back is there are multiple airfields on both side to hit you from.
castor troy

RE: Strategic Vision

Post by castor troy »

The biggest advantage for the Allied in China in BigB mod is the fact that they´ve got so many more units - static units. And that´s their biggest disadvantage at the same time. The goal is to surround them and if you keep them surrounded, they die. You can mass your troops for attacks and you don´t have to keep thousands of assault points at other fronts as most of the enemy units are static anyway. Of course you DON`T want to strip your frontlines totally, keep a couple of bgds behind high level forts and if your enemy reacts to your offensives with a counteroffensive he will soon find out that he can´t break your forts and he can´t afford the supply usage. You still have the advantage of having more units that can move, you have tanks and you can bring in the supply you need.

And this is the next major disadvantage of the Chinese units. I know that Brian has adjusted the supply production to the now bigger number of units. BUT supply is still a big issue for the Chinese. And if you surround the enemy and destroy him, then those units will come back at 1/3 strenght at Chungking. A Chinese corps with 100 assault points and not much supply isn´t a threat and those units won´t grow as there won´t be a lot of supplies at Chungking once you get your offensives going.

Return to “After Action Reports”